SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    A prayer request - Daughter diagnosed with thyroid cancer...UPDATE, PG4...
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A prayer request - Daughter diagnosed with thyroid cancer...UPDATE, PG4... Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Prayers and thinking of your family.

Posts: 840 | Location: FL | Registered: January 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
Thanks so much, everyone!

@Hound Dog - Thanks for relating your experience. The early detection has given us a very positive outlook. I'm a little concerned that they only took parts of the thyroid, but I assume they know what they were doing.

As it was explained to me, there are two philosophies regarding removing some, part, or none of the Thyroid gland. One is just to remove it all and be done with it. The other is to remove only that which has the cancer, and hope the remaining thyroid tissue will supply the body with enough thyroid hormones to provide for the body's needs.

The first doctor I saw recommended the first course of action. However, he came across VERY badly to my wife and I. Our first visit to discuss "The C Word," and the doctor came in and said "What are you here for again?" Not very comforting. He then read my case notes in front of us, and said, "We'll just remove the entire thing."

The second visit was just as bad. After a series of tests, with STILL a lot of concern over my health from my wife and I, he walked in and said "What are you here for again?" I looked over at my wife and said, audibly, "I'm gonna die." He then asked if I had tests done. We said, "Yeah, you ordered them," and then he looked at the notes and said, "Oh, there they are."

Both visits, he had no idea who I was or the details of my case, and my wife and I both decided to go to another doctor.

We went to MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston. They were all outstanding (it is, after all, one of the best cancer centers in the entire world). They took out the half that had the cancer on it. The theory was that the remaining half might be able to produce enough thyroid hormone on its own, so that I wouldn't have to take thyroid replacement pills. It was a 50/50 proposition, and I figured it was worth a shot.

After a year or more, they kept raising my dosage - my endocrinologist here in Colorado said we must suppress the thyroid (MD Anderson was out of the loop by now). I asked why are we suppressing it, since the entire reason for only removing half was to give it a chance to see if I could get by without taking a pill every day for the rest of my life. She told me that the post-surgery pathology of the tumor showed it to be a "very aggressive" strain, and they had to suppress the thyroid, otherwise the functioning of the thyroid might cause the cancer to come back. Now, this was over a YEAR after my surgery, and nobody had bothered to let me in on this little useful tidbit of information. . . (I finally found a new endocrinologist, as she just gave us both a bad vibe).

So, finally, I had the remaining half removed in 2019. Turns out the first doctor was right, but only by accident (I never regret going to MD Anderson). Our reasoning was that I had to take a pill every day anyway, and at this point, the only thing my thyroid could ever do for me was give me cancer again. So I figured to take it out while I was (relatively) young.

According to Google, "The thyroid gland is a vital hormone gland: It plays a major role in the metabolism, growth and development of the human body. It helps to regulate many body functions by constantly releasing a steady amount of thyroid hormones into the bloodstream."

I don't know how old your daughter is, but for children, I imagine the thyroid is a LOT more important to regulate growth and development. By the time I had my surgery, I was in my late 40s, so this wasn't as big of a concern as it probably would be for a child. My metabolism fluctuates, as the dosage will change over time. I need a blood test every 3-4 months to monitor it. Too much and I'll get chronic upset stomach and other gastro issues.

Over all, it's really not that bad. I have to wait a half hour between taking my pill and drinking my morning coffee. I do not consider myself a 'cancer survivor,' though I technically am. I didn't suffer, I never had chemo or radiation therapy, I never lost my hair. My life was not in peril (since we took prompt action after finding it). I had a simple surgery and now I just have to see a doctor more than usual. I really have no complaints.

Of course, now it is easy to say that. Before my surgery, I did do some soul searching, and I did realize that this stuff could have killed me. I did not dwell on it, and I believe it is healthy to consider our mortality *on occasion* (not every day, or to let fear control me). No cancer should ever be discounted or ignored, but in my case at least, I came out of it better than I could have expected (even the second surgery was more of an inconvenience than something to fear).

As with any medical crisis, it will always be scary until it is remedied.

Oh, and there is also the life-long concern that I could get cancer again somewhere else. I have no idea why I got it the first time. I never worked around nukes, and I wasn't exposed to a radiological accident (like Chernobyl or Fukushima, for example). Nobody in my family has ever had it as far as I know (this type is usually hereditary or caused by exposure to radiological accidents). So, if I got cancer once, what's to stop it from happening again? I do not know.

Of course, not to provoke fear, but that can be said for everybody else, too. . .

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21821 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Daughter will be 56 in August, so perhaps the hormone thing will have less impact.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
I HATE cancer.
Prayers for a quick recovery...

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6309 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Done. May God Bless.

Posts: 11813 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Prayers inbound. May the Lord Almighty grant her a healing.

Posts: 507 | Registered: February 14, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
I'm so sorry. Prayers sent.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5906 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Very sorry to hear about your daughter.

Wishing hard for successful treatment and complete remission.

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Set out once to become the world's greatest procrastinator, but never got around to it
Picture of Fdan
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear that. My oldest son was diagnosed with thyroid cancer over 20 years ago, as a young man. He had his thyroid removed and has been on meds ever since to provide what he loses without a thyroid gland. He has had no issues ever since and leads a cancer-free life to this day. His oncologist at the time said that if you have to get cancer, thyroid is the one to get because it has the best outcomes. Best of luck to her for a speedy and complete recovery.

Posts: 1983 | Location: Southern California | Registered: January 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just An Old Guy
posted Hide Post
Prayers for her and the family.

What can one man do? You never know until you try.

Posts: 1975 | Location: VA | Registered: November 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sig sailor
posted Hide Post
Done.

"Do not approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction." John Deacon, Author

Posts: 1673 | Location: Between Rock & Hard Place (Pontiac & Detroit) | Registered: December 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not easy being me
posted Hide Post
Prayers sent for you, your family, and especially your daughter.

Posts: 2769 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: March 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Absolutely, I'm in. Prayers for your Daughter and everybody involved in her care and recovery.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jeriel
posted Hide Post
Prayers sent. All the best!

Posts: 1461 | Registered: January 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
Prayer sent

Posts: 3437 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Paul, your daughter and the rest of your whole family is in our thoughts and prayers.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4023 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
Very sad to hear this. Prayers just sent, Paul.

I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all. -Ecclesiastes 9:11

Posts: 7233 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I too hate C as I have been dealing with my form for quite some time now.

Prayers for your daughter and your family!

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Prayers sent

Jim

Posts: 1338 | Location: Northern Michigan | Registered: September 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
You have my prayers for your daughter too

Posts: 13014 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post