SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Do you frittata?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you frittata? Login/Join 
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted
I've got the 12" cast iron in the oven right now. In it, there's a layer of hashbrowns on the bottom, a pound of pork sausage I browned layered on top of that, four jumbo eggs and a pint and a half of egg whites, a whole bundle of chopped cilantro, and a layer of shredded medium cheddar on top. I usually like to throw some onions in with the potatoes but forgot this time.

Anyone here do a frittata on occasion? What do you put in yours?

Posts: 17110 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like to add Chicago style giardiniera. It's chopped a bit finer.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
My wife makes minis in muffin pans for on the go. Cheese, spinach and some other stuff. They are the bomb.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
We usually omelette here, but do the occasional frittata. Just use whatever we have on hand - diced ham or sausage, tomatoes, mushrooms, onion...Will have to try the hashbrowns though, that sounds good!

The best one I've had was in Boston - a lobster frittata...Mmmmmmmm

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PeterGV
posted Hide Post
I never frittata, personally. My view is that frittata is just a really nice potential omelette that was ruined.

I don’t quiche, either.

Posts: 1318 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: April 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smithnsig:
My wife makes minis in muffin pans for on the go. Cheese, spinach and some other stuff. They are the bomb.

I never thought to try that. That's a potential game changer for sure.

quote:
Originally posted by PeterGV:
I never frittata, personally. My view is that frittata is just a really nice potential omelette that was ruined.

I don’t quiche, either.

Then you're not doing it right. Big Grin

I cant omelette with the best of them, but sometimes I want to throw something in the oven.

Posts: 17110 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
Yes. Sometimes for dinner with leftovers for the early morning call time. Anything left in the fridge is fair game to mix with the eggs.

Posts: 1978 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
That is my breakfast Mon thru Fri.

Sunday night, I mix up the ingredients (I alternate between salsa and bruschetta for veggies) and pour them into jumbo muffin tin. Once they cool, I put in a ziplock with a slice of biscuit ham (my local HEB sells perfectly thick slices of ham the same diameter as an English muffin), 2 go in the fridge, and 3 go in the freezer.

Every week day morning, I plop the contents on a paper towel lined plate, nuke it, and toast an English muffin. Once I've eaten the two refrigerated ones, I pull put one in the fridge each morning and let it thaw 24 hours.

Easy, healthy, and I'm eating more "real food" than my former 75 mph protein bar days.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23209 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes. We put all the usual omelette ingredients, what ever is on hand.
Frittata to me is just a thick family size omelette that is not folded, and finished in the oven. Much easier than making them individually.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Moved to N.W. MT. | Registered: April 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Smithnsig, Tatortodd, you've just given me a new lease on breakfast during the weekday.

Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
I like potatoes, cheese, eggs, and spinach. Makes it seem healthier Smile

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4929 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Wife makes it all the time; breakfast, lunch, or dinner.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14034 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
Spinach frittata has become a Christmas morning breakfast tradition. There is more to it but I'm not the cook, it's danged good though.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5147 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Different!
Picture of mrbill345
posted Hide Post
Yes I frittata & the filling depends on what I have around.

“Agnostic, gun owning, conservative, college educated hillbilly”

Posts: 4139 | Location: Middle Finger of WV | Registered: March 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
Gotta have the onions and potato.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
Sometimes I frittata, sometimes I omlette, and sometimes I just "PileOEggs".....

but I really DO like the sound of that 'hash browns on the bottom' business.....

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9853 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cne32507:
Gotta have the onions and potato.

Couldn't agree more. It turned out alright, but both my wife and I were missing the onions on this one. Should've left it on the stove before I headed out to the store. The grocery list I had to remember overwrote my "what do I already have on hand" list.

Next time. Smile

Oh, and I keep seeing spinach mentioned a lot. That's a fan favorite here, too. Last time, I did a big clump of fresh spinach with the cilantro, turkey sausage, and some white cheddar on top. I think we all liked last time better. The pork mix was a bit greasier than the turkey, and on my wife's advice, I added the grease to the potatoes. Nope. Not next time.

quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
Will have to try the hashbrowns though, that sounds good!

quote:
Originally posted by signewt:
but I really DO like the sound of that 'hash browns on the bottom' business.....

I highly recommend trying it at least once. To cover the bottom of my 12 7/16" skillet with a thin layer smooshed down carefully and evenly, it takes damn near a whole 30oz bog of Ore-Ida frozen hashbrowns. It seems like a lot, but it cooks down quite a bit. I get them about mostly cooked and maybe 40-60% browned, then spread a thin layer over the bottom of the pan, as above. Right about then, I kill the burner and add the other toppings as quickly as I can, then immediately in the oven at 425 for about 15 minutes to start and then I just check it every few minutes until it looks done, depending on what all vegetables I added and how much water needs to cook out of it.

As for the frozen hashbrowns, some might smirk, but I had a thread about it here a while back and the pros recommended I try it. They were right. Smile

posted Hide Post
Great breakfast when we have ton of ham during the holidays. Adding caramelized onions is a nice touch. Changing up the cheeses works too. Had one with Gruyere, Comte and Parmesan...oh boy. Eek

Posts: 14634 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:
That is my breakfast Mon thru Fri.

Sunday night, I mix up the ingredients (I alternate between salsa and bruschetta for veggies) and pour them into jumbo muffin tin. Once they cool, I put in a ziplock with a slice of biscuit ham (my local HEB sells perfectly thick slices of ham the same diameter as an English muffin), 2 go in the fridge, and 3 go in the freezer.

Every week day morning, I plop the contents on a paper towel lined plate, nuke it, and toast an English muffin. Once I've eaten the two refrigerated ones, I pull put one in the fridge each morning and let it thaw 24 hours.

Easy, healthy, and I'm eating more "real food" than my former 75 mph protein bar days.

I need to do this instead of the frozen breakfast sandwiches I buy and heat up.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
I have the cookbook 'Omelettes, Souffles, & Frittatas' by Lou Seibert Pappas. Its good. Despite owning the book I estimate, in descending order, my cooking with eggs is: quiche, omelette, souffle, frittatas.

Out of the cookcook I like the Red Onion, Red Pepper frittata; and the Mushroom Medley.

Lobster frittata? Oh heck yeah!! Gonna look for a lobster/crab recipe on the 'net now. This thread is making me hungry!

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5962 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post