SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Job interviews are ridiculous
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Job interviews are ridiculous Login/Join 
Picture of Leemur
posted
No one can speak honestly to the questions you get asked. You have to give the answers they want to hear, not an honest answer. Went on my first interview in 13 years today. Forgot how much I hate doing this song and dance.

Posts: 13740 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
this song and dance.
Just remember that is all it is.

Sing and dance to get the job. Wink

ETA - just as ridiculous are resumes and the minimal amount of attention they get.

I think my initial scan takes about a second, sometimes less, rarely more before you get the thumbs down.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
"Always exaggerate your estimates." -Ferengi Rules of Acquisition, Rule #5

And...

"There's nothing more dangerous than an honest businessman." -Ferengi Rules of Acquisition, Rule #27

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I've decided to keep the job I have (which took me over two months to find), because I'm too old to go begging for jobs and having to go through the dog and pony show.

Posts: 27925 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
No one can speak honestly to the questions you get asked. You have to give the answers they want to hear, not an honest answer. Went on my first interview in 13 years today. Forgot how much I hate doing this song and dance.

Don't disagree with feeling that you have to give teh answers they want to hear. Just fight the urge to get too comfortable with the interviewer in these situations.

Posts: 178 | Registered: January 27, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post

Posts: 27925 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A good share of my interviews have included one-on-one interviews, followed by panel interviews, panel interviews, written tests, and simulator rides, or flights in the actual aircraft, followed by drug tests, thick stacks of paperwork, background checks, credit checks, driver history checks, transcript reviews, etc. The current one started with a resume and application, followed by a phone interview, then a face to face online interview, then flown to the company for personal interviews and tests, etc.

My current job, from time time of the interview to fully online, was 11 months, with multiple checks and reviews along the way, each a jeopardy review which was either pass or go home.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uo0KjdDJr1c

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
Recall a job interview that I thought was a lock. A chief nurse I’d worked with introducedme to a lady that ran a county service. We hit it off, she like my resume and the nurse’s recommendation. The last step was a panel interview.
The interview was pretty basic. I felt good. However, the next day the boss called and said I’d been turned down!
Why? “You scared them. You answered the question, then looked at the, as if you expected more. They felt challenged.”
Finally, it came out that the real reason was they saw me as their new boss. That is hold them to high standards. Which was what the lady had planned.
Which she warned me.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I once worked for a contractor as a truck driver and wasn't happy with them. Saw a different company was looking for a driver so I pulled in with the dump truck, the owner laughed when I asked about the position. He said you have the job as you were the only one who showed up in a truck, said here fill this out...Easiest interview I have ever had.

Posts: 1913 | Location: U.P. of michigan | Registered: March 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our 5-year-old grandson was turned down for admission to pre-school. The reasons given in the rejection letter were"he knows too much, and didn't interview well." Didn't interview well? WTF? A five year-old? I can picture him sitting there in the interview with his little business suit, with power tie on. "Where do you see yourself in five years?" "Third grade?"

Two things bring me to tears. The unconditional Love of God,the service of the United States Military,past,present,and future.

I would rather meet
a slick-sleeve private,
than a hollywood star!

Posts: 2339 | Registered: February 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Seeing this dumb shit is why I'm trying to get into the HR field now. I just want to eliminate all the time wasted and stupidity.

I finish my MBA in June and I'll have around 17 months of BI Bill left. Already looking into Masters in Human Resources program at a local private school.

Posts: 13091 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I once took a job as Program Director for an FM Radio station in Pennsylvania. Station was owned by two sisters who knew very little about radio.
I had about 15 years experience.

I lasted three months.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have blown off several job offers when I reached the point they wanted me to take a form of the MMPI test.
You know - Ask the same question over and over with different phrasing in the hope you can weed out the psychos?
And every one of these jobs was for minimum wage and part time.
Pass. Ridiculous.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16066 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Most of these job interview processes are thought up by people that have no real experience with the job they are hiring for. They also have no real work experience to begin with and come up with a bunch of questions to make themselves feel important.

It's kind of like everytime a new middle manager gets hired, they have to instantly change every procedure that has worked perfectly for that company for the last 10 years, into an overly complicated mess.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ltbarber:
Our 5-year-old grandson was turned down for admission to pre-school. The reasons given in the rejection letter were"he knows too much, and didn't interview well." Didn't interview well? WTF? A five year-old? I can picture him sitting there in the interview with his little business suit, with power tie on. "Where do you see yourself in five years?" "Third grade?"

That's just ridiculous.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19645 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
Seeing this dumb shit is why I'm trying to get into the HR field now. I just want to eliminate all the time wasted and stupidity.

I finish my MBA in June and I'll have around 17 months of BI Bill left. Already looking into Masters in Human Resources program at a local private school.

If HR is your target, spend the time and bucks to get SPHR certification. Masters in Organizational Management also gets you into HR.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19645 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
This is why I'm pretty close to going 1099 and in business for myself. I just don't do the W2 thing very well and I'm getting too old to play well with others.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of chefmossy
posted Hide Post
OMG 34 years culinary experience. All I hear is you have too much experience. We don't know where we would put you. The 1099 idea is where I am headed

Posts: 846 | Location: St Ann Mo | Registered: February 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
I wish I could get an interview...

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6850 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
I agree. It’s a stupid game to play. Interviews really are the dumbest thing ever.

However, There’s nothing better than a hiring manager that realizes how stupid the interview process is. That’s the type of manager I love working for.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post