SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Job interviews are ridiculous
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Job interviews are ridiculous Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Yup. Been on this mill for 13 months now. If you are over 50 (I'm on the other side of 55) and in tech, don't even bother looking for a tech job, unless you have a very very very current skill set that is wanted and few younger folks have.

Ageism in tech is very real. A few interviews I felt, they'd already found a candidate and were just seeing if something better 'might' be there.

In a couple of interviews, it was clear to me that they had no clue what they really wanted.

The only interview that was great, died when I did not have the required 5 years ERP system experience. 30 years of industry experience did not count, except for a nice interview.

If I get nothing by summer in tech, then I'll take the summer off, and look for the skilled 15-16 hr jobs.

Yes, first real job out of HS was pretty much, 'when can you start?' - job was open for 2 months while I was in Europe. It would lead to a pretty good 36 year IT career, until corporate America found more profit friendly employees in the place Columbus was originally trying to find.

Good luck to the OP.

-.-. --.- -.-. --.- -.-. --.- -.-. --.-
It only stands to reason that where there's sacrifice, there's someone collecting the sacrificial offerings. Where there's service, there is someone being served. The man who speaks to you of sacrifice is speaking of slaves and masters, and intends to be the master.

Ayn Rand

"He gains votes ever and anew by taking money from everybody and giving it to a few, while explaining that every penny was extracted from the few to be giving to the many."

Ogden Nash from his poem - The Politician

Posts: 1687 | Registered: July 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by icom706:
If I get nothing by summer in tech, then I'll take the summer off, and look for the skilled 15-16 hr jobs.

Reach out to some people on this forum, maybe start a new thread asking for recruiters to give you some leads. I know there are people here that can help you. Best of luck!

"We've done four already, but now we're steady..."

Posts: 1731 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
As far as I can tell the interview went well. Several people from my current employer have applied there and I was asked what’s going on there. I kept it mostly neutral. Just said, “There’s probably not time to get into all of it now. Suffice to say it’s not at all a positive work environment and extremely limited opportunity for advancement.” The things I could’ve said.... I’ve been told it usually takes 7-10 days to hear back so I’m in that holding pattern wondering if I flubbed the interview or personality test. *sigh*

Posts: 13742 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Just got the call! I go in tomorrow morning for a conditional (drug screen/background) offer. It should only be a formality. Never done drugs and I’ve had one speeding ticket since 1989.

Posts: 13742 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
Nice, good luck!

"We've done four already, but now we're steady..."

Posts: 1731 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
True story: friend of mine interviewed for a job recently. The HR person said "We have a policy here that requires you to pass on ALL of your social media passwords and presence. Are you willing to do that to secure this job?" He laughed and asked "Does your wife like anal sex?"

This really shook up the HR guy, and he looked confused, asking my friend "What? My wife's sexual wishes are none of your business."

My friend looked him square in the eyes and said "Conversely, my social media postings are none of your business."
He wasn't hired. But he knew it, LOL.

Posts: 1892 | Location: KY | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of K0ZZZ
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGSense:
True story: friend of mine interviewed for a job recently. The HR person said "We have a policy here that requires you to pass on ALL of your social media passwords and presence. Are you willing to do that to secure this job?" He laughed and asked "Does your wife like anal sex?"

This really shook up the HR guy, and he looked confused, asking my friend "What? My wife's sexual wishes are none of your business."

My friend looked him square in the eyes and said "Conversely, my social media postings are none of your business."
He wasn't hired. But he knew it, LOL.

The best answer to this type of intrusive question is, "If I were to give you my passwords, I would be in violation of the license that I agreed to when I signed up for those services to never share credentials. If I were to give them to you, that would not be in any way ethical. I would hope that this is merely a test of my ethics, and not an indication that this company encourages unethical behavior."

... Chad

http://shotworkspro.com - Much better than scrap paper! Use 'Take5' to get 5 bucks off.

Posts: 770 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
What's the alternative to select someone - rely on the BS on 50%+ of the resumes that come across?

I have been both the interviewer and the interviewee. But yeah, you can't go just on a resume.

I usually used an interview when I was hiring to get a more specific idea of the candidate's experience and qualifications, but, even more importantly, to see if it was person who would fit in, be compatible, etc. In other words, was it someone who you would want to come to work with day in and day out.

I tried to avoid bullshit.

Hiring is hard. We had some successes, and some dismal failures.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rock Paper
Scissors
Lizard Spock
Picture of James in Denver
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Last time I hired a guy, I relied on observing him work, and chatting with him for a bit.

He wound up stealing me blind, then took off to Denver to work in a grow house.

Thread drift warning....

PLEASE TAKE HIM BACK... that's all we are getting now... "Dude, I want to smoke weed, got a job for me?"

Housing prices are soaring, which is good for me being a home owner, but I'd gladly go back to close to my original value if we could get rid of all the "whoa dudes" coming in.

Crime is up, murder is up, shooting is up...

All for dope...

AAANNNDDD of course, colorado is solid blue now... grrrr....

/soapbox off

----------------------------
"Voldemorte himself created his worst enemy, just as tyrants everywhere do! Have you any idea how much tyrants fear the people they oppress? All of them realize that, one day, amongst their many victims, there is sure to be one who rises against them and strikes back!"
Book 6 - Ch 23

Posts: 4484 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post