SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Best racecar sound of all time, change my mind:
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best racecar sound of all time, change my mind: Login/Join 
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
Does that thing have a flat plane crank?

As far as engines go nothing gets my blood pumping quite like the siren song of a high revving flat plane crank as it nears redline.

4-rotor Mazda Wankel.

Looking forward to watching the clips y'all posted. Smile

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reflex/deflex 64:
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaMike:
i like the sound of An Indy Car Coming down the Front Straight,on pole day at the Indianapolis Motor Speed Qualifying for the The 500
A Cosworth

Do you remember the Andy Granatelli turbine cars of the late 70s? They sounded like a huge vacuum cleaner!

Posts: 465 | Location: suwanee, ga | Registered: January 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Gotta agree with Kuisis’ nominations of the 917 and V-12 Ferraris. Just once before I die I’d like to drive a V-12 Ferrari (probably have to settle for a Ferrari of any kind). Too bad the Ferrari video didn’t seem to get up into the higher rev range where the engine starts to whine; I love that sound. Just based on those videos it’s the 917 in that iconic Gulf livery. Music

Posts: 13236 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
Matra v12 is right up there... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxWJO-SZKW8

Posts: 2306 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Agreed with the OP. Love the 787B.
2nd choice would be the mid-00s V10 F1 cars

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15281 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
The company I work for sponsors a top fuel dragster team, and occasionally they post some fun videos on the company intranet.

But for me, I still prefer the thump of a big block late 60’s to early 70’s American muscle car.

Something like this:

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Any 72° V-10 gets my vote.

Posts: 9142 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
It probably won’t change your mind, but nitromethane.

Yes, this. Unbelievable. If you haven’t seen it in person, it really is a must do.

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="408" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/bqSPA-2c5AA" width="725"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

NHRA in person is sublime, as far as sound goes,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
It (OP) is a good sound, whether it is the best auto engine sound is debatable.
They all sound pretty good to me! Cool

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
426 Hemi, 427 L88, or a 427 side oiler Ford. American big inch V8 at its' best.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2887 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Probably not many Rally fans here; in my opinion the Audi S1-E2 (Group B, 1983-1985) was probably the most exciting car ever to be fielded in automotive sport. Group B was eventually banned as the cars were so fast and spectator control was lax; as on observer said, "Its not that the cars were too fast, it was that the spectators were too slow"

The Audi had a very distinctive sounding five cylinder engine that made about 500 HP and would do 0-100 kph (0-62 mph) in 3 seconds on dirt.

They are long gone but I count myself fortunate to have seen these cars twice in competition; a memory and sound never to be forgotten.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDRkHXMHqFo

Posts: 990 | Location: Windermere, Florida | Registered: February 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More persistent
than capable
posted Hide Post
Always in awe of the 917 exhaust note.

This is entertaining, forgive the repost:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwaXjtRybhI

Lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you suck forever.

Posts: 1087 | Location: North | Registered: August 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Some of the touring cars from the late 80s - early 90s were good too.

The 190E 2.5-16 Evo II had a good sound

Have heard a few ITB 4AG 20v AE86 Corollas that sound good when driven in anger.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15281 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
This, without doubt, is my all time fav!
The idle alone is unreal.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/buWIbGEd-lc

Closest to this sound I ever personally owned was a '73 Dodge Challenger, 340 bored and stroked mill with full race cams and a Holly 850 double pumper drag race carb setup. Hell of an idle and exhaust note. Fuel mileage was in the low single digits. Then again it really wasn't setup for the streets. Wink

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16189 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7070 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
What say you tigereye313? ololololololololol

Love the comments on Youtube to the '64 Cobra Daytona Coupe video:

"As much as I love Ferrari this car sounds like a wet dream. Those others cars sound hopeless compared to it. It just roars into the straight like it came from the bowels of hell. That sound and power are what American cars are all about."

"That incredible sound of acceleration and outrageous noise of downshift makes even modern F1's shit their pants.
All hail the noise of good old carbureted pushrod V8!"

"I love the way it sounds, it genuinely sounds like a warbird flying low : big, mean, loud, throaty, and dominant. What a machine."

"That car sounds like T-rex coming down the track, man!!"

"This car is like the Angry God of race tracks and its very roar makes all other lesser cars tremble with fear."

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16189 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
The Ford GT40 mkII, 427 cubic inches of American big block badassedness. Not just the shear audio glory of it, but knowing their history of making european women weep at their sound and causing european men to go sterile as they were overtaken on the track.

Startup and idle
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2sUZN-70_E

Howling on the track
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8a4wgPOT3s

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11762 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
While nitromethane is always first in my book, in terms of road-going cars and engines, there’s something wonderful about a Nissan RB26DETT at full song in a early ‘90s GTR.
A pack of Porsche GT3 Cup cars coming down the front straight for the start at Sebring is also a glorious sound.

Posts: 3805 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted Hide Post
RaceCAR....maybe, race ENGINE....not even close!

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
- John Wayne in "The Shootist"

Posts: 3446 | Location: California | Registered: May 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kuisis:
The old Porsche 917's and Ferrari V12's are my personal favorite.

I have to agree with this also.

Posts: 6613 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post