SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    C.Crane cc Pocket radio
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

C.Crane cc Pocket radio Login/Join 
posted
Someone on the forum was talking about these. I think it was Para. I just wanted to know if anyone has one of these and and what their opinion is.
Thanks

Posts: 516 | Location: Ocala, FL | Registered: October 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
I had the (easily fits into a) small pocket radio from Crane for years. It performed well enough long enough (mostly "6" years as a nightly sleep aid). It finally developed a very crackly electric volume knob function, When I asked about repairs the local shop told me a price more to fix it than a new one.

I bought the next model CC Crane up, better reception etc. Almost fits into a shirt pocket. After about 2 years of same nightly use, the same crackly volume knob developed. Annoying but still usable.

Decent reception with both of them. I liked the smallish size. Unsure whether they are a better deal than others in the market.

I read up on then-current ratings, both of these were 'high' for their niche. I haven't actually used a radio to the point the knobs gave out before these.

Primarily use ear buds for either of these. Adequate when taken camping as well....although the Oregon coast has considerably different radio stations than the High Cascades do.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9849 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks signewt. I have ben wanting to get a new portable emergency radio and remembered the CCCrane. I am looking at these, also...
https://www.reviewgeek.com/240...telligent-pessimist/

Posts: 516 | Location: Ocala, FL | Registered: October 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
those crank styles are in a different class beyond the battery only models I mentioned.

I read thru a ton of various experts/user reviews/nerdRadioGuy reports and still settled on the Cranes.

Next time will be a different choice Mfg and hoping for a longer service life.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9849 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Please consider using the karmanator SigForum search to read past threads that are known to exist.

http://www.karmanator.com/sig_search.html

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/8300026504

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/4380071064

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
I got on the cc radio kick about 15 years ago and now have 5, I use them all with batteries but the table models have ac adapters. 2 table models, 2 sm table model or large pocket model and 1 mini size. All are used regularly and all still work fine.

Posts: 4682 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
What a kwinkydink. I just got a C Crane catalog in the mail.

I'll watch the responses to help me decide what model to purchase.

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
I like mine a lot and it gets used. Lots of comparisons and band scans (by tuber todderbert below) if you search his videos.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I haven’t been favorably impressed by the CCrane table radio I bought. The LCD display quit working after about 5 years, and the volume control knob was basically a static noise generator. I threw the overpriced piece of junk in the trash.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
volume control knob was basically a static noise generator.

Mine are the 'Pocket' shown above, and the "Skywave". Even given their very desirable features, the singular Worse Problem with both, is the same issue that developed over time: the static/noise arising from moving the volume knob. At first it started with a little static when adjusting volume. Move a little, get a little noise. Move a lot, get a lot.

Eventually mine got to the point where just touching the volume control without moving it would generate static noise. And gradually the static invaded other functions. If I have it just on one station & don't touch it, maybe I can hear the program.

I continue to seek solution for the issue.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
~SIGforum advisor~

Picture of Kuisis
posted Hide Post
Have you tried to use Deoxit on the knob?

Posts: 1129 | Location: Washington PA | Registered: November 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Any experience or comments of the Grundig brand?

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Recently, I replaced the radio I keep in the kit in my truck. I replaced my old Grundig Mini World 100 PE with a C. Crane CC Pocket. I paid twenty bucks many years ago for the Grundig radio and it's certainly worth that. Not a bad miniature radio, fairly good reception, but it's flimsy. For example, I wouldn't trust the belt clip that came with the radio, and the battery cover will slip off at the slightest touch. So, I removed the clip and I put a piece of tape on the battery cover and it served its purpose as an emergency radio for many years. I kept the radio in a Pelican 1010 mini case with ear buds and a spare set of batteries and. You could drive over the case without damaging the radio.

Recently, I upgraded my car kit and replaced the Mini World with a CC Pocket. I'll miss the shortwave bands of the Grundig but I'm glad to have the weather bands of the C. Crane. I paid 65 dollars for the CC Pocket and to me, it's worth every penny. It has a sturdy belt clip which is attached by two screws. For my purposes, though, I removed the belt clip. The radio has some DX'ing tools for AM reception- a narrow band filter which you can activate to better isolate distant stations from adjacent stations. You can activate 1khz steps for tuning, instead of the normal 10khz steps and this is an aid for fine-tuning of AM signals. This feature is usually not present on radios this small. You can also turn off the LCD display if you're really trying to remove all interference from weak signals, although in my experience, turning off the display seems to have no effect on distant signals.

The CC Pocket does not have a telescoping antenna for the FM/weather band and instead relies on a supplied wire antenna which plugs into the headphoe jack. Or, you can simply plug earbuds into the headphone jack and that will work as the antenna. Well, what if you don't want to use earbuds, but instead want to listen to FM or weather with the built-in speaker? The CC Pocket, unlike most other pocket radios, does not automatically switch to ear buds when you plug in a set. Instead, there is a switch on the radio for manually setting internal speaker or ear buds. Now, that's a nice feature, and a necessary one for this radio. Not having a telescoping metallic antenna keeps the size of the radio down.

At night, I can catch WLS with its transmitter site in Tinley Park, Illinois, from inside my house 570 miles away, and that's saying something, so the radio is nice and sensitive, at least in my opinion. Like just about everything these days, the CC Pocket is made in China, but the radio has a quality feel to it.

I purchased this case to store the radio and the radio fits nicely, but what they don't tell you is that if you include ear buds (which you should), it's a tight fit. It all fits, but it's tight, and no room for spare batteries.

I like this radio a lot. You can spend less and still get a nice AM/FM/Weather pocket radio, but I recommend the CC Pocket.

No lithium batteries, though. C. Crane states that the increased voltage from lithium cells may damage the radio, so, alkaline batteries only.

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Fusternc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kuisis:
Have you tried to use Deoxit on the knob?

This! Its like magic on crackly knobs and potentiometers.

Posts: 1373 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Deoxit on the knob?

I'll be shopping for some today.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
~SIGforum advisor~

posted Hide Post
Well, the CCPocket will work for my needs along with a can of Deoxit for JIC. Thanks for the feedback. I always learn something new here, like there is such a thing as a spray lube for noisy volume knobs ;>Wink

posted Hide Post
I have the CountyComm radio GP-5. It has SSB, and comes with a clip on long wire for the telescopic antenna and an AM antenna.
It receives comparably to my Yaesu Ham radio.
I don’t know how it compares to the C Crane radios though.

Posts: 3953 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimineer:
...CountyComm radio GP-5...
To me, this is not a pocket radio because it's 6" tall. It might be a great radio but its not in the same size class as the CC Pocket which is 4.25" tall.

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
Once again I have caved in to the recommendations I have read on this forum.
The CC Pocket is out for delivery from Amazon this afternoon.

From compasses, shovels, knives, guns, watches and much much more, this place has cost me money.

Edit to add, flashlights.
Smile

Posts: 4123 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
re: "From compasses, shovels, knives, guns, watches and much much more, this place has cost me money."

...and Sigs. Eek Eek Eek

don't forget the added Sig budgetary upgrades....

**************~~~~~~~~~~
~SIGforum advisor~