SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What are you cooking this Labor Day weekend?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What are you cooking this Labor Day weekend? Login/Join 
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted
What's on the menu this Labor Day weekend?

I'm smoking a pork shoulder today. Here it is a few hours in, earlier this morning.

Trimmed and injected it last night with HowToBBQRight.com's pork injection recipe:
1/2 cup Apple Juice
1/2 cup Water
1/4 cup Brown Sugar
1/4 cup Salt
1/2 TBS Soy Sauce
1/2 TBS Worcestershire Sauce

Coated it this morning with a little yellow mustard and a bunch of Texas BBQ Rub's "Grand Champion" rub. (My personal favorite for pork.) http://www.texasbbqrub.com/gc.htm

Smoking it all day at ~240, spritzing every couple hours with a 50/50 mix of Apple Cider vinegar and water. Once it hits ~165 internal after ~6-7 hours on, I'll wrap it in foil for the remainder.

Should be ready to be taken off once it hits 195 internal after ~9-10 total hours on the smoker. Then it's into a cooler to rest for another hour.

Then pull and eat.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
Working the night shift in the ER all weekend and Labor Day. But I am smoking some bacon that's been curing the past week today!

Posts: 2155 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Just left DC Fish Market with two of the biggest king crab legs I've seen in my time on this planet. It was over $60 for just two legs! Eek Plus a pound of sea scallops to go with. I think I'm going to make some pasta Alfredo and chef salad to go with. I'll figure that part out after I go home.

Whatever we don't eat of seafood can get cut up and thrown in leftover pasta for dinner tomorrow.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20820 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Merlot and I will be there about 6:00PM.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15482 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Rogue,

That looks like a pretty simple combo of ingredients there. Even I might be able to pull that off.

Please let us know how it turns out.

I haven't used the electric smoker much these past couple of months.

Posts: 13109 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am planning on smoking some large boneless country style pork ribs with either hickory, or alder wood.....maybe a bit of both.....a nice bourbon while smoking, of course.

Posts: 6617 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
Smoking baby backs on the bge knockoff Vision.

Foster's, Australian for Bud

Posts: 7507 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Drunken Noodles or Red Curry. Very probably the Red Curry. Yes, Red Curry.

Today, Monday, chicken corn chowder; a janus dish for the summer and autumn.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mr kablammo,

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Ramen. But I'm gonna splurge and put a poached egg in it.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy high and sell "low"
Picture of archerman
posted Hide Post
Ribs on Monday, I am being lazy and they are the easiest for me to smoke/cook.

Pics will be up on Monday...

Here are some pics of the start, Mesquite wood, and some Royal Oak Lump Charcoal.

Top rack is rubbed with my Kansas City Rub.

Lower rack is rubbed with Mustard, and Dizzy Pig cow lick seasoning mixed with turbanado sugar.

Thanks,

This message has been edited. Last edited by: archerman,

Archerman

Posts: 2486 | Location: N. Idaho | Registered: February 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Got company coming over tonight. Six and a half pounds of cedar plank grilled salmon on the BGE!!

Posts: 214 | Registered: December 29, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
Pork chili verde Smile

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10490 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
Just me and the wife tonight. Over to daughter's on Monday and I'm pretty sure that will be brisket and all of that sort of stuff. For tonight, it's steak salad. Flat Iron grilled med-rare, sliced thin on top of a mixed green salad. I like blue cheese dressing and my sweetie likes thousand island. A couple of pieces of multi grain bread from Panera's. A little later it's some peach-vanilla Blue Bell for dessert.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Surfer
posted Hide Post
Smoking ribs on our new Pit Boss pellet grill-smoker.

Posts: 1639 | Location: South East Mo. | Registered: March 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
My wife is working all weekend and Monday; I'll be home alone, so I'll be ordering pizza.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16513 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
Invited to an Italian Feast at a friend's condo here in Lake Tahoe's Incline Village. Just 3 couples; bring your best shot and a bottle. Host is of Italian heritage and is making gravy. I'm cooking Saltimbocca, SWMBO has the insalata. Other couple is bringing Lasagna. I won't last too long.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
I'm working a few hours in the morning Saturday and tomorrow. Having 4 of my buddies over tomorrow as we are planning our yearly Oktoberfest road trip to Schells brewery coming in just over a month.
So I'm putting on a buffet of sorts. Smoked hot wings with just some seasoned smoked wings as well.

Pork belly burnt ends and picked up some flank steaks for smoked fajitas!
got all the major proteins covered.
The starch is provided from smoked bacon and mac and cheese!

We will throw some bean bags, talk smart and drink more then we should. And probably eat more than we should. But hey it's fuckin' 'Merica!!

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8531 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
Steaming some Maryland blue crabs and downing some Corona Cool

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doubtful...
Picture of TomS
posted Hide Post
Not cooking anything this weekend. I'm in New Orleans for the weekend and have managed to find a few good places to sit and be served! Cool

Best regards,

Tom

I have no comment at this time.

Posts: 3110 | Location: Coker Creek,TN | Registered: April 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Right now I'm baking some puffs for my cream puffs. I'll probably do some grilled bbq chicken breasts tomorrow

Posts: 462 | Location: Greenfield, IN | Registered: December 29, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post