SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    After market backup camera..
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

After market backup camera.. Login/Join 
Doubtful...
Picture of TomS
posted
Anybody have experience with one?

Best regards,

Tom

I have no comment at this time.

Posts: 3110 | Location: Coker Creek,TN | Registered: April 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've tried the garmin one since I already had the garmin gps. Not very good and to be avoided as an option.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I found a decent camera, same as OEM used by the Ford factory. Camera is not the problem, that's the easy part.

I am trying to figure out a display. There is no navigation display on my dash, it was optional and not equipped on my particular 2010 Ford Edge.

I do not want to replace the radio etc. in the dash.

I thought of a rearview mirror that has an integrated display, problem is the microphones for Ford Sync are in the frame of the OEM mirror; I do not want to lose Sync as I am hearing impaired and just about the only time I have even a chance of understanding a telephone conversation is in the car, using the car's radio amplifier an speakers. I sometimes leave the house or work, go out and sit in the car, if I absolutely have to make a phone call.

I thought about an iPhone app for a rearview display, but the reviews for every one that I have seen, are crap.

If anyone has a good answer for a rearview display, I'd like to know about it.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
I found a decent camera, same as OEM used by the Ford factory. Camera is not the problem, that's the easy part.

I am trying to figure out a display. There is no navigation display on my dash, it was optional and not equipped on my particular 2010 Ford Edge.

I thought of a rearview mirror that has an integrated display, problem is the microphones for Ford Sync are in the frame of the OEM mirror; I do not want to lose Sync as I am hearing impaired and just about the only time I have even a chance of understanding a telephone conversation is in the car, using the car's radio amplifier an speakers. I sometimes leave the house or work, go out and sit in the car, if I absolutely have to make a phone call.

I thought about an iPhone app for a rearview display, but the reviews for every one that I have seen, are crap.

I have seen rear-view mirror display monitors that had either velcro straps or clamps to attach to your existing mirror, so that ought to save your mirror microphone.

There are visor monitors, also. I know there are ones that replace the entire visor, but there might be ones that attach with velcro.

Posts: 5755 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:

Not sure which stereo you have in the Edge, but I have seen a few (our company Expedition included) that display the backup camera in the ~4" stereo display.
Not sure on a 2010 & know you don't want to change the stereo, but on the slightly newer Fords, the stereo from a higher trim is a direct swap & a little software coding away from being an OEM swap.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15314 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After trying three different wireless camera/monitor setups from Amazon, I ordered a wireless Yama system from Advance Auto and am happy with it. Monitor is 4.3” and big enough. Wireless works nicely and BlueTooth phones do not interfere. Very good IR LEDs for night vision.

One of our members installs another brand for his customers but I do not remember his name or the brand...perhaps he will respond.

You've got to know what to do when you don't know what to do.

Posts: 364 | Location: SML-VA | Registered: November 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
I wanted one to hook boat up.
I got a 60.oo one on Amazon.
I ran the wire along the frame with the wire bundle from tail lights. Hooked to R wire at tsil light for power. Easy thing to do.
I came in at a plug that was there by the door panel them under seat & up by console. I can use any monitor that has a pin connection.
That was years ago. Camera is replacable, monitor is replaceable.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Mine

http://www.thinkware.com/Products/Dashcam/F800

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6998 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Not sure which stereo you have in the Edge, but I have seen a few (our company Expedition included) that display the backup camera in the ~4" stereo display.
Nope. No 4" display. No display screen of any type. Very simple, basic radio, just a numerical display, like in the old days, before we had LCD screens. Well, actually sort of a primitive alpha-numeric display, it shows part of the caller's name on incoming caller ID. But it's a single row of characters, the width of the radio, and maybe 3/4" or so, vertically. No graphic display capability at all.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Nope. No 4" display. No display screen of any type. Very simple, basic radio, just a numerical display, like in the old days, before we had LCD screens. Well, actually sort of a primitive alpha-numeric display, it shows part of the caller's name on incoming caller ID. But it's a single row of characters, the width of the radio, and maybe 3/4" or so, vertically. No graphic display capability at all.

He's suggesting you find a different Ford OEM radio from the 2010 line up that has the larger screen, they were available, and have that installed as it will give you the Back up screen capability.

Here is a link to the OEM radio companies offer, it's not inexpensive at $1400 however it does show the model ford offered in your edge had it come with the trim level. It even comes pre programmed to work with your vehicle.

They have an install video, and it lists the features it has including backup camera.

YOu could look to find a used model online from a salvage company, you'd still need to have it installed, programmed to work and hook the camera to it, good thing is your sync and phone features from the wheel will still work.

El Linko

You can specify your year, brand, model and it will show you all the bits available to do the swap and maintain your OEM setup

Posts: 23439 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doubtful...
Picture of TomS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dry-fly:
Mine

how much?

Best regards,

Tom

I have no comment at this time.

Posts: 3110 | Location: Coker Creek,TN | Registered: April 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
quote:
quote:

He's suggesting you find a different Ford OEM radio from the 2010 line up that has the larger screen, they were available, and have that installed as it will give you the Back up screen capability.

Here is a link to the OEM radio companies offer, it's not inexpensive at $1400 however it does show the model ford offered in your edge had it come with the trim level. It even comes pre programmed to work with your vehicle.

They have an install video, and it lists the features it has including backup camera.

YOu could look to find a used model online from a salvage company, you'd still need to have it installed, programmed to work and hook the camera to it, good thing is your sync and phone features from the wheel will still work.
El Linko

You can specify your year, brand, model and it will show you all the bits available to do the swap and maintain your OEM setup

Right, but at $1400 it's considerably higher than the similar swap in a Sync 2 or Sync 3 equipped Ford. I think I've seen those swaps done in the 3-500 range.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15314 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Here’s a link to the place where I bought mine. I got the F & R cameras after a road rager on a motorcycle harassed us for 15min. Red Face

https://www.blackboxmycar.com/...?variant=51687234823

quote:
Originally posted by toms:
quote:
Originally posted by dry-fly:
Mine

how much?

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6998 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
I sell and install these every day. The least expensive way to go is with a standalone monitor, but you have to find a place to put it that it can be seen and doesn't look like crap.

Replacing the mirror is a pretty neat option for a monitor, but the size of the screen and the picture is far from the best in my opinion. At night it's probably fine; during the day in a bright parking lot it is very hard on your eyes to look at that screen with the bright background.

Changing the radio is the best option if you can get over changing the radio. Cost depends on the vehicle and what installation accessories you need, and it is not practical in some vehicles.

In a lot of vehicles that have a nice screen display, but no backup camera, an interface may be available to allow the camera to display on the factory screen.

It is all very vehicle dependent if you want something that is integrated. Feel free to email me with vehicle specifics and I'll be happy to make a recommendation. Let me know if you want to pay someone to do it, or do it yourself.

Posts: 3435 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post