SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Wristwatch affectionado's a question please...update!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wristwatch affectionado's a question please...update! Login/Join 
Picture of Bob at the Beach
posted
I recently received my Dad's watch. It was gifted to me on Father's Day. He said he wanted to see me enjoy it as he had. It is a '96 Rolex Presidential. I am in need of links. Like many things I don't a lot about I have come here for trusted answers. I have gone to the authorized dealer locally to see about links and they have been less than helpful.
I want to keep it original and going to eBay worries me. I was hoping someone here could point me in the right direction to a trusted web site or dealer that could help me. Any ideas?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Bob at the Beach,

Posts: 1473 | Location: Boardwalk, Va Beach | Registered: March 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bob at the Beach:
I recently received my Dad's watch. It was gifted to me on Father's Day. He said he wanted to see me enjoy it as he had. It is a '96 Rolex Presidential. I am in need of links. Like many things I don't a lot about I have come here for trusted answers. I have gone to the authorized dealer locally to see about links and they have been less than helpful.
I want to keep it original and going to eBay worries me. I was hoping someone here could point me in the right direction to a trusted web site or dealer that could help me. Any ideas?

Have you checked out the Rolex Forum? Lots of great people and vendors over there.

https://www.rolexforums.com

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9692 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Send a email our very own and very generous davetruong.

I can't say enough good things about him. He will take care of you.

Keep Americans working, buy American made!

Posts: 709 | Location: western PA | Registered: April 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeGLI:
quote:
I recently received my Dad's watch. It was gifted to me on Father's Day. He said he wanted to see me enjoy it as he had. It is a '96 Rolex Presidential. I am in need of links. Like many things I don't a lot about I have come here for trusted answers.

Have you checked out the Rolex Forum? Lots of great people and vendors over there.

Thanks for the quick response! I have looked over there. They have some good info. Have you dealt with folks over there?

Posts: 1473 | Location: Boardwalk, Va Beach | Registered: March 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
I recently received my Dad's watch. It was gifted to me on Father's Day. He said he wanted to see me enjoy it as he had. It is a '96 Rolex Presidential. I am in need of links. Like many things I don't a lot about I have come here for trusted answers.

Thanks for the quick response! I have looked over there. They have some good info. Have you dealt with folks over there?

I purchased a piece from DavidSW who also happens to be local to me. Do some reading over there, search previous threads and you'll likely find the help you need. Unfortunately Ive never needed to replace any links so I can refer anyone specifically.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9692 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I purchased a piece from DavidSW who also happens to be local to me. Do some reading over there, search previous threads and you'll likely find the help you need. Unfortunately Ive never needed to replace any links so I can refer anyone specifically.

Thanks for your help!

Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
RolexForum and Timezone are good spots with lots of good people. Be sure you are dealing with a member and do your research on them. But these should be an easy enough score I'd think.

Posts: 11387 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
I'm still waiting for pics.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
Since the Rolex President bracelet is solid 18k gold (assuming you have the yellow gold version), links will be expensive. I agree with the recommendations above to contact David Truong, the forum's trusted jeweler! He will treat you right. Enjoy your Rolex!

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10491 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's funny, I wouldn't hesitate to buy or sell anything here. After being on Sigforum for a while I judge other forums by the standards set here. There are so many fakes with watches and the links it gives me pause. I'll check Timezone.
It seems my photobucket is blown up. Once I sort that out I'll post pictures up. It's a 18k yellow gold and it's solid. I was surprised how heavy. I've learned that Rolex has their own color. I want to keep it original out of respect for my father and my son who will get it when it's his turn.
I'll send David an email, maybe he'll look in here!

posted Hide Post
Wow nice gift. post pics when you can.

as noted, gold link pieces will not be cheap. Seems odd that the Authorized Rolex Dealer you are dealing with can't source and add links. Try another local dealer.

I have 2 stainless Rolex sports watches with oyster bands and they both needed a link added. My local dealer sold me the OEM part, installed it and steam cleaned my watch for me while i waited. The stainless link piece is almost $100. I can only imagine what a gold one will cost. You definitely do not want a fake or Non rolex link piece and you also want to wear and enjoy that king of the Rolex lineup.

The second watch i that i had a link installed was earlier this spring. My wife with me and she had never been into wanted a Rolex prior. The sales lady made her try on several sizes and now has her sold that a 36mm date-just is perfectly fine for a woman to wear these days and now thats what she wants... in pink mother of pearl or meteorite. good news is my wife only wears white metal jewelry so i can get away with a stainless.

Posts: 4765 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I would contact Michael Young in Hong Kong to see if he has them or could point you to someone that does.

http://www.classicwatchrepair.com/

I have sent him bands for his restoration service due to the high price in the US and the unwillingness for dealers to provide the service.
The first time took a leap in faith to send something like that to Hong Kong but he didn't disappoint. Sometimes it takes a day or two to get a response so don't be surprised by that.

Posts: 9513 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
You can probably figure out how short it is on you, 10mm, 15mm, etc.

I'd put it on leather for now. When you are near a major Jewelers Row type area, ask around. Genuine links will be pricy.

If you send it to David (or anyone) to source links, a plain brown-paper-wrapped box with paper security tape, the address printed on the wrapping, and USPS Registered Mail is how one sends their watch to Rolex for assessment.

You could mail it to Rolex in such a fashion, ask them the price to service the watch and replace missing links. They will probably give you a service cost but not link cost ... and FLOOR you with bracelet replacement cost. But return shipping is free, and you'll know where you stand from the manufacturer.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

I have. I was referred to Jonathan Marcus at Capetown Diamond by several folks on the Rolex Forum, picked up a NOS Yachtmaster at a remarkable price and got great service. I've never bought any parts from him, but he offers replacement parts on his website capetowncorp.com

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10354 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chessiedog1:

Dave had some Rolex watches when I last stopped by and visited his store. He is a most trustworthy individual who his well thought of here to help you with your search. Call him!

http://www.mimisjewelryinc.com/

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10909 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
There's no need to ship the watch out to add a link or two. Rolex links are held in place by fine screws. All you need is a set of jewelers/micro screwdrivers, which you can buy at Lowes or Sears, or from Amazon. It's a simple job you can do yourself.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10491 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by coloradohunter44:
quote:

Dave had some Rolex watches when I last stopped by and visited his store. He is a most trustworthy individual who his well thought of here to help you with your search. Call him!

Dave is The Man.

God bless America.

Posts: 13503 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by coloradohunter44:
quote:

That's good to know. They didn't show Rolex on their website.

Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
DavidSW on Rolexforums can likely source links for you. Brace yourself for the price, though. Precious metals links are going to be expensive.

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My Time is Yours
Picture of davetruong
posted Hide Post
Hi! If you can send me a picture or serial number I can order touvone at cost. My email is david@mimisjewelryinc.com

God, Family, Country.

Posts: 6010 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: October 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post