SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    A poll: Are you buying ammunition at the current prices?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A poll: Are you buying ammunition at the current prices? Login/Join 
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted
I’m posting this question as a poll because it’s such a sensitive issue with some people, and I’m hoping the option of anonymous replies will result in more responses. Please add any comments you wish about why you are or are not buying ammunition now (when it’s available) even at much higher prices than a year or more ago.

However, please restrict your comments to why you are or are not buying now, and do not offer your opinions about other people’s choices, for example, “You’re a fool if ….” If you feel compelled to express your opinions about others’ choices in a general forum like this, all you are really doing is trying to justify your choices to yourself by ridiculing others. Also, the poll is not about “woulda, coulda, shoulda”; anyone with half a brain at this point knows what they are.
Thank you.

Also note that the question is about current prices, that is, the ones that are typically much higher than what they were a year or more ago. If you’ve got access to someone who’s still selling you 9mm training ammo at $199 per 1000 rounds, or you want to brag that you can find ammo at old prices “If you look,” but aren’t willing to share your secret sources with the rest of us, that’s not what this poll is about. “Buying” refers to now or in the immediate past, or what you intend to buy very soon with the assumption prices aren’t about to go down. It also assumes that you can find what you want, just at higher prices. I.e., if you shoot 9mm and I offered you 100 rounds for $80, would you buy it today?

Meanings of the responses:

“Yes, the minimum necessary” refers to buying what’s absolutely required, such as a basic self-defense load or perhaps enough to qualify for a concealed weapon permit or LE qualification that you have to pay for yourself.

“Yes, minor discretionary” refers to limited buying for something like a special occasion such as taking a friend to the range for a session.

“Yes, limited replacing and/or stockpiling” refers to buying just to increase or replenish a stockpile that you already have, but not at the rate you would if the prices were lower. This applies whether you are shooting any of your current supplies or not.

“Yes, routine stockpiling” refers to buying to increase your stockpile or to replace all the ammo you’re currently shooting. I.e., you like to keep or increase a certain quantity on hand, and current prices aren’t affecting your purchases.

“Nope, never” means you will never purchase ammunition at the current prices.

If no responses describe your situation, select whatever is closest.

Question:
Are you buying ammunition at the current prices?

Choices:
Yes, the minimum necessary.
Yes, minor discretionary.
Yes, limited replacing and/or stockpiling.
Yes, routine stockpiling.
Nope, never.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Can't do it.
I would consider trading some existing ammo for other ammo but not going to pay a buck a round for 9mm.
In fact I will probably unload some high end 308 hunting ammo that I am not going to use.
Got plenty of reloading supplies ~ just need to get busy and ride it out.
Have a good supply now but not going to be foolish or going to shoot it up fast just to have to replace it at ridiculous prices.

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Nope airguns and dryfire/laser targets.

I gotta house payment coming up though so if anybody wants to buy a brick of .22. Big Grin Razz

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7675 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
I'm shooting my air/CO₂ handguns a lot and saving the real ammo for real targets.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15476 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, only as needed. I'm fortunate to know of a local dealer that's not pumping up prices for the most part however. The two box limit I can live with; for now.

Posts: 3212 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
Not buying, and not shooting what I have.

Sitting pretty good, but don’t want to use what I have.

Not sure how this will workout as my youngest daughter went to the range Monday, so stockpile will still be taken down a notch by others.

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ol' Jack always says...
what the hell.
posted Hide Post
I bought some Gold Dots in 9mm and 40SW a couple months ago because I had a mag of each left. Got it from TSUSA. The second order from there was $10 more per box. I will not be buying anymore.

I did get a restock notification from Midway for some ammo that I had put the notification in for well over a year ago. The price of that ammo wasn't effected by the current shortages, it was already high.

Posts: 10188 | Location: PA | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Not buying or selling. I did an inventory the other day, was sure that I had more. It's enough for us

Posts: 5317 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I'm not buying because I've got enough components and rimfire ammo stashed away to hold me for a long, long time.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
I have a fair supply & I'm not shooting it. I did recently buy four boxes of S&B 10mm JHPs.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5478 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I voted Nope, never.

I am buying when I find at pre or near pre-covid prices.

I have picked up 9mm Fiocchi 115 & 124 gr 9mm and CCI Blazer aluminum at Scheel's in Frisco for $14 & $15 per box of 50, limit 2 boxes per customer. When I have people with me, I have them get 2 boxes as well.

Also Fiocchi 223 rem 55 gr at Scheels, $24 per 100 rd box.

Federal & Winchester 12 ga 2.75" )) Bick and slugs for $4.99 per 5 rd box at Scheels.

$94 for Winchester M855 62 gr green tip, 200 rd loose pack box and $9.99 M855 in 20 rd boxes at Academy.

Federal Classic, 3" 12 Gauge 00 Buckshot for $8.54

Federal Premium Vital-Shok, 12 Gauge, 2 3/4", 1 oz. TruBall Deep Penetrator Rifled Slug for $4.74 per box

Hornady LEVERevolution, .45-70 Gov., FTX, 325 Grain for $36 per box at Sportsmans Guide.

Enter in-stock notifications for Sportsmans Guide and order QUICK when notified before it is gone.

Posts: 1061 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I followed some brilliant advice to "buy it cheap and stack it deep" years ago.

What my family is shooting now will just reduce the amount I will leave to the kids when I don't need it anymore.

The prices I see nowdays do cause me to pucker.

Posts: 1349 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
At my present rate of usage on the range, I have 5 years of ammo.

My hope is that by the time I need more things will have gone back to something more normal.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10905 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
If I find it at lower prices does that still qualify as "current price"?

I've just gotten better at searching and my network of family and friends back home buying for me when they are out.

I haven't slowed down buying but I also have not paid increased prices.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6314 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OttoSig:
If I find it at lower prices does that still qualify as "current price"?

quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Also note that the question is about current prices, that is, the ones that are typically much higher than what they were a year or more ago. If you’ve got access to someone who’s still selling you 9mm training ammo at $199 per 1000 rounds, or you want to brag that you can find ammo at old prices “If you look,” but aren’t willing to share your secret sources with the rest of us, that’s not what this poll is about.

Emphasis added.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
Yep, unfortunately. I have never been able to financially justify buying cheap and stacking deep before. I've made smarter decisions recently though, and for the first time in my life I am starting to have some discretionary income. Unfortunately, the prices are what they are and I'm kind of stuck. I don't buy a lot due to the prices, but there are a few calibers where I really don't have an adequate supply.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
no,

I think you need to change your name to "pollster"
Razz

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19158 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
I am buying, pretty much just .22 LR and .22 magnum as it comes up close to what I was paying before...i.e. got some CCI Quiet at .07/Rnd, pick up 300 rounds of WMR at .35/Round, etc. Small $$ amounts here and there if comes up “reasonable” for today. I have not seen 9mm, .223, .380, or .32 ACP “reasonable” so have not picked any up. I have seen some 7.62x39 deals coming in around .40-40/rnd which is OK, but have a good stock and only a few rifles that shoot this so have not pulled the trigger, though this seems to be fairly accessible. This way, don’t feel bad about shooting my .22 stock a bit here and there. I too am practicing more with my Sig P210 Pellet pistol - upside is bullet trap in the house means we can practice anytime. I have a patient wife Wink.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Learned to roll my own when O'Zero got elected.
Bought powder and primers to last me quite a while. Only thing I may need is bullets.

Posts: 1361 | Registered: October 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Bought a little bit to support a rifle in a new to me caliber. Not nearly as much as the amount of stock on hand I’d like to have, but I’m not laying in stock at these prices.

Posts: 6914 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post