SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    USA Men's Soccer looked good today
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

USA Men's Soccer looked good today Login/Join 
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted
They beat Ghana 2 - 1 in the Gold Cup opener.(correction not the gold cup)

I was surprised at the high pressure we put on them.

The young guys did well.

http://www.espnfc.com/united-s...-despite-new-players

This message has been edited. Last edited by: PR64,

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3477 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
I missed it but saw the US soccer email about the win.

Glad to see dwyer out there, hes quite fast and really a pest at least in sporting games.

Naturally as a sporting fan i like to see besler out there as well.

Where was pulisic and yedlin?

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
The Coach was trying out new players. I made a mistake, it was not the gold cup opener. It was a friendly match.

Still a good win.

Dwyer ripped his goal!

Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3477 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Im still disappointed they got rid of juergen. Nice to have the new national facility in town though!

up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Deqlyn:
Im still disappointed they got rid of juergen. Nice to have the new national facility in town though!

I think they wanted an American coach. MAGA Smile

Klinsmann was Euro Centric in his approach to picking players and thats why I think they let him go. I liked him too.

Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
I liked him for the build factor to attempt to build a program much like germany. I think it will come but were still a generation or two away.

posted Hide Post
Not a fan of Klinsmann. Very glad to see him go.

Soccer in the USA is a unique proposition and having a European trying to do things the European way is not going to work.

And him not bringing LD to the WC was a colossal failure IMO. I knew he had to go at that point.

-------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
Not a fan of Klinsmann. Very glad to see him go.

Soccer in the USA is a unique proposition and having a European trying to do things the European way is not going to work.

And him not bringing LD to the WC was a colossal failure IMO. I knew he had to go at that point.

-------------------------------

That's the juxtaposition of WC soccer. If you never let the younger players gain experience you will never field a decent team over time. A great example of this is the Croatian team. WAY too political and old guys standing in the way of the younger guys gaining experience. The opposite is the german team, plenty more years left in a few of them but they're stepping down to let the younger team grow.

JK built the "farm system" that is Germany today, its what the US need to be successful in the future. Infrastructure. With footballs recent decline in middle schools I thought JK was a nice choice for it to take off.

I get we wont play euro style football anytime soon as that is not our culture currently but he would have been a great person to build from the ground up. It's obvious we were not patient enough to see that come to fruition.

up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
No....Were not patient enough.

We're Americans Dammit !!! Razz

Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
It's Ghana. I wouldn't be overly impressed. Hopeful,maybe Wink

Posts: 13813 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PR64:
They beat Ghana 2 - 1 in the Gold Cup opener.

That was a friendly. The GC starts on 7/7. Wink

Posts: 211 | Registered: June 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by POLLUX:
quote:

Came here to post that.

Yes, Jurgin tried to build a feeder system, but when all your best young athletes are focused on playing US football, basketball and baseball, it's not going to work. There are hundreds of Christian Pulisic(s) out there. They're just playing other sports.

JK was not a good sideline manager and made some really stupid tactical decisions.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3450 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CQB60:
It's Ghana. I wouldn't be overly impressed. Hopeful,maybe Wink

Ghana had a very impressive run 2 or 3 WCs ago. While they aren't known for being a powerhouse like Germany or France, it's a solid win.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9690 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by POLLUX:
quote:

Thank you...Yes oops. I corrected it in the third post.

Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blackmore:
Yes, Jurgin tried to build a feeder system, but when all your best young athletes are focused on playing US football, basketball and baseball, it's not going to work.

And his attempt to rely on the European system to feed him good American players took what would have inevitably been a very slow process and made it even slower. I like Jurgen and what he was trying to do, but I fear that success would've taken so long that everyone would've run out of any sort of hope or interest before his attempt really started generating results.

Bruce Arena might be able to persuade talented kids to play soccer rather than other sports in the US. I don't think Klinsmann would've known where to begin - or, perhaps, even considered trying to recruit career players from the vast bulk of the available talent that would otherwise get drained off into football, basketball, and other sports that are currently more popular in the US.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
quote:
Originally posted by Blackmore:
Yes, Jurgin tried to build a feeder system, but when all your best young athletes are focused on playing US football, basketball and baseball, it's not going to work.

And his attempt to rely on the European system to feed him good American players took what would have inevitably been a very slow process and made it even slower. I like Jurgen and what he was trying to do, but I fear that success would've taken so long that everyone would've run out of any sort of hope or interest before his attempt really started generating results.

Bruce Arena might be able to persuade talented kids to play soccer rather than other sports in the US. I don't think Klinsmann would've known where to begin - or, perhaps, even considered trying to recruit career players from the vast bulk of the available talent.

Good points.

If we want to begin to tap the potential - we need to get Men's (boys) Academies going into some of the large inner cities. We have the suburbs covered mining for talent.

But imagine if we could get even 20% of the top talent that currently goes to playing basketball or football. THEN we would be competitive internationally in the Men's game. Think Marshawn Lynch-type players training for world-class soccer at a young age! Big Grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqO7hmC01gw

As far as the Women are concerned we obviously have that well developed in terms of ID'ing and developing top talent...

My kids have all played soccer including one soon at the D1 level - maybe pro in the future??

----------------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
I'm watching Chile Germany in the Confederations cup final right now.

Chile was pounding on Germany early but Germany just scored on a give away at the 18 yard line.

1-0 Germany 20 minutes in.

Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Picture of JasonEuc
posted Hide Post
I liked the new kit. Now, stop messing with it and help give us a clear identity.

Posts: 1307 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm watching Chile Germany in the Confederations cup final right now.

Chile was pounding on Germany early but Germany just scored on a give away at the 18 yard line.

1-0 Germany 20 minutes in.

Final was 1-0.

This was a team of German youngsters that Jogi Loew brought to Russia for seasoning and they won the whole thing. Most of the starters from the 2014 World Cup champions sat it out but many will undoubtedly be back next year for the World Cup. The depth just shown by the Germans makes them a potential juggernaut for years to come.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3450 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post