SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone Know about Home Photo Printers
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone Know about Home Photo Printers Login/Join 
posted
The wife has asked for one for Christmas and she's been pretty good this year so I'd like to get her a nice one Big Grin

I know nothing about them but her intended uses are to print pictures to put in frames so standard sizes 5x7 8x10 Etc.

Thanks,

Don

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
Never seen one that prints like the pros use at the photo labs.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8353 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
You want the Canon Pixma Pro.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
And you need to get a hardware color calibrator if you want your pictures to look like they do on the screen. For non pro use, the X-Rite ColorMunki Display should be good.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Canon Pixma Pro

That, plus paper, plus ink is a crapton of printed snapshots. If the hobby is part or the process I can see it, but otherwise isn't a home user almost always going to be better off with pro services?

Who gets prints other than hanging size any more anyway? I though that was what an iPhone and iPad were for, depending on whether you would have printed 3x5 or 8x10? Wink

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12415 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
I gave up on inkjets forever. Seems every time I wanted to print a pic I had to spend ten minutes running head cleaning, and then it was out of a color.
Now I'm using a color laser, and the photo results are pretty deceent, especially if framed.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Are you using a photo paper? Do you mind sharing what kind if you are?

quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:
I gave up on inkjets forever. Seems every time I wanted to print a pic I had to spend ten minutes running head cleaning, and then it was out of a color.
Now I'm using a color laser, and the photo results are pretty deceent, especially if framed.

Posts: 512 | Location: Pearland, Tx | Registered: June 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Many pros print their own enlargements, taking considerable care in the production of their photos from shutter press to framing and matting.

Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
I rarely print photos these days.

Color calibrated screen and printer profiles for the local Costco. Upload my files and get prints up to poster size done in store, same day for much less cost than quality paper and ink.

I used to use White House Custom Color who does good work at reasonable prices, but Costco is 90% or more as good, cheaper, and more convenient with a faster turnaround.

My Canon inkjet printers see very little use these days.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10938 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Aeteocles nailed it. FWIW, my favorite all around photo paper is Canon Photo Paper Plus Glossy II.

Be prepared - the printer is cheap, but the ink is not. For best results, buy original Canon ink. Your best prices for ink and paper by far will be from Amazon and/or B&H. Check both each time, because they can go back and forth quite a bit - sometimes by wide margins. If you buy the consumables at your local office store (without getting a price match, anyway), you’re an idiot.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
Canon has had a lot of deals, bundling printers/paper with cameras ansd lenses. Check Craigslists near you for people selling the printers.

Personally, I use pro labs to print, mostly MPIXPro and Bay Photo. I don't think I'd use a good printer enough.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3397 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
I always liked Canon printers, but I stopped printing my photos at home a long time ago. Down here there's a Walgreens on every corner, and it's easy to upload the photo and pick up the print within a couple of hours. I don't think you can print photos as good at home, certainly not for a reasonable price.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: honestlou,

Posts: 3435 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by UTsig:
Canon has had a lot of deals, bundling printers/paper with cameras ansd lenses. Check Craigslists near you for people selling the printers.

Personally, I use pro labs to print, mostly MPIXPro and Bay Photo. I don't think I'd use a good printer enough.

The Canon Pixma Pro 100 is bundled with cameras for Black Friday, keep checking locally for folks selling printers, usually $100.00, with paper.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3397 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Not a surprise, but avoid Kodak. Turns out they ain't what they used to be.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post