SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Harley wobble or one more thing to watch out for on the road
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Harley wobble or one more thing to watch out for on the road Login/Join 
posted
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/new...ng-control-bike.html

That is new to me. Granted my only experience with motor bikes was with a Triumph 650 Bonneville in the early 70s.

It seems that the death wobble, aka Harley wobble, is circumscript to certain models and years. But darn, I really don't want to ride in my car while a bike starts doing that crap alongside me. Call it empathy, for old times sake.

Knowing more by accident than on purpose.

Posts: 14186 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: December 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
I'd be interested in knowing what his tire pressures were.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3849 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
How does that even happen?

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29692 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The "Harley wobble" is common on some Dyna models when a HD touring windshield is installed.

Had it happen to me behind a large truck on the Interstate. Didn't crash but it got my attention.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What I've read so far is that it is caused by a defect, design or otherwise, with the frame. But as these things go, it might be due to several factors. Tire pressure included.

Here's a CHiP test ride, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gmw6QppXnEY

Posts: 14186 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: December 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
In the 70's, I had a Suzuki 550 that would do that but never to that degree. Scary as hell.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
But scooters are safer than cars. Loud pipes save lives.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Grooved pavement?

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Are your familiar with the Doppler effect? It proves that loud pipes merely irritate those behind you and damage your hearing.

Posts: 17141 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Well known phenomenon in some older HDs. As I understand it they have engineered it out though.

Posts: 20097 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
...in some older HDs. As I understand it they have engineered it out though.

Being Harleys then there must be only a handful, tops, on the road today.

Razz

Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Steering head bearing maintenance a.k.a. fallaway head adjustment is a very critical item. Tire maintenance and wear also.

Like flashguy brought up, grooved pavement in combination with certain tires can cause it also.

My '02 FLHTPI (police model) came equipped with Dunlop PT402PT's, at the time standard issued police tires. Those were more prone to wiggle with rain grooved pavement. I replaced them with Metzler ME880's.Great handling but I lost confidence in those after having a tread separation on the rear tire. And yes, I did follow the manufacturer's tire pressures. Replaced those with Pirelli Night Dragons, I was not impressed with the handling in corners but again no rain groove wiggle. This next time around I am going with Michelin Commander II's.

The 02's have a softer front suspension that is prone to nosediving during braking. I did upgrade my bike with Progressive Suspension front and rear together with a Touring Link. This ties the engine and transmission to the frame via a link with two Heim joints. This also stiffened up my bike.

Your results may vary but the changes I have made suit my riding style.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jehzsa:
quote:
...in some older HDs. As I understand it they have engineered it out though.

Being Harleys then there must be only a handful, tops, on the road today.

Razz

Hey, not all of us want bike payments....... Wink

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
That rider liked to tempt fate. From the article:

She said she 'couldn't figure out why it was shaking, but we noticed it would only do it once he hit high speeds'.
After about five or 10 miles, Hoff said her family watched him 'almost' lose control nearly six times.
'So I got my phone out, thinking "its only a matter of time before he crashes" and I wanted the video as evidence in case anyone else got hurt,' she said.

After the first time, I would have pulled over and parked it.

Posts: 3230 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
"Wobble" in a motorcycle is not limited to Harleys. The Kawasaki two-strokes and early four-strokes of the early 1970s had a reputation for getting into "tank-slappers."

quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
How does that even happen?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_wobble

Even the front, steerable wheel of a shopping cart can do it if you push it fast enough. Some four-wheeled vehicles are also prone to it, in this case commonly known as a "shimmy." These (in modern times) are primarily 4wd trucks and SUVs with straight (non-independent) front axles. This is the reason for most of them having a hydraulic steering damper. One in particular I remember was a Jeep Wrangler with a lift kit, after the lift was installed. Despite road-force tire balancing and careful inspection of all the steering components, we couldn't get the shimmy out of it until we installed adjustable suspension arms to rotate the front axle (turning the top of it to the rear) and give it three more degrees of caster.

Posts: 27935 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Trophy Husband
Picture of C L Wilkins
posted Hide Post
I hated going over the James River bridge in Virginia in the late 70s on my Suzuki GS1000. Rain grooves and the metal grate on the bridge.

CW

Posts: 3200 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
At the beginning of the video, the rider only has one hand on the bar. This was the start of his situation.

CL Wilkins, I was on the other side of the James River bridge, riding from Hopewell to Williamsburg.

Young and stupid, I only had one hand on the bar. I hit a pothole about 50mph, and my bars went fully lock to lock about 3 times. I have no idea how I did not crash, but I never rode again with just one hand.

The helmet saved his life. Had he worn a jacket and gloves, he would have saved himself a lot of pain and aggravation.

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
I'm bad to ride with one hand when I'm on the interstate, just to rest my hands. It's a bad habit.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've wobbled a couple of times (always on a sport bike). Every time it happened I had the back tire out of alignment after a chain adjustment. When I got off the throttle and speed was reduced it immediately went away. It does get your attention.

Posts: 7549 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post