SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Terrifying arsenal of guns and ammunition found at home of would-be school shooter
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Terrifying arsenal of guns and ammunition found at home of would-be school shooter Login/Join 
Picture of olfuzzy
posted
I was going to make some wise crack about their definition of arsenal but then I noticed it was California Roll Eyes . When are people going to open their eyes and see the common denominator with most of these shootings ?

Deputies learned that the 17-year-old had an extensive discipline history at the school

Authorities say a student's plot for a mass shooting at a Southern California high school led to the discovery of a cache of weapons at the student's home.

The alleged threat at El Camino High School occurred on Friday, two days after the shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida, that left 17 people dead.

Norwalk-La Mirada Unified School District resource Officer Marino Chavez reported that he overheard the student threatening that 'he was going to shoot up the school sometime in the next three weeks', reported the Whittier Daily News.

'Deputies learned that the 17-year-old had an extensive discipline history at the school,' Los Angeles County Sheriff Jim McDonnell said a press conference.

'They also learned that a Smith & Wesson semi-automatic weapon was registered to his home address.'

After obtaining a warrant to search the student's home in Norwalk, deputies found two AR-15 rifles, two handguns and 90 high-capacity ammunition magazines, McDonnell said.

According to the sheriff, the teen's older brother, who is a 28-year-old Army veteran, claimed ownership of the weapons.

One of the AR-15 rifles was registered to the older brother, but the other was unregistered, 'which in California is a felony,' McDonnell said.

The student has been arrested on suspicion of making criminal threats and his brother was also arrested on suspicion of charges including possession of an assault weapon, import of high-capacity magazines, criminal storage of firearms and failure to register a personal handgun.

According to Robert Jacobsen, an attorney for the Norwalk-La Mirada Unified School District, told reporters the student was arguing with a teacher over a set of headphones.

A short time later, Chavez, the school security officer, allegedly overheard the student making threatening remarks.

Chavez told reporters that the teenager had remarked 'that within three weeks there would be a school shooting on campus.'

'He did say that he was just kidding, that he did not mean it,' Chavez said. 'I said, "Well, you can't say those things on a school campus".'

No weapons were found on the student at the time, officials said. Chavez said he took the teen to the school's office, where he confirmed the remark, prompting Chavez to contact the sheriff's department.

The teen had an extensive disciplinary history at the school, McDonnell added.

This is the second serious threat at El Camino High School that week, the sheriff said.

On February 15, a student who had been suspended told his mother he wanted a school administrator dead. The mother reported her son, saying she did not know what he was capable of, said McDonnell.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/new...-school-shooter.html

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
FFS Have we upped the chem trails, or fluoride in the water or high fructose corn syrup or something. What is with all the folks letting their batshit flags fly???

I swear can’t folks get drunk fall down and get over shit anymore???

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7675 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:

One of the AR-15 rifles was registered to the older brother, but the other was unregistered, 'which in California is a felony,' McDonnell said.

The student has been arrested on suspicion of making criminal threats and his brother was also arrested on suspicion of charges including possession of an assault weapon, import of high-capacity magazines, criminal storage of firearms and failure to register a personal handgun.

Oh for chrissakes. Roll Eyes

Well, that'll learn ya for living in a communist state.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:

In fairness to the PRK, saying 'that within three weeks there would be a school shooting on campus.' is a real stupid move in ANY state.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
quote:

Que?

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
A cache eh?

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37950 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
the teen's older brother, who is a 28-year-old Army veteran, claimed ownership of the weapons.

Another mistake. Don't tell them anything. let them make their own case.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10907 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
A cache eh?

Well, it is California.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
quote:
the teen's older brother, who is a 28-year-old Army veteran, claimed ownership of the weapons.

Another mistake. Don't tell them anything. let them make their own case.

You now have to REGISTER ARs in Kalifornia???

How much safer does that make anyone? Didn't the Muslim shooting family in San Bernadino use ARs?

