SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    hear ye hear ye Dilly Dilly!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

hear ye hear ye Dilly Dilly! Login/Join 
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted
The Royal Link

Video at the Royal Link

Bud Light Sent a Hilarious Cease-and-Desist
Scroll to the Makers of ‘Dilly Dilly’ Ale
Delivered by a town crier, along with two Super Bowl tickets

By Tim Nudd|3 days ago
Bud Light has continued its seemingly endless “Dilly Dilly” antics by responding benevolently to a craft brewer that made a “Dilly Dilly” IPA—with a friendly cease-and-desist letter written on parchment and delivered by a town crier.

Modist Brewing Company in Minneapolis made the new “Dilly Dilly” Mosaic Double IPA, named for the cryptic but popular catchphrase from recent medieval-themed Bud Light ads. Having trademarked “Dilly Dilly,” A-B InBev needed to nip this in the bud. So, it sent a guy in medieval garb to Modist’s lobby, where he read the cease-and-desist scroll aloud:

We’ve seen a number of chatty cease-and-desist letters from brands recently, but this one ranks up there with the best of them. First, much as Netflix’s note to a rogue Stranger Things bar did, this missive simply asks Modist to keep things to a limited run. Second, it’s amusingly written, in keeping with the “Dilly Dilly” humor. And third, adding in two Super Bowl tickets for Modist employees is a very gracious gesture—and shows some recognition that anyone’s “Dilly Dilly” beer, on some level, will benefit Bud Light.

Here’s the full text of the scroll:

Dear friend of the Crown, Modist Brewing Company. Congratulations on the launch of your new beer, Dilly Dilly Mosaic Double IPA! Let it be known that we believe any beer shared between friends is a fine beer indeed. And we are duly flattered by your loyal tribute. However, “Dilly Dilly” is the motto of our realm, so we humbly ask that you keep this to a limited-edition, one-time-only run. This is by order of the king. Disobedience shall be met with additional scrolls, then a formal warning, and finally, a private tour of the Pit of Misery. Please send a raven, letter or electronic mail to let us know that you agree to this request. Also, we will be in your fair citadel of Minneapolis for the Super Bowl, and would love to offer two thrones to said game for two of your finest employees to watch the festivities and enjoy a few Bud Lights. On us. Yours truthfully, Bud Light.

The friendly tone is particularly notable, given A-B InBev’s generally antagonistic relationship with craft brewers.

“This is a little out of character … I’ve gotta tip my hat to them,” Modist’s lawyer, Jeff O’Brien, told the Minneapolis City Paper. “We certainly would rather see it handled this way, with some humor.”

Edited ****
Found the video outside of the articles, hilarious and a great way to get out the message

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYVdkINXZaM

This message has been edited. Last edited by: HRK,

Posts: 23454 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
They may be trying to be humorous outwardly but don't think for a minute they aren't getting ready to crush this little craft brewer for this.
Roll Eyes

Posts: 33808 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Such a stupid and annoying catchphrase.

Seriously, what do pickles have to do with beer?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
Pssshaw....I like it....certainly better than their piss beer

Dilly Dilly Balze!

quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
Such a stupid and annoying catchphrase.

Seriously, what do pickles have to do with beer?

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Normality Contraindicated
Picture of italia
posted Hide Post
Dilly Dilly!

------------------------------------------------------
Though we choose between reality and madness
It's either sadness or euphoria

Posts: 2988 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
I find myself driving around saying, "Dilly Dilly!" quite often!

I hate Bud Lite, but I applaud their efforts on this.

Dilly Dilly!

Posts: 5760 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I can understand AB's need to protect their advertising slogan. And good for AB for doing it in this way, and doing a little something nice for the small brewer. AB could have insisted that it immediately recalls all the Dilly Dilly IPA already brewed and stop selling it.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
Maybe DQ should sue AB? Big Grin

Posts: 11165 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
I can understand AB's need to protect their advertising slogan. And good for AB for doing it in this way, and doing a little something nice for the small brewer. AB could have insisted that it immediately recalls all the Dilly Dilly IPA already brewed and stop selling it.

Agreed. They have to protect their TMs, even against the little guys, or they can't defend it later if a real competitor tramples it. Doing it in this way won't cost the small brewer anything, they just need to come up with a new name next time they brew it.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
They may be trying to be humorous outwardly but don't think for a minute they aren't getting ready to crush this little craft brewer for this.
Roll Eyes

Of course. I think its the other way around. They should be thanking AB for this. They used a trademarked phrase to name their beer.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Dilly dilly! Razz

God bless America.

Posts: 13502 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Budweiser offers some of the funniest, most imaginative and original commercials since the Land of Sky Blue Waters.

This suggestion/request/demand ranks right up there. I’ll bet a dozen highly compensated attorneys laughed their collective asses off over this little ditty.

Dilly x2

Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JJexp
posted Hide Post
That is outstanding, thanks for posting! Cool

Posts: 451 | Location: Hatboro, PA | Registered: May 25, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
"NOW I SEE IT!!"

Coming soon: Not one damn Dilly to be found in this forum.

Posts: 107588 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Did A-B InBev also copyright "Panther Piss"?

If it's not obvious, I can't stand Bud or Bud Lite. Frown

Their commercials (some) and apparent sense of humor here are their only redeeming values. Smile

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16215 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Apparently Jack Daniels (C) (R) TM Smile is known for writing nice letters as well.

Here's a letter and the story behind it that the ABA printed.
http://www.abajournal.com/news...g_exceeedingly_poli/

ETA

Here's another story with the letter included.

https://www.techdirt.com/artic...ase-and-desist.shtml

Posts: 271 | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
Well Modist Brewing Company just got a lot of free advertising.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Strambo:
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:

Agreed. They have to protect their TMs, even against the little guys, or they can't defend it later if a real competitor tramples it. Doing it in this way won't cost the small brewer anything, they just need to come up with a new name next time they brew it.
Both of you nailed it.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23255 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:

I look forward eagerly to that bright day.

Posts: 26905 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
quote:
I look forward eagerly to that bright day.
It's comin'. Took me about six seconds to decide this after the first time I saw that stuff in the forum.

Very soon, gents, if you put the word "dilly" in your post, your post won't reach the board. I just want memebrs to have a chance to see this before I start filtering that stuff.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107588 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post