SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Hearing protection: Is 34db necessary?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hearing protection: Is 34db necessary? Login/Join 
posted
I'm good, these will be for the pals I occasionally take to the range, often for the first time. We're talking mostly handguns, 12ga, and 22LR but sometimes ARs. I prefer Brownells, they're an IA company and I can shop in person.

These are 30db:

https://www.brownells.com/shoo...%7c30%2bdB%7c33%2bdB

These are 34db:

https://www.brownells.com/shoo...?avs%7cNRR_1=34%2bdB

For this kind of occasional use, will 30 db work?

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All I can say is, protect what you have, before it is gone.... That said, I wear 30 dB plugs and muffs, to save what I have left....

Posts: 1913 | Location: U.P. of michigan | Registered: March 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
i'd go with the Howard Leight L3 mickey mouse ears, along with Howard Leight foam earplugs to boot.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
Until I encountered a few at the range matches that used 38 Super/compensator attached that directed the sonic blast to everyone not actually holding that firearm as it ignited....

I took to using both the foam ear canal style under a decent set of muffs. After a couple episodes of tinnitus that dread malady has been avoided.

Your ears, treat 'em well.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: signewt,

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9854 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the speedy replies. My new buy will be for occasional shooters, I shoot "often" and use both Leight L3s (30db) with triple-flange plugs underneath, these:

https://www.brownells.com/shoo...muffs-prod39416.aspx

and

https://www.brownells.com/shoo...-plugs-prod6048.aspx

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sigmund,

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
The problem with ear protection is that they have to be worn properly. If the muff or plug isn't making a perfect seal, you don't get the max rating. Shooting glasses, hat movement, chewing/talking/jaw movement can shift around muffs and plugs.

For that reason, I always double up with plugs AND muffs, for both the combined noise protection and failover protection.

For bars, concerts, and clubs with loud music, I always bring some low profile, tan colored, triple flanged silicon noise filters that are similar to plugs but have a little pass through hole to allow low sound pressure through. Gives like -10 db to low sound and -22db for sound over 80db (or something, don't quite recall.)

Hearing loss is cumulative. Each little bit of damage adds on to the last, gradually changing the way you hear until one day you realize you don't hear the sparkle in the violins anymore or you get frustrated with everyone mumbling all the time.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[quote]Plugs and muffs for me to help preserve what hearing I have left.[/quote

$9.00 muffs, $5.00 worth of foam plugs have done very well for me for over 25 years

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54625 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Removed. Misread part of the post.

Posts: 5163 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
HUH?!

Big Grin

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I recall correctly, every 3db is a doubling of sound. That being said, I’ve doubled up since day two. Day one was a pair of 18 or 20db Peltors that didn’t cut it.

Posts: 958 | Registered: October 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Get as much NRR as you can get, especially if you shoot at indoor ranges. Your ears will thank you, maybe not right now, but in 10, 15 or 20 years, yes.

Posts: 27944 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not all who wander
are lost.
Picture of JohnV
posted Hide Post
I too double stuff (foamies and muffs) as much as possible. I also have tinittus and it sucks. The thing with ear pro is its not a linear equation. Someone smarter than me can explain it better, but in laymen terms, if you take 30nrr fomaies with 30nrr muffs, that does not equal 60nrr, not even close. The other consideration is its the concussion that causes ear damage. Muffs do a better job at deflecting it then the fomaies do. Also, even though your muffs may say 30nrr, your skull, mouth, nose....all are allowing that concussion to continue to bypass the muffs which can still over time damage your hearing.

So just about every ear protection thread always has that guy that mentions suppressors....so I'll be him this time. Thats why suppressors are so awesome. They actually reduce the noise rating the full stated amount. Most of them are around 30nrr give or take. So essentially, to me, that means its actually better to shoot suppressed with no ear pro, than it would be to shoot unsurpassed with similarly rated NRR plugs/muffs. Now i'm particularly paranoid about my hearing, and even shooting suppressed, I usually still wear some ear pro. Shooting steel especially, the bullet hitting the steel is louder than the shot.

Posted from my iPhone.

Posts: 4313 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: February 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:

For bars, concerts, and clubs with loud music, I always bring some low profile, tan colored, triple flanged silicon noise filters that are similar to plugs but have a little pass through hole to allow low sound pressure through. Gives like -10 db to low sound and -22db for sound over 80db (or something, don't quite recall.)

Now that sounds interesting (pun intended). Got a link? Concerts sure have gotten louder, but some theatres have as well.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
It can’t hurt to have as much hearing protection as possible—unless it costs too much or it makes the actual shooting difficult because it’s too large or otherwise unsuitable.

That said, the first two questions I always consider when deciding what’s adequate is whether the shooting is indoors or outdoors, and what guns are being fired—and how.

My hearing has suffered severe damage over the decades, and I am currently very sensitive to loud noises. I require muffs under any circumstances except for shooting with a suppressor or a .22 rimfire rifle, and then I use foam plugs. One set of muffs I normally use when firing a rifle and being around other rifle shooters outdoors is the MSA Supreme Pro-X. Despite its NRR of only19 dBA, which is obviously far less than 30 or 34, I have always found it to be adequate for me without doubling up with plugs. In fact, the other muff set I commonly use is the Pro-Ears Gold whose NRR is 26 (IIRC, but possibly 30), and I really cannot tell any sound level difference under most conditions between it and the MSA.

If the shooting won’t involve exceptionally loud guns (short barreled AR pistols, 44 Magnum snubbies, Miculek brakes, etc.), having someone else shooting exceptionally close (e.g., resting their handguards on one’s shoulder), or shooting in small cubicles indoors, I believe that an NRR of 30 would be fully adequate. I can’t support my belief other than personal experience, but if hearing protection can only delay the damage and not prevent it, then we should probably not expose ourselves to loud noises at all. Sooner or later most people who shoot will also be exposed to unprotected gunfire for one or more of several reasons. One high intensity noise experience can be sufficient for detectable hearing loss and tinnitus to develop. As far as I can tell, though, the hearing protection I use at an outdoor range keeps my devastated hearing from becoming worse.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47407 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Double or even triple up if you can.

I have high level hearing loss, and I have had it since I was about 23.

I learned I had it when I first went into the Army and it has gotten worse.

I always wear earplugs for everything from cutting grass, weed trimmers to shooting.

For me it sucks because it has severely limited my opportunities with the Army.

I am looking and researching audiologist to get custom fitted ear plugs. I am trying to save what I have left.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
Get the maximum protection you can. Myself, I would get 100db if only there was such a thing available.

As one who, in my early 60's, now wears hearing aids - protect your hearing the best you can.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16513 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am already deef.
Go big as you can get!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16086 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DamageInc
posted Hide Post
You can't have too much! I already have a little hearing loss from years of loud machinery, loud music, motorcycles, hunting, shooting, etc. And back in the old days in the Corps, we used those firm yellow foam ear plugs (that didn't seal worth a damn), so I'm sure that didn't help. I doubt that we got more than 5-10dB out of them. So I'm actually thankful that my hearing isn't worse than it is, given all the noise of my youth. I would like to keep what's left for as long as possible, so I almost always double up when shooting.

Posts: 3412 | Registered: June 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted Hide Post
Just keep in mind that "db" is a logrithimic scale, not linear. The better you an get, the more hearing you will save down the road.

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 3627 | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
I wear foam plugs and muffs.
I have Tinnitus and hearing loss, The VA gave me hearing aids that I don't like

Posts: 13020 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post