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
90 mags is a lot, so I can see them being worried. Either way, his brother is now in trouble, felonies unfortunately.

-c1steve

Posts: 4052 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigcpa:
quote:

Que?

Since 2000, a semi-automatic rifle with a detachable magazine and any of a list of evil features (collapsible stock, pistol grip, flash hider, etc) is considered an "assault weapon" in the PRK. The way around that was a "bullet-button" which replaced the magazine release button and required a bullet or some pointy tool to drop a magazine. Well, they recently passed gunmageddon, a whole panopoly of horsefeces, one of the features of which was to make it so bullet-buttons no longer get around the "assault weapon" definition. As of real soon (if not already), one has to either replace their magazine release with something that requires opening the action to drop the magazine, convert the rifle to featureless, or register it as an "assault weapon." (Or, do the logical thing and get the heck out of this communist paradise.) Note that registered "assault weapons" cannot be transferred in the PRK, and must be turned into the police for destruction (or shipped out of state ahead of time) after the owner dies.

It is all insanely ridiculous, but after a generation or two there will be very few "assault rifles" in the state that are not owned by the government.

ETA:

quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
You now have to REGISTER ARs in Kalifornia???

How much safer does that make anyone? Didn't the Muslim shooting family in San Bernadino use ARs?

Either that, lobotomize them, or convert them to featureless. My preference is that latter, but each his own.

Yes, the San Bernadino shooters used ARs. I don't know whether they were compliant or not. I believe at the time of that shooting, it was legal to have (maybe even to buy, don't remember the timing) bullet button ARs in the PRK. One can swap the bullet button for a regular mag release button in a handful of minutes. That wouldn't be legal in the PRK, but if one is going off on a shooting rampage (not a highly legal activity), worrying about illegally creating an assault rifle by replacing a bullet button with a regular magazine button may not be one's biggest concern...

Posts: 6916 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
If a disgruntled high school student with a history of disciplinary problems and who has access to potential weapons is making threats like that, then I’m dam’ glad someone took action to prevent another slaughter. The justification for the laws pertaining to the guns in this case is a separate matter and immaterial to what might have been. And regardless of where it occurred if a child—especially an exceptionally irresponsible child—had direct access to those guns (assuming he did), his brother was wrong to permit it.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47399 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Wait, wait, please explain. Magazines can be anywhere from 5 to 100 rounds. Which are illegal? I know those folks are sensitive and all, but why do we believe anything the press prints these days.

Then we could do the members here a huge service by explaining what an arsenal and an armory really is. I freely admit I don't know. I hope my basement qualifies. If it doesn't, I guess I can afford to improve things.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18387 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
quote:
quote:

In fairness to the PRK, saying 'that within three weeks there would be a school shooting on campus.' is a real stupid move in ANY state.

Absolutely. My beef is with charging the older brother with a felony for possessing items that millions of us have as well as unregistered. Not to mention "criminal storage of firearms?" What?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
If a disgruntled high school student with a history of disciplinary problems and who has access to potential weapons is making threats like that, then I’m dam’ glad someone took action to prevent another slaughter. The justification for the laws pertaining to the guns in this case is a separate matter and immaterial to what might have been.

Agree 100%. This is the bigger issue.

As someone subject (currently) to those ridiculous laws, I tend to get a bit bogged down there from time to time. You are absolutely right though that preventing a potential problem (even if the kid was only shooting off his mouth) is the priority.

Posts: 6916 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
A cache eh?

Well, it is California.

Shit. People are concerned with building a wall along Mexico.

It might make more sense to build that shit along California as they clearly don't want to be a part of the United States...

Posts: 13097 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
Wait, wait, please explain. Magazines can be anywhere from 5 to 100 rounds. Which are illegal? I know those folks are sensitive and all, but why do we believe anything the press prints these days.

