SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    A poll: Are you buying ammunition at the current prices?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A poll: Are you buying ammunition at the current prices? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I am not shooting center fire except for a box here and there. Big PSA match in April so I will shoot a bunch there and majority of my warmup is shooting rimfire.

I watch rimfire prices. On a couple occasions it has dipped to 15 cents a round. Outrageous but keeps me shooting while maintaining a 10k round floor of 22.

I am a stack it deep guy but the situation of my life kind of screwed me. We are moving down to Florida so I made the decision to shoot down my stockpile to a “wartime” footing but no more. Lol. Then all this hit and my stockpile is fine for most things but lower than normal. I didn’t want to move 100k rounds down south. Ant car accident and you might only find pieces of me. Lol.

I’m all 22 right now. Bought about a case and a half at 15 cents. Total bs but now I don’t feel bad shooting.

Posts: 7460 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Having to continue to buy because the kids keep shooting and we have classes planned.

...that I will support
and defend...

Posts: 872 | Location: Northern VA | Registered: July 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Only 9mm. I sold my "last" 9mm pistol over two years ago and traded the remainder of ammo I had. Then I wound up during a trade with a G43. So I bought 9mm ammo. Then came COVID/Riots ect. I only had 500 rds on hand so I have been slowly adding to my inventory and shooting as well. Roll Eyes

I have been using Optics Planet and Sportmans Guide for long range replacement. If a .35-.55 ea deal pops up I try to grab some in the meantime.

Lock N Load

Michael
USMC Ret

Posts: 1450 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
No need. Bought when it was cheap.

Even I didnt have any, I wouldnt buy any right now. Although i am seriosuly thinking of selling some at these stupid prices

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Yup.

Was at the LGS when customer X comes back to return some (38, 357, 7.65mm) ammo because it didn't fit their (38, 357, 7.65mm) firearm.

The store won't accept ammo returns and I offer to buy it for half.

Posts: 9144 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I voted nope. I bought a lot of ammo prior to my retirement in 2018 thinking I would shoot more with all the time I would have. I ended up selling most of it last year to a friend who manages a gun store in Vegas who was having a tough time getting ammo to sell. I haven’t shot in the last year except to maintain my HR218 cert. If prices come back down I might buy some to shoot, but in the meantime, if I want to shoot, I’ll reload a couple hundred and go out.

Posts: 752 | Location: Orange County, CA | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jer830:
I’ll reload a couple hundred and go out.

Where ya gettin' the primers? Big Grin

Oh, my answer was nope, but I didn't like the way the poll was run. It was asked in a way to elicit the desired responses. Maybe.

Way back in undergraduate school, I took an elective. They called it "logic", but I suspect it was to prep crooked sales folks. We learned that you could influence the answers or get the desired responses. This poll is an example of that. Kind of like "have you stopped beating your wife?"

We should give the OP here who we all know and love the benefit of any doubt.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18387 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of T.Webb
posted Hide Post
Recently, a friend from the range passed away due to complications from COVID, and I purchased (2) Dillon 550's from the family to assist them. Now, I'm faced with issues finding primers, powder, and bullets. And I still have to buy dies for my fave calibers.

In the mean time, every time I stop in at the gun-store/fun-store, I try to pick up something to support the LGS. Today, it was 2 boxes of 115 grain 9mm's @ $55.00, and another double mag pouch I didn't really need.

So ... YES ... I'm still buying ammo when I can.

"Tonight, we are a country awakened to danger and called to defend freedom. Our grief has turned to anger and anger to resolution. Whether we bring our enemies to justice or bring justice to our enemies, justice will be done". {George W. Bush, Post 9/11}

Posts: 842 | Location: Long Island, N.Y. / Stephentown, N.Y. | Registered: March 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Steyn
posted Hide Post
Still buying. Prices are still « normal » here in Canuckistan.

Posts: 389 | Registered: October 12, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I voted yes/min but I haven't actually had to buy any and have had the chance to help out a few folks locally and here with some ammo that I didn't really need.

Mainly I would buy some if I picked up a firearm in a cal I don't currently stock just so I could test fire it. I am pretty set in all the common cals.

"I, however, place economy among the first and most important republican virtues, and public debt as the greatest of the dangers to be feared." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1538 | Location: Hartford, AL | Registered: April 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a good supply but may resume a little buying after the weather breaks.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16071 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I'm saying never. As things stand right now, I'm not paying $1 a round for 9mm Luger training ammo, or even more for 5.56/.223. I do have a modest stash, not as much as I want, of course, but enough to fill my needs if I conserve it.

Posts: 27930 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EasyFire
posted Hide Post
I am no longer selling ammo to anyone except blood relatives and those in real need like single mothers with children.

EasyFire [AT] zianet.com
----------------------------------
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Colorado Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
Nationwide Agent for >
US LawShield > https://www.texaslawshield.com...p.php?promo=ondemand
CCW Safe > www.ccwsafe.com/CCHPI

Posts: 1441 | Location: Denver Area Colorado | Registered: December 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
I am good shape for centerfire ammo and 22LR, however wife decided to take up shooting with me a few months ago after years of trying to get her too, yeah good timing.

