SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Fitness Tracker Recommendation?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fitness Tracker Recommendation? Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted
My wife's birthday is coming up.

The fitness tracker that she has been using -- a Jawbone UP -- is dying or dead.

What do you folks recommend? She is looking for something that will track sleep pattern, activity, and heart rate.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Facts are stubborn things
Picture of armedprof
posted Hide Post
Fitbit. Most of them offer what you are looking for in a tracker. The app on the phone it top notch. We have the scale and Fitbits for our whole family. We really like the challenges that are included in the app.

Do, Or do not. There is no try.

Posts: 1786 | Location: Just South of Charlotte, NC | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just an ACARS message
with feelings
Picture of qxsoup
posted Hide Post
+1 for Fitbit. I wear a charge 2 every day.

220/229/228/226/P6/225/XO/SP2022/239

Posts: 3062 | Location: The Queen City (the one in Ohio) | Registered: May 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Garmin Vivofit - it takes 2 watch batteries so you don’t need to charge it every day - lasts a full year.

Useful for tracking sleep patterns as well.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been using a Polar A370 for almost a year now. I run on a treadmill mostly. I wear it all the time. Stopped wearing my other watches so I can track exercise and sleep. I used their app on my phone to log my training and keep track of sleep.

It has been very useful, fairly accurate except the mileage is off compared to the treadmill. It would add two tenths to every mile. So my accumulated mileage was worthless on the app.

Now for the not so good part.
Earlier this month I got locked out of the app until I agree to their new EULA. I wanted to use the app for tracking my fitness, not become part of this community crap. Not to mention the aspect of "my data" being stored and used outside of the country.

So its functionality of this fitness tracker is now limited to just a 24 hour period. Instead of upgrading to another Polar product, I'm looking around. The value of their product for me has become "not worth the squeeze".

Hope this helps.
-TVz

Posts: 432 | Location: North of DFW | Registered: May 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
I got my wife a Mio Slice.

It tracks activity, sleep, heart rate.

And the App that it uses gives a personal activity score (based on heart rate).

Mio products broadcast in Bluetooth and ANT+, are waterproof enough to do triathlons, and last a long time.

I use a Mio Fuse to track activity and heart rate.

These products are available on Amazon, and at mioglobal.com

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OldChimney
posted Hide Post
For me it came down to a choice between the FitBit Charge2 and Garmin Vivosmart 3. I was primarily interested in the HR monitor feature with step tracking as a secondary interest. I went with the Garmin because it was about $50 less than the FitBit. About three months in and I am happy with it.

The sleep monitoring function is amazing; I think the Garmin knows more about my night than I do. Be careful, as not all of the trackers include HR monitoring. Also, keep in mind that a wrist worn HR monitor is inherently less accurate than a chest strap.

The Garmin is advertised to last 5 days per charge which is probably pretty close. I charge mine twice a week and it is a simple process and only takes about 15-20 minutes. At the same time activities are downloaded to the tracking app on my desktop.

Posts: 2364 | Location: West | Registered: December 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I really like my Garmin fēnix 5. It's a very capable and robust fitness tracker with great battery life, but it wasn't cheap.

You might want to check out the smaller fēnix 5S for your wife.

The fēnix 5 watches are all discounted by $100 right now (LINK).

In depth review is HERE.

Posts: 2267 | Location: San Francisco, CA | Registered: February 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife and I have each been using a Fitbit Alta HR since the beginning of this year. It is relatively small and comfortable to wear, and checks all of the requirements you specified. I've also found the Fitbit app very complete and easy to use; it provides good sleep data (times for light, REM, and deep cycles).

Les

Posts: 6 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
I've been using a Fitbit Versa. The data collection is pretty good, but I like that it's waterproof/resistant.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9156 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post