SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Would you point out an embarrasing stain to an otherwise presentable stranger?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Would you point out an embarrasing stain to an otherwise presentable stranger? Login/Join 
Devil's Advocate
Picture of Holger Danske
posted
On my morning walk with the baby and the dog, I pass by the neighborhood coffee shop. This morning, a mid-fifties guy, well groomed and wearing pressed stone khakis and a tucked polo shirt with some company logo came out of the shop. We nodded hello, and as he was getting in his car, I noticed he had what could only be a shart stain on his britches. I thought, oh man, that would suck, and before I could really process through, he had gotten in his car, and was on his way.

So I got to thinking -- how to best handle that situation? Get his attention and say something like: "I hate to embarrass you, but you have a brown stain on the seat of your pants. I know I'd hate to go through my day not knowing that"? Or just let it go?

Personally, I would be horrified a) to have that happen, but as we all know, shit happens; and b) to have it pointed out to me. But then, better to catch it at 8:45 in the morning than later that night when you're shedding your clothes from a busy day of meeting folks.

________
Homo sum: humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 1080 | Location: Baton Rouge | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
No good deed goes unpunished...

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nope. Perhaps in a small town, not an urban setting. Not everyone reacts positively to such things.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I doubt that I would have noticed it.

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Warhorse:

Don't think I would have noticed another man's butt either. Big Grin

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
quote:

Winner winner chicken dinner!!! Wink

I am a live and let live type. Unless you are obviously going to severely injure yourself or others, I let people do what they want to do.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Devil's Advocate
Picture of Holger Danske
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Nope. Perhaps in a small town, not an urban setting. Not everyone reacts positively to such things.

This part of BR is basically it's own small town.

________

Posts: 1080 | Location: Baton Rouge | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

What I meant, butt I was being tactful.

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member!
posted Hide Post
I would thank someone who told me. Better the a little embarrassment with a stranger versus the total embarrassment in front of co-workers or other similar.

Posts: 4343 | Location: Boise, ID USA | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Devil's Advocate
Picture of Holger Danske
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Well, it was pretty hard to miss. And I find it interesting that a group of people who are constantly decrying the ubiquitous nose in the phone and complaining about the general lack of situational awareness would proclaim that they don't actually pay attention to what's around them when out for a walk Smile

________

A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
You KNOW it's a rough bunch here...if you weren't aware of that before, you are now. Big Grin

The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
You KNOW it's a rough bunch here...if you weren't aware of that before, you are now. Big Grin

But, butt - argg

Wait, wut? Lol

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
The situation at hand would probably dictate whether I say anything or not. In your case, I think i would've quickly said something.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not a stranger, but I was in a conference room meeting with 20 or so executives and attorneys. The SVP of a major corporation, an attractive woman executive, wearing a white skirt had a fresh blood stain on her skirt. I discretely let her know. She ended up borrowing a skirt from one of the administrative assistants. She was embarrassed, but would have been mortified had she not had the opportunity to deal with the problem before it got worse or more attention.

Posts: 694 | Registered: March 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I would have mentioned it if the opportunity presented itself.

It’s the Jerkwater code of ethics.

Posts: 26905 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
No good deed goes unpunished...
Agreed.

Posts: 27960 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
This is one of those instances where how you say it and the context in which you say it makes or breaks the conversation.

It sounds like the guy cares about his appearance (OP said "well groomed and wearing pressed stone khakis and a tucked polo shirt") so will likely turn the convo from being kind to being an ass if you:
  • try to be cute/funny and use slang or euphemisms
  • say it where other people can overhear

Get the guy off to the side (i.e. no one can overhear) and politely point it out in plain English.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23257 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Eating elephants
    one bite at a time
    Picture of ffips
    posted Hide Post
    As a fyi, it may have been as innocent as chocolate. In the past while partaking in eating while driving, I have had chocolate from a candy bar fall onto the seat and ultimately onto pants seat. Saw it on the truck seat and was horrified that I had an accident without knowing, then oddly relieved when it turned out to be chocolate. Wet wipes to the rescue...

Perhap, "hey, nice shirt, but I notice a stain on your pants." Let the sort out the rest...

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Yeah but you wouldn’t have noticed his Stone wash khakis or fabulous Polo shirt you caveman.

Posts: 3920 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Master-at-Arms
    Picture of apf383
    posted Hide Post
    I wouldn't have said shit.

Foster's, Australian for Bud

Posts: 7508 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post