SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Signed up for Hospice Care today
Page 1 2 3 4 ... 19
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Signed up for Hospice Care today Login/Join 
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted
We started the process with my GP last Friday. The home hospice has someone for everything, every need, an evaluator, a facilitator, a nurse, chaplain, social worker, more besides, probably.

The hospice takes care of medications, everything necessary to take care of your life ending ailment, wet wipes, vitamins, cough drops, allergy meds, pain pills, Kleenex, I guess. A nurse calls on you every week or as often as necessary. There are hospice aides to bathe, shave, barber, massage, handle pet therapy, and more besides. Some of these will become more important as I get worse, of course.

I had an appointment with the cardiologist today. That went ordinarily enough, but I had a hard time getting out to the car, and from car to office and back using a wheel chair. Walking more than a few steps has become a real challenge lately. It will get worse.

I have appreciated many very kind comments of hope to get well soon, etc. but that isn’t one of the possibilities. No telling what the future is, but that isn’t one. I’ve come to admire and respect quite a few of the “regulars” here, and am grateful for all the help I’ve gotten the last ~10 years with the mysteries of firearms especially. So there is a lot to be pleased and happy about.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry it has come to this. It is good that you have a strong dedication to the process, and a good attitude.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
I admire hospice nurses. They are a gift. I have a lot of talents but theirs is special.

I hope they ease your transition to whatever comes next.

Your contributions here will help us remember you, fondly.

Wishing you peace and strength.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
You are in my thoughts, I don't know what else I can say.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am extremely sad to read this, JAllen. I wish you as much comfort and peace as possible for the time you have remaining.

Godspeed my friend.

Posts: 4981 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
My best to you JAllen, and please call on me for anything.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
We have at times disagreed over the years, but I have always respected the man that you are.

For a while I had this quotation from Tecumseh as a signature line:

"When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home."

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11106 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
I have strongly mixed feeling.

It is heartbreaking to realize you have reached this stage. You will continue to be in my thoughts and prayers.

I am comforted to know that you are going into the care of hospice. They are an incredible group. They helped my dad and all of us with his final days and i will be forever grateful for their care.

As always, if there is anything i can do.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3848 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
JALLEN, you and I have never met, and I don't believe we've ever communicated directly.
But you are certainly "one of the 'regulars' here," and I've enjoyed your posts often. Many of the articles you've posted have been quite thought-provoking, and I have appreciated your efforts in getting us to think about things and to think about topics fairly.

Like marksman41, I wish you comfort and peace, and like so many others here I appreciate your contributions to the forum.

God bless America.

Posts: 13486 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know how to express words for the future. So, i will comment on what has passed. I have enjoyed many of your posts over the years. Often times i search them out in a thread then go back to re-read a thread. So, for that thank you greatly.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I wish you the very best as your time with us comes to an end. May it be as comfortable as possible. I hope it's filled with an abundance of love from family and friends..

Your wisdom and insights will certainly be missed.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
Jim, I am sorry you are having to deal with this. I will not wait until work brings me again to your area to bring you the cream cheese you love; I will take a ride on my motorcycle and bring some to you to enjoy. You are a great and wise man I am glad to personally know. Always let me know if there is anything else I can do.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Jim, I don't think it can be overstated just how tangible your absence will be felt whenever that time may come. The hole that will be left will be real.

Having said that, I'll continue to toast daily to your well being and enjoy your consistent witty and knowledgeable contribution to the forum.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Balzé Halzé,

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear this. You have been a member here for as long as I can remember. I think the forum has been a better place with you posting here.

Thoughts and prayer on the way.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16391 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dlc444
posted Hide Post
I don't really know what to say, but you are in my thoughts and prayers. You are a brave man. I hope I can face my hardships (for lack of a better word) with such stoicism.

-.---.----.. -.---.----.. -.---.----..
It seems to me that any law that is not enforced and can't be enforced weakens all other laws.

Posts: 4357 | Location: Tampa | Registered: August 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I am so saddened with this news, I don't know you, but from reading all your informative posts, over all the years, I feel like I know you.
You are a treasure, you always will be, to so many people.
You have made a POSITIVE impact on the world and the lives of MANY people.
What more could any being ask for of life they were given.

Bless you!

Posts: 4622 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
JAllen, I am very sorry it has come to this. You have always been one of those members whose posts I pay close attention to - kind of like the old EF Hutton commercials. I sincerely wish you and your family the best.
Take care.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4929 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
God bless, Jallen. Stay strong and be at peace.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
I too am sorry to of hear this stage in your life. I wish you the best and I hope we can meet on the other side. In the interim, I will miss your writing and veiwpoint.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20319 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
JALLEN, you really are a highlight of this forum. I always read your posts and I always enjoy and respect your opinions.

I don't like that you have entered this chapter of your life, but I will continue to lift you in prayer. God bless you, sir.

Posts: 8610 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post