SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Iowa legislature allows citizens to sue local gov for public gun free zones, Iowa Supreme Court bans guns in all courthouses
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Iowa legislature allows citizens to sue local gov for public gun free zones, Iowa Supreme Court bans guns in all courthouses Login/Join 
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted
http://www.kcci.com/article/co...enforcement/10248055

IA Supreme Court Order

This makes no sense. I practice in a small rural Iowa community. I don't carry to court but I know some lawyers who do. I assume most, if not all judges carry. Our courthouse has always had the No Guns sign but no metal detector. Up until the Madison County incident cited in the article, not all courthouses even had an armed deputy present for court. After that incident, the Supreme Court mandated there be an armed deputy in the building whenever there was a judge present. Iowa legislature included in their Stand Your Ground law that citizens could sue local government who set gun free zones in local government. My local county was hand-wringing about the blood shed that would ensue with everyone carrying or being sued for banning guns. I assume others were as well, which resulted in this Supreme Court order banning guns in all courthouses. Looks like some counties would rather not get sued. It's Legislative and Executive branches vs. Judicial. This should be interesting.

Posts: 2504 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
It sounds to me like if one is injured in a courtroom shooting gun free zone, one could sue as well.

There is iron in my words of death for all to see.
So there is iron in my words of life.

Posts: 31419 | Registered: February 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
It is each county's responsibility to provide a space for court in the county. In another nearby county the courthouse was so bad (sewer water from the upstairs jail leaking through the ceiling of the men's restroom below) that the Supreme Court ordered the facilities where uninhabitable and moved court to surrounding counties until it is straightened out. So...if a shooting happens you sue the local county for having the gun free zone and you sue the Iowa Supreme Court for the order, the local county cross-sues the Iowa Supreme Court as well. I'm going to guess the Legislature has not granted an exemption for the Supreme Court to be sued in such circumstances and even if they did, who is the jury verdict going to go to on appeal?

Posts: 2504 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds like another case of legislating from the bench.

Posts: 12581 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post