SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    A poll: Are you buying ammunition at the current prices?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A poll: Are you buying ammunition at the current prices? Login/Join 
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HayesGreener:
I am pretty close to closing the doors.

That sort of thing is always depressing to hear, especially on top of the effects on small businesses of all the pandemic restrictions.

Best to you and the ability to hang on.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47407 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am a Class K trainer in Florida. I train security guards, body guards, private investigators for their license. I provide ammo for my courses and typically use 21,000 rounds a year in my courses. My business is down 75% in the past year, I can't get ammo from my usual suppliers, and we didn't make expenses in 2020. When a client calls for re-qualification, I tell them they have to bring a box of ammo. The basic 3 day course requires 150-200 rounds and that makes the cost of the ammo prohibitive. The prices they are paying is outrageous. This thing has just about put me out of the firearms training business. I have an instructor development course coming up next month that requires 300 rifle and 300 pistol and I am scraping. I am pretty close to closing the doors.

This kind of anecdote sometimes makes me wonder if this was the goal all along, to institute gun control via making ammo nonexistent.

Wasn’t it Chris Rock that used to joke about all the Democrats needed to do was make each round of ammunition cost $10,000 each?

Posts: 33787 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4859
posted Hide Post
Only ammo I am buying is .22 Mag. One local shop had some CCI for about $15 a box. They ran out and where able to get more in. It is now about $20 a box. I was able to find Speer Gold Dot HP today on line for about $30 and could only order one box.

-----------------------------
Always carry. Never tell.

Posts: 5772 | Location: Montana  | Registered: May 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I chose "Nope, never" because I don't feel a need to obtain more ammo right now. In the past I have bought ammo I didn't need when a nice sale occurred, but this is not one of those times.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
I've been buying black powder, caps, and balls for my replica Hawken rifle. It's a blast to shoot and prices haven't gone up (although components are getting hard to find). Between this and the amount of. 22lr I have, I'm sitting tight.

With one exception, 10mm has been reasonably priced so I've bought some when I've found it.

Posts: 12465 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have enough .380acp, 9x18 Makarov, 9mm, .38 spl and .45acp to last me a while. I'm also OK with .223, 7.62/39 and .308.

What I really need is .32acp JHP for my mouse gun.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
I was at the Morgantown, PA gun show this weekend and AMMO was the reason most were there. 9mm ranged from $40-60 a box and it was being bought like crazy. most vendors sold out of what they had.
There will be another show next month and the fear is. that same box will be $80-$100!

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8347 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20816 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
It’s only been a month since the last post in this thread, but I’m wondering now how many responses might be different if it were started today.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47407 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately I banked on Trump getting another term as I used up much of my supply, so by the time I pulled my head outta my posterior the prices had jumped.

I find a few "deals" that I once would have balked at (found 9mm Para for 56 cents/round, for example) on ammoseek, but I really am not buying a lot at these prices.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
Nope. Everything owned is already vetted and deemed reliable - so only occasional range trips to verify manipulation are needed.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
Friday I went to the gunshop I sometimes buy ammo from, seeking some 357 Sig ammo.

Their ammo shelves were completely bare, even more than when I was there 2 months ago.

On my last visit, I at least bought 2 boxes 40 SW ammo at a reasonable price.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
Saw this on another site. A pawn shop, apparently.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
I’m stacked pretty deep, and have been shooting very sparingly. Ammo is available around here in the $700 per 1k of 9mm. I have made the decision that I am training hard this summer with my 22 y/o son. I have 3-3.5k of 9mm that I’m willing to shoot before I get into the ammo I want to retain. As much as it pains me to pay these prices, I enjoy shooting and I enjoy training. I have decided the my personal demand for ammo is inelastic. I dry fire practice both with a red dot and without and it is really helping stay proficient. The hardest part of training is finding a range that allows us to train from holster. Unfortunately, I will be buying at these prices.

Posts: 2952 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
Nope. Just won't pay it. Airsoft/pellet is the main form of practice now aside from dryfire. When prices come down to a reasonable level I'll go back to purchasing.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
No loaded ammo for me. I have picked up a few components for a new to me 7/08. A couple weeks ago I did make a straw purchase of 5.56 for a friend who heeded my warnings about 6 months too late.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5150 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Despite being pretty well stocked in both 9mm and .223, I've committed to add with the forum group buy and I also picked up a few boxes of 9mm SGA last week at a lower than "normal" price.

Being concerned about future prices and availability, I figure it's better to add while I can.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38672 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought ammo at Academy yesterday . 22LR was .06 cents per rd and 9mm was .60 cents per rd . Two box limit though .

Posts: 4052 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:
I am a Class K trainer in Florida. I train security guards, body guards, private investigators for their license. I provide ammo for my courses and typically use 21,000 rounds a year in my courses. My business is down 75% in the past year, I can't get ammo from my usual suppliers, and we didn't make expenses in 2020. When a client calls for re-qualification, I tell them they have to bring a box of ammo. The basic 3 day course requires 150-200 rounds and that makes the cost of the ammo prohibitive. The prices they are paying is outrageous. This thing has just about put me out of the firearms training business. I have an instructor development course coming up next month that requires 300 rifle and 300 pistol and I am scraping. I am pretty close to closing the doors.

This kind of anecdote sometimes makes me wonder if this was the goal all along, to institute gun control via making ammo nonexistent.

Wasn’t it Chris Rock that used to joke about all the Democrats needed to do was make each round of ammunition cost $10,000 each?

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I've been thinking this for a long time. And, if we're thinking it, you can bet the commies thought it and put their plans in motion. Gun control the old fashion way hasn't worked out for them. So, what better way to turn firearms into worthless paperweights by choking off the flow of ammo. Say, Bloomberg, Soros, Gates, Bezos and other billionaire leftists buying up raw materials needed to make ammo, and we're where we are. This ammo "shortage" has been going on way too long to be logically explained by any other ways, imo. I've been here 46 years and don't recall any other times that ammo shortage has lasted so long.

Q

Posts: 26371 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I've been thinking this for a long time. And, if we're thinking it, you can bet the commies thought it and put their plans in motion. Gun control the old fashion way hasn't worked out for them. So, what better way to turn firearms into worthless paperweights by choking off the flow of ammo. Say, Bloomberg, Soros, Gates, Bezos and other billionaire leftists buying up raw materials needed to make ammo, and we're where we are. This ammo "shortage" has been going on way too long to be logically explained by any other ways, imo. I've been here 46 years and don't recall any other times that ammo shortage has lasted so long.

No doubt it is extremely suspicious.
You have to ask "would the industry be satisfied with selling half as much and making twice as much?" Confused
I don't think there is that well made of conspiracy but more likely just a prefect storm brewing for the bad. Frown

Posts: 22899 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post