SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Would you point out an embarrasing stain to an otherwise presentable stranger?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Would you point out an embarrasing stain to an otherwise presentable stranger? Login/Join 
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
I think it would have been awkward but most people would appreciate being alerted to the situation.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I slipped and fell on an icy slope and dinged myself in the forehead with a clipboard. I got up, collected my stuff, and went about the rest of my day without thinking anything of it.

At the end of the day, I looked in the car's rearview mirror and saw that I had a nice trail of dried blood down my forehead and onto the bridge of my nose.

I have no idea how many people I talked to that afternoon, none of whom said a thing about the blood. Did they think I'd just gotten out of one fight and was looking for another, or what? It would have been nice if someone had told me about it!

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2064 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
I'd have to say something and I'd be embarrassed doing so. Like I think you sat on something, check your pants.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8330 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
So you assume he shat himself and didn't even know it?

Not likely, he likely did know it, so then, what else to do but retreat to the car and perhaps home to clean up?

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
I would say something and I think most folks would appreciate being told.

Several years ago I had a chipotle burrito for lunch. A few hours later I went to the bathroom and noticed I had a huge piece of black bean stuck between my front teeth. I talked to several people after lunch and no one said anything. I was Pissed.

Posts: 5760 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not easy being me
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by whanson_wi:
I slipped and fell on an icy slope and dinged myself in the forehead with a clipboard. I got up, collected my stuff, and went about the rest of my day without thinking anything of it.

At the end of the day, I looked in the car's rearview mirror and saw that I had a nice trail of dried blood down my forehead and onto the bridge of my nose.

I have no idea how many people I talked to that afternoon, none of whom said a thing about the blood. Did they think I'd just gotten out of one fight and was looking for another, or what? It would have been nice if someone had told me about it!

Or...when you get the opportunity to add a CUT, maybe RAMBO would be appropriate!!

Posts: 2769 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: March 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sound and Fury
Picture of Dallas239
posted Hide Post
I'm in the crowd that would say something. Maybe just a casual, "You've got something on your pants." I'd be much less embarrassed to hear that from a stranger than a coworker.

"I've spoken of the shining city all my political life, but I don't know if I ever quite communicated what I saw when I said it. But in my mind it was a tall proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, wind-swept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace, a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity, and if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here." -- Ronald Reagan, Farewell Address, Jan. 11, 1989

Si vis pacem para bellum
There are none so blind as those who refuse to see.
Feeding Trolls Since 1995

Posts: 18039 | Registered: February 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by whanson_wi:

Several winters back, I evidently got a fairly epic nosebleed on the way home from work. The air was dry, it was dark, I was on the interstate, and I thought my nose was running. I pulled a napkin out of the center console and wiped it. My wife needed me to stop and pick up some key ingredients for dinner on the way home and I was in a hurry and not generally in the habit of checking myself in the mirror, so I stopped in the grocery store, then got in my car and came home. I was greeted by a horrified look and a “what happened to you!?!” I responded “what do you mean?” I was instructed to go look in the mirror and when I did, I saw I had smeared a big swipe of blood across one cheek and my mustache and beard were caked with it in spots. I looked like someone had punched me in the nose. I walked all through Safeway like that and marveled at how everyone got out of my way, not realizing I was looking like Tyler Durden.

That said, there wouldn’t have been much I could have done about it at the time, and since I tend to mind my own business, if I saw that some stranger had shit their pants in public, well... I’ve watched people shit on the sidewalk in public and decided that was someone else’s problem also.

Posts: 17114 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
Definitely would have told him if I had a chance. How ever if I had to sprint twenty yards up to him before he left in a vehicle making him think he was being robbed, he’s on his own.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4829 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
If you knew him I believe it would be considerate to mention he might have sat on something without sharing your opinion as to what. Otherwise I would say nothing.

Posts: 6956 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
I would have kept it simple not knowing what it may have been on his pants.
I would have discreetly said "sir you might have sat in some wet paint you might want to check your pants" and left it at that.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2571 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be prepared for loud noise and recoil
Picture of sigalert
posted Hide Post
My wife does this all the time to me. Usually at a point where I can't do anything about it. If I can't fix it, I'd rather just be left alone.

“Crisis is the rallying cry of the tyrant.” – James Madison

"Keep your fears to yourself, but share your courage with others." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Posts: 3620 | Location: Middle Tennessee  | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post