SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Any dads raising girls here?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any dads raising girls here? Login/Join 
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
My daughter is 12. She was born when I was 44 years old. I get routinely misidentified as being her grandfather.

Posts: 7522 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
My daughter is almost fifteen. Her mom and I divorced four years ago. Everytime I take her shopping I get some form of where's mom from strangers. My daughter got tired of me responding to people with who the hell are you so she just responds with mind your own business.

Think she's taking after her dad...

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8013 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am not a single dad, but I have a 3.5 yr old girl that I take out shopping, out to eat, etc. I definitely get the "sweet of you to give mom the day off" and I take that as a compliment. I treasure my "Daddy Daughter Time" as she calls it. Sometimes I really am just giving my wife a break.

I believe the reason we get those comments is because it does seem more rare that a dad is out with his girls. I have never had anyone be rude about it like you experienced, almost seems like they were worried about the girls which is weird. I have even had to take my kid out of target kicking and screaming, but I am sure most parents have experienced that and understand.

Posts: 3118 | Location: Germantown, TN | Registered: June 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My Time is Yours
Picture of davetruong
posted Hide Post
I get that often when I take my kids out, 2 boys and a girl. It's annoying, but my number one reply...she's getting over a hangover. My kids yell at me when I say that though Smile

God, Family, Country.

Posts: 6009 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: October 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by davetruong:
I get that often when I take my kids out, 2 boys and a girl. It's annoying, but my number one reply...she's getting over a hangover. My kids yell at me when I say that though Smile

Good stuff. Smile

We have four, two daughters are the oldest, sons are the younger of the brood. The girls are 21 & 25 now, so I doubt any catty comments would be about where Mom is. Big Grin

<><
America, Land of the Free - because of the Brave

Posts: 1935 | Location: Goodbye, so. Fla. | Registered: January 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdf:

But I immediately noticed when I'd take them shopping for clothes that every, single salesperson has a comment to make about how nice it is for me to "give mom the day off" or how sweet it is for me to "let mom sleep in." The other day a lady took one look and loudly said, "Where's mom?!"

In a loud voice, "Where is mom? She is a scumbag bitch that left me and decided she didn't want to be a mother anymore. So now I raise my kids alone. Any other fucking stupid questions?"

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
It's the myth that men don't parent. They especially don't parent girls. Perhaps that was true at some point in the past, but not anymore.

So, any time parenting is being done by a dad, it's being done to help mom out AND it's being done half-assed, because that's how men do thing, right?

They can't clean, they can't parent, they can't grocery shop, they can't wash cloths, they can't cook, they can't do anything "domestic" very well.

Posts: 17342 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
quote:
The other day a lady took one look and loudly said, "Where's mom?!"

you: "you're looking at him."

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10353 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jtedescucci
posted Hide Post
I keep getting comments like how cute my "grand daughters" are. You should see the shocked looks when I correct them & tell them that these four beauties are my DAUGHTERS, not my grand daughters. (I am approaching 70 while my OLDEST daughter is nine)... And the kids LOVE to play "I spy with my little eye"... and when the color is grey I KNOW that they are probably thinking of my grey hair or mustache. (You folks who haven't adopted just don't know what you're missing!!)

"...we have put together I think the most extensive & inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics." - Joe Biden

Posts: 3043 | Location: AC/Clarksville | Registered: February 13, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Laugh or Die
posted Hide Post
I'd probably give an offended "I'm a single father." just to bump them down a notch. Even if you weren't offended Razz

Posts: 10201 | Location: NC | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
I have two, 11 & 14.
I thought grown women were had to deal with...

But, yeah. I've gotten that before. Usually I just smile & say something like "yeah, been helping full time since she left."

Posts: 6301 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of heisrizn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Browndrake:
Television and other media has been telling our society for years that husbands and fathers need the help and wisdom of not only their wives but also their children. We are a immature, lazy, misguided, irresponsible, and in general, not very intelligent. It is always the strong, intelligent, and hard working wife and mother with the patience of Job that holds everything together.

This^^^

Posts: 1549 | Location: Fayetteville, NC | Registered: April 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's like some weird societal stereotype.

Of course it is a sterotype.

React as suits you on any given day. You could feign outrage. Get all emotional to make them feel bad. Use it to hit on cute chicks. Whatever.

Good on you for taking good care of your children.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Another wise ass comment.

"No, she passed".

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As one who has experienced this, the bond you are making with your daughters is priceless.

Posts: 69 | Location: Northeast, OH | Registered: October 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post