Since she is mostly shooting 22LR with the Browning Buckmark I am still on the lookout for 22LR that is not outrageously priced. Today I ordered 1000 rounds of Federal Gold Medal Match HV 40 gr ammo for 10.5 cents a round which is the most I ever paid for 22LR but still glad to have a little bit more, especially good quality stuff.

Posts: 9743 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The cold weather here has kept shooting down for a bit so I’ve been stockpiling slowly as work (po-lice) gives me 50 rounds of 9mm or 40 rounds of .223 per month. I’m amazed how many people don’t take it.

Last March, I picked up 1200 rounds of 22 for like $60 to add to the several thousand I already have. Also got a case of 7.62x39 for $260, 200 rounds of 147gr Winchester Ranger T Series, and just ordered another 250 rounds of Horandy Critical Duty 135gr for $145.

This will come around, and when it does and 9mm is under $200 a case I’m going to buy ten cases.

May our caskets be made of hundred-year oak, and may we plant those trees tomorrow.

Posts: 812 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: January 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Keeping the economy moving since 1964
Picture of chbibc
posted Hide Post
Infrequently. I have a good stockpile which I bult up years prior.

-----------------------
You can't fall off the floor.

Posts: 8523 | Location: Rochester, NY behind enemy lines | Registered: March 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
How about another option.... I would if I could.

No ammo in stock, anywhere I can get to in an hour. Just checked a couple places in Anchorage when passing through...none there either. Literally none.

We can't order online, no one will ship to Alaska.

I would pay near any price for more 7.62 for my AR10. I have not seen any in stock, for any price, in over a year.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13951 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
Yes, I'm buying. In fact, I've bought more hunting rifle and shotgun ammo in the last three months than I've ever bought in a single year in the past. I've bought mainly from MidwayUSA and SGAmmo, who have at least kept their prices reasonable or aren't gouging. I did get a few cases of .358 Win from TargetSport. I just ordered Winchester Super X .270 Win 130 gr from MidwayUSA on Monday morning and just got it delivered to my house tonight. Regular shipping. Amazing, especially for Midway. I've gotten to the point where I'm passing up notices for ammo from Midway and SGAmmo since I am overstocked right now. The only exception will be .45-70. I could use some more of that. Waiting for Federal, Winchester or Remington 300 grain and 405 grain.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Only when a deal presents itself.

A couple of weeks ago I went to Cabela's, Herters 9mm was 13.99 for 50 rounds, CCI Mini Mag .22LR was 9.99 for 100, I bought my limit. Early January at Wal-Mart I got the CCI's there for the same price.

I refuse to pay a buck a round for 9mm or .69 a round for .22. Plus shipping!

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It depends. Not buying 22lr or handgun ammo, as I have rather healthy inventory compared to my consumption levels. Same for shotgun shells.

I am buying rifle ammo, as I shoot rifles year round and in fairly high volume. By caliber:

6.5 Creedmoor, my primary match ammo -- I have quite a bit on hand, but always looking for more. I use only Hornady 140 ELD, which has almost disappeared from website sales. Well, unless one wants to pay $3 to $4 per round, which I'm unwilling to do. I should survive a couple seasons of competition with the inventory I have.

6 Creedmoor, my soon to be #2 match ammo, for matches with lower round counts. I have purchased a crap load of this over the past few months. When other caliber factory ammo was flying off the shelf, 6CM was available at prices that were only slightly elevated from those a year ago. Prices have increased enough over the last month that I won't buy any more, but I don't need any more either.

308 Win, a training round. Prices for FGMM 168 and 175 are all over the board, from $2 to $5 per round. No need to buy either, as my inventory is respectable. But I will eventually transition toward better bullets, such as the tipped Hornady 168. About a month ago I found Hornady Black Amax 168 at a decent price, ordered 400 rounds, and probably got most of the available lot. I saw the rounds on ammoseek.com when I got up at 5am. After I printed my invoice, the distributor was sold out. I can train hard for more than two years with my current inventory.

223 Win, a primary training round and a competition round. Match-grade 223 ammo has been a challenge for the past year. I had almost weaned my inventory to only Hornady 75 and FGMM 69. Then both of them became hard to find by late spring 2020. I tested a bunch of other brands' 69-grain loads for accuracy, and found a few options. When H-75 and F-69 were available at only slightly-inflated prices, I bought many hundreds of rounds at a time. Haven't seen either in awhile. Winchester's 69 SMK has been available for couple of months -- sometimes with good prices (which I might buy) and sometimes at ludicrous prices (no way, Jose). My current 223 inventory is higher than it's ever been, at prices only slightly elevated from those of a year or two ago. I don't buy FMJ ammo.

I search ammoseek.com a few times a day. In recent months I've purchased from sgammo, target sports, midwayusa, brownells, bone frog, among others. Pretty comfy that I can continue to practice and compete for at least 2-3 years on what I have, without reducing my shooting volume.

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post