SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Roofing shingle question (Brands/Type)?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Roofing shingle question (Brands/Type)? Login/Join 
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted
Hi all. Well, I'm nearly 50 and I made it this far without ever having to learn anything about this, but, I need a roof now (I guess).

My quote in hand offers a synthetic underlayment (replacing the traditional felt/tar paper), and my choice of Owens Corning Duration TruDefinition or GAF Timberline HD shingles.

Apparently both are 50yr+ (Limited Lifetime) architectural shingles.

Any thoughts or advice, .. one to the other? THANKS!

Posts: 11377 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
I used to roof, and just had two roofs installed on rentals by my old buddies in the biz. I asked him if OC’s quality had improved, and he said not really. I had both roofs done with GAF.

GAF bought out Elk a few years ago. Elk was a hell-of-a shingle. GAF adopted the Elk shingle design into all of their plants, such as sealant under tab instead of on nail line. GAF is a superior shingle to any OC product. You open a bundle of OC, and so much of the granule falls out that it makes the roof slick.

Synthetic felt is vastly superior to organic felt. I don’t know why they even make organic felt anymore.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8214 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
r0gue,

Depending on your location, ask about ice guard as part of the underlayment.

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 717 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
We had Owens Corning TruDefinition shingles installed, with a Tyvek-like "felt." The roof has a 50 year replacement cost warranty, backed by OC. It's one-time transferable. There's snow and ice shield 3 ft. back from the wall lines and in all the valleys.

Re: OC vs. GAF: I did a lot of reading before signing for that job. Conclusion I reached was it was a Ford vs. Chevy debate.

What is important is that you have a competent, credible contractor doing the install. One that's been around for a while and will stay around for a while.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
What is important is that you have a competent, credible contractor doing the install. One that's been around for a while and will stay around for a while.

This, in spades! If you get a substandard install, your warranty is meaningless. Things like using the right length nails (1.25 layer one, 1.5 on layer two), using the correct number of nails, and most importantly, getting the nails on the nail line. If you have a bunch of nails above the nail line, your warranty will be refused.

Some warranties also require you to use their whole system; felt, ice/water shield, shingle, and vents.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8214 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have had great luck on two different homes with GAF Timberlines. I agree with others that "It's all about the installer" We have used the same company and they've always stood behind their work.

Posts: 170 | Location: Kearney, MO | Registered: October 18, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Itchy was taken
Picture of scratchy
posted Hide Post
I have a TPO membrane roof. I echo the sentiment that it's all about the installer. Go with the most reputable you can find.

Posts: 4012 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SPWAMike0317:
r0gue,

Depending on your location, ask about ice guard as part of the underlayment.

Well actually, Like you, I live North of Pittsburgh PA as a matter of fact! Smile So ice guard is a good idea, thanks!

--------------------
I SHOULD ADD FOR THE THREAD/QUESTION ---

I have a VERY LOW PITCH roof, and my house is buried in tree canopy. It's a mid-century design. Actually, I suspect the crew for whichever firm I hire will fight over my job. You can pretty much walk on and off at one point with a few ladders laid down and a sheet or two of plywood laid over them.

Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Wonderful inside info -- thanks! And of course I agree with all and will do my best to hire a good company.

-----------
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
I used to roof, and just had two roofs installed on rentals by my old buddies in the biz. I asked him if OC’s quality had improved, and he said not really. I had both roofs done with GAF.

GAF bought out Elk a few years ago. Elk was a hell-of-a shingle. GAF adopted the Elk shingle design into all of their plants, such as sealant under tab instead of on nail line. GAF is a superior shingle to any OC product. You open a bundle of OC, and so much of the granule falls out that it makes the roof slick.

Synthetic felt is vastly superior to organic felt. I don’t know why they even make organic felt anymore.

posted Hide Post
We went with Malarky brand...can’t remember exact model...but it featured a lot of the things previously mentioned and is able to withstand golf ball sized hail. That does more damage around here than the other weather elements, so not sure if that would have an impact, no pun intended, on your choice.

Posts: 715 | Location: NE Iowa | Registered: October 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Timberline seems to be the go to around here locally. I have NO idea why.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
One thing I have to ask, how many layers of shingles are on your house? If it is two you must take them off and the ice damn is a good idea. If you have only one roof, it might pay to just roof over the existing roof. That also depends on how bad your first roof is. If your first roof is shot and pieces of shingles are curled up and coming apart, it is worth it to rip off the first roof. I like the GAF hurricane. They are heavier and last longer. During Superstorm Sandy, the utility I worked for had 52 out buildings. I was in charge of replacing and repairing 16 of them.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4014 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
Timberline seems to be the go to around here locally.

Certainteed and Tamko are the two big ones around here.

Posts: 32490 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Redoing my roof last year I found that there are some color/types of shingles that reduce your heat load enough in summer to earn Energy Star ratings. If you have large electricity bills in summer, you might want to see if your chosen type of shingle comes in Energy Star flavors.

Posts: 15022 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
Yet nothing beats peel and stick underlay, though you do pay a price premium for it. I'm not a huge fan of the Tyvek type stuff. And the last re-roof we did was with GAF shingles, which have held up very well in the Florida heat and hurricanes.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
My first roof (1976) lasted 25 years. My second was done in roughly 11 years. Learned through people in the trades that the asphalt roof material of today is of much poorer quality. Went with steel this time. It will outlast me.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Certaineed shingles. Steel if you afford it.

Grace Watershield underneath along the edges and ridges.

And most importantly - a competent and qualified roofing company !

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
My roof is only 18 years old. The shingles are in great shape. But the low pitch and moss has caused lifting issues. Just seems wiser to lock em in with a new fresh seal.

posted Hide Post
Got a new GAF about 9 years ago. Timberline sounds familiar. Replaced a 22 year old roof that had served well, but was obviously getting old.

Common around here are black streaks in the shingles apparently caused by some mold. New roof has a 50 year warranty.

EXCEPT the anti-mold / anti-stain warranty part is only good for 10 years. Prorated.

We now have the same mold we had before. Compensation - about $600.

Not a fan of GAF.

Posts: 2130 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had my roof replaced 4-5 years ago with GAF Timberline. Great product, but make sure to get the full warranty out of GAF, you need to install their full roofing system. So do your due diligence with what the contractor is quoting for warranty.

It's all about clean living. Just do the right thing, and karma will help with the rest.

Posts: 1112 | Location: The Republic of Texas | Registered: April 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post