In the PRK, it has been illegal to buy, sell, offer for sale, lend, import, manufacture, etc "high capacity" magazines for a long time (I think since 2000 when the CA "assault weapon ban" went into affect. Most of us would use the term "normal capacity" rather than high capacity, but as far as the PRK is concerned, anything over 10 rounds is "high capacity."

quote:
Then we could do the members here a huge service by explaining what an arsenal and an armory really is. I freely admit I don't know. I hope my basement qualifies. If it doesn't, I guess I can afford to improve things.

Big Grin

quote:
Absolutely. My beef is with charging the older brother with a felony for possessing items that millions of us have an unregistered. Not to mention "criminal storage of firearms?" What?

The People's Republik of Kalifornia has required registering (normal, non-lobotomized) ARs since 2000 or thereabouts.

"Criminal Storage" statute:

CHAPTER 2. Criminal Storage of Firearm [25100 - 25140] ( Chapter 2 added by Stats. 2010, Ch. 711, Sec. 6. )

(a) Except as provided in Section 25105, a person commits the crime of “criminal storage of a firearm in the first degree” if all of the following conditions are satisfied:

(1) The person keeps any loaded firearm within any premises that are under the person’s custody or control.

(2) The person knows or reasonably should know that a child is likely to gain access to the firearm without the permission of the child’s parent or legal guardian, or that a person prohibited from possessing a firearm or deadly weapon pursuant to state or federal law is likely to gain access to the firearm.

(3) The child obtains access to the firearm and thereby causes death or great bodily injury to the child or any other person, or the person prohibited from possessing a firearm or deadly weapon pursuant to state or federal law obtains access to the firearm and thereby causes death or great bodily injury to himself or herself or any other person.

(b) Except as provided in Section 25105, a person commits the crime of “criminal storage of a firearm in the second degree” if all of the following conditions are satisfied:

(1) The person keeps any loaded firearm within any premises that are under the person’s custody or control.

(2) The person knows or reasonably should know that a child is likely to gain access to the firearm without the permission of the child’s parent or legal guardian, or that a person prohibited from possessing a firearm or deadly weapon pursuant to state or federal law is likely to gain access to the firearm.

(3) The child obtains access to the firearm and thereby causes injury, other than great bodily injury, to the child or any other person, or carries the firearm either to a public place or in violation of Section 417, or the person prohibited from possessing a firearm or deadly weapon pursuant to state or federal law obtains access to the firearm and thereby causes injury, other than great bodily injury, to himself or herself or any other person, or carries the firearm either to a public place or in violation of Section 417.

(c) Except as provided in Section 25105, a person commits the crime of “criminal storage of a firearm in the third degree” if the person keeps any loaded firearm within any premises that are under the person’s custody or control and negligently stores or leaves a loaded firearm in a location where the person knows, or reasonably should know, that a child is likely to gain access to the firearm without the permission of the child’s parent or legal guardian, unless reasonable action is taken by the person to secure the firearm against access by the child.

(Amended by Stats. 2013, Ch. 758, Sec. 1.5. (SB 363) Effective January 1, 2014.)

ETA: Upon reading the above, it appears that even if I write up a note authorizing the kids access to the firearms they regularly, proficiently, and responsibly shoot, if I leave them access to firearms to defend themselves in the home (on the ranch, ~1.5 miles from the nearest public road, where the Sheriff's Office response time is likely to be about a half hour) and someone invades the home and they shoot the SOB I have committed "Criminal Storage." Damn, I need to get out of here...

posted Hide Post
Here is a voice of sanity and reason.

http://fox4kc.com/2018/02/20/k...ol-shootings-in-u-s/

Posts: 550 | Location: Gun Friendly Arizona | Registered: August 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by c1steve:
90 mags is a lot, so I can see them being worried. .....

Oh BULLSHIT. You have no idea what your're talking about.

I'll bet many on this forum have 90+ mags.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10907 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
quote:
Originally posted by c1steve:
90 mags is a lot, so I can see them being worried. .....

Oh BULLSHIT. You have no idea what your're talking about.

I'll bet many on this forum have 90+ mags.

I feel suddenly inadequate. Guess I’ll place an order.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post