SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Job interviews are ridiculous
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Job interviews are ridiculous Login/Join 
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
What's the alternative to select someone - rely on the BS on 50%+ of the resumes that come across?

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12417 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Last time I hired a guy, I relied on observing him work, and chatting with him for a bit.

He wound up stealing me blind, then took off to Denver to work in a grow house.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30664 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was on one Monday afternoon.
I was exhausted from working all weekend, and I don't think I was as sharp as I usually am.

I am glad the interview was only 20mins away.
Stupid HR type questions.
Nothing at all pertaining to what a person knows or does not know about Probation and Parole.

They call a person in because of the experience they have then they ask nothing at all about the job, experience etc..

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I like being on the other side of the table during interviews. I try to keep the questions very practical. If I'm required to give some of the usual HR lip service questions, I use the opportunity to carefully gauge the candidate's full response- tone, eye contact, body language, etc.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17277 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In my 44 years as a process engineer (~40 as a supervisor, superintendent or manager) I interviewed many applicants either new graduates or previous experience applicants. My main focus was on the applicants' attitude and answers. It made no difference to me if he was smooth or shy or nervous. Paid little attention to his scholastic grades. Did not care if he had a BS, masters or doctorate degree. Attitude and dedication was more important. My analogy to my engineers who also interviewed the applicants was "Are you willing to have him on the other end of the rope that you are on?"

Had many who reported to me (hired by others) that over time wound up in my organization that had masters and doctorates ( or a BS degree) that were worthless in a pinch.

PS. I only had a BSChE.

Posts: 655 | Location: South Texas | Registered: February 27, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I’ve been on both ends of the interview process working for the U.S. Forest Service. I’m still uncomfortable talking about it—even after being retired for 3 years now. During the Obama Administration, as a white male, I was made to feel unwanted and an obstacle to achieving “hope and change.”

There were always questions relating to diversity, even for positions that would have no impact on hiring additional workforce. In a management position, I was forced to vet and interview candidates that I didn’t feel were most qualified for the position.

Posts: 13258 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Re: “No one can speak honestly to the questions you get asked. You have to give the answers they want to hear, not an honest answer.”

Depends on the field that you’re in, I think. I was in digital design my entire career. For all of my job interviews, with one exception, the interviewers diligently tried to discover if I had the skills needed. Of course they were also looking for attitude and personality quirks.

The one exception: The interviewers chatted me up, took me out to a relaxing lunch, then offered me the job. The reason was that two guys, known and trusted by the CEO, had recommended me.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8951 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Be happy. They at least asked you questions. Last interview I went on was a little more brusque. 7th highest recorded score on their assessment tests, 10 years of work experience (at the time) and 2 degrees. Personnel director asked me if I was going to continue my education and told me he didn't want to waste his time. Interview over.

Shuttered the company about 4 years later.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2739 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
I’ve been on both ends of the interview process working for the U.S. Forest Service. I’m still uncomfortable talking about it—even after being retired for 3 years now. During the Obama Administration, as a white male, I was made to feel unwanted and an obstacle to achieving “hope and change.”

There were always questions relating to diversity, even for positions that would have no impact on hiring additional workforce. In a management position, I was forced to vet and interview candidates that I didn’t feel were most qualified for the position.

I'm in between jobs and so filling out a lot of online applications. Every single one of them asks race, ethnicity, disability and veteran status. Only the gov't. makes this possible. It's almost like the gov't. is giving businesses a free pass to get the info the gov't. wants, which the businesses would otherwise not be allowed to ask for their own purposes. Obviously, they can all make decisions based on that info, legal or not, because the gov't. makes it all possible. I always decline to ID my race or ethnicity.

Posts: 3535 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Lee:
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:

I'm in between jobs and so filling out a lot of online applications. Every single one of them asks race, ethnicity, disability and veteran status. Only the gov't. makes this possible. It's almost like the gov't. is giving businesses a free pass to get the info the gov't. wants, which the businesses would otherwise not be allowed to ask for their own purposes. Obviously, they can all make decisions based on that info, legal or not, because the gov't. makes it all possible. I always decline to ID my race or ethnicity.

