SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    USS Oklahoma sailor identified and coming home
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

USS Oklahoma sailor identified and coming home Login/Join 
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted
Normally I don’t go looking for or at the obits in the C-J (too afraid that I’ll find my own!), but this one caught my eye based on the age of the deceased along with the accompanying photo. How fitting he is coming home on that day. Now that is a story that the local news media need to cover!!!
Link

Crowder, Samuel W. 35,

"The Navy Department deeply regrets to inform you that your son, Samuel Warwick Crowder, Fireman First Class, U.S. Navy is missing following action in the performance of his duty, and in the service of his country...."

World War II has been over for 76 years yet we are experiencing a singular wonder this year as we lay to rest the body of Samuel W. Crowder. He died aboard the USS Oklahoma, in the attack on Pearl Harbor, along with 429 other sailors and marines.

The loss was devastating for his parents, Charlotte Sullivan Cannon and William Maddock Crowder (Sudie) and his siblings, William, Allen, Darrell, and Elizabeth Crowder. His sister Dorothy preceded him in death. The announcement of his passing came to the family in the form of a Western Union telegram that they have kept in a book of memories that has passed down to his surviving nieces.

Initially, Samuel was buried as an "unknown" in a mass grave. Decades later his parents and siblings are all long gone, but he and his story were never forgotten. The remains of 388 sailors and marines were exhumed in 2015 for DNA analysis. Family members attended several of the informational meetings, held across the country, for those whose relatives lost in wartime were never returned. The Crowder family submitted their DNA in hopes of finding a match.

This precipitated a phone call from the Navy to the oldest surviving family member, indicating they had a match. The DNA match was found in Samuel's 8 bones. His remains will be returned to his hometown, Louisville. Samuel is survived by his nieces and nephews;

Sharon Crowder Johnson(John)- Lexington ,Ky, Carolyn Crowder Wright (David)Lexington, Ky, Dotty Hay Hartman(Del)-Snohomish, Wa, Robert Hay Sr(Barbara) Grapeview, Wa, Pat Crowder Kern-Roseburg (Bud), Or, Fred Russell Crowder(Barbara)-Tigard, Or, William Allen Crowder-Aberdeen, Wa, John Darrell Crowder-Seattle, Wa, Ronald Dean Crowder(Deborah)-Puyallup , Wa, Deborah Lynn Crowder-Everett, Wa, Darleen Jean Crowder.

Samuel's remains should arrive on Thursday, December 7th. Visitation will be held at Arch L. Heady at Resthaven Funeral Home, 4400 Bardstown Road, on Friday, December 8th from 5-8 pm and Saturday from 11am-1pm. His funeral service, with full military honors, will be held Saturday, December 9th at 1 pm. He will be buried in Resthaven Memorial Park, next to his mother.

Finally, closure for a family who has waited for 76 years for a word on their Uncle Sam ...
Published in The Courier-Journal on Dec. 3, 2017

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2699 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Rest in peace sailor. You're home now. And thank you.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
What a story,makes me sad in one way but some joy also that his final resting place will be home .

Posts: 22410 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pbramlett
posted Hide Post
I got something in my eye.

Rest In Peace

Regards,

P.

Posts: 1287 | Location: Alabama | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
Rest in peace sailor. You're home now. And thank you.

Couldn't have said it better!

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8356 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My allergies got the better of my eyes as I read this story. Rest well sailor your home.

Officers lives matter!

Posts: 3265 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: February 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Home, home, home from the sea
Angels of mercy, answer our plea
And carry us home, home, home from the sea
Carry us safely home from the sea.

On a cold winters night
With a storm at its height
The lifeboat answered the call.
They pitched and they tossed
Till we thought they were lost
As we watched from the harbor wall.
Though the night was pitch black,
There was no turning back,
For someone was waiting out there,
But each volunteer
Had to live with his fear
As they joined in a silent prayer.

Posts: 7019 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
Of the few things I approve my federal tax dollars being spent on this goes near the very top. I really don't care how long it takes or how much it costs.

Mark

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post