IMO, the federal government violated the Civil Rights Act of 1964, everyday, throughout my career. Of course, it’s valid to say Affirmative Action is itself, a violation of the Civil Rights Act.

Sorry, this post is a sidetrack of Leemur’s OP. The job interview thing brought back memories of the worse part of my career (I should probably say how I got my professional-series position in the first place).

Posts: 13258 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shaql:
I wish I could get an interview...

In what field?

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
Most of these job interview processes are thought up by people that have no real experience with the job they are hiring for. They also have no real work experience to begin with and come up with a bunch of questions to make themselves feel important.

It's kind of like everytime a new middle manager gets hired, they have to instantly change every procedure that has worked perfectly for that company for the last 10 years, into an overly complicated mess.

You are dead on balls accurate here.

Posts: 13742 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Mitch Hedberg: "At an interview I was asked "Where do you see yourself in 5 years" I said "Celebrating the 5th year anniversary of you asking this question"

Posts: 5906 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: September 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bayouman
posted Hide Post
My most ridiculous interview took place when another company acquired mine with the understanding all existing personnel would keep their jobs.

Day 2 my new boss came in and asked me to meet with her to interview for my job. We met and she proceeded to tell me I had to convince her of my ability (after 15 years) if I wanted my job. I told her no and got up to leave. She asked where I was going and I replied, I am on my way to Human Resources to apply for your position because I just realized you have no clue as to my skill level. She asked that I sit back down, at which time if I would help her by sharing my knowledge and I did. Retired from that job 5 years ago.

Bayouman
Never let the enemy pick the battle site.

Posts: 727 | Location: New Orleans, Louisiana  | Registered: June 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zipriderson:
Mitch Hedberg: "At an interview I was asked "Where do you see yourself in 5 years" I said "Celebrating the 5th year anniversary of you asking this question"
My answer was always "doing much the same thing, but doing it better". It didn't seem to satisfy them, but I worked there for 26 years. (I was a COBOL computer programmer, good at my job, and really enjoying it. I didn't see any need to do anything else, as long as the company needed it done. It is still necessary and I've been retired for 13 years.)

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I interview people it is to see what kind of fit they are for the team I am hiring them for. They've already passed the tech interview when they get to me. A face to face interview is very important for our hiring practices. The smartest guy in the world that has a poison personality is worse than not filling the position.

Posts: 7549 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
18 or 19 years old, my dads friend, a Sgt at the state prison, said, "Your dumb ass needs a job. Want to be a corrections officer?"

Sure, I said.

He dragged me down to the prison by the ear to interview with the warden.

Introduced me to the warden, who told me to, "Sit down son."

First (and only) question, from the Warden. "Are you willing to take out your pistol and shoot one of these convicts that are attempting to escape?"

Me- (Deer in the head lights look) "Um, yes sir, if that's legal, and part of my job description, then yes, I would shoot an inmate that was attempting to escape."

Warden- Smiles, extends his hand across the table, and says, "Welcome aboard son. You start tomorrow. Go down to supply and get issued your uniforms and gear."

Yes, it was easier to get hired on at a State Prison as a "highly professional and highly trained" corrections officer, than to get hired on at the local McDonald's.

First day on the job? Sgt says, go down and supervise the recreation yard. Ok.

Walk on down to the recreation yard, to find that there are 500-600 inmates, full on convicts, and about 3 Corrections officers on the yard supervising them. Gulp. Feet to the fire.

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4618 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
My best interview was for the job I just lost. Boss asked me two questions - how much do you need and when can you start? I had had gotten to know him pretty well at a trade show, where we were booth neighbors for three long days. But it was a few months thereafter that I even approached him about a job.

Posts: 3535 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
OP is full of truth.

The best interview-turned-hiring I ever had the boss just told me to be on time, don't steal from him and don't lie to him.

I put in several years there and ended up hiring another person using the exact same wording. They did just fine as well. Go figure.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post