SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Any dads raising girls here?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any dads raising girls here? Login/Join 
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
quote:
Originally posted by PorterN:

But yes. I constantly get comments about me "giving the wife a break."

Yep, for the last (XX) years.

I normally got smiles... times do change it seems.

Maybe for some of them it's their way to find out if you're single? As most fathers with children are more desired by women.

Usually, I just take my daughter to the range and we shoot together. The range is a "No Morons Allowed" zone, so we don't have this sort of issue. Smile My son is 15 and pushing hard on six feet, so I don't hear a lot of crud wherever we go.

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I have two boys, one girl, and take them anywhere I please. I can't remember anyone ever making such comments to me. Is this common in particular parts of the country, or is it happening everywhere? I can't imagine seeing someone spending time with their kids and asking where the spouse was.

Posts: 10940 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Browndrake
posted Hide Post
Television and other media has been telling our society for years that husbands and fathers need the help and wisdom of not only their wives but also their children. We are a immature, lazy, misguided, irresponsible, and in general, not very intelligent. It is always the strong, intelligent, and hard working wife and mother with the patience of Job that holds everything together.

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.
- 1 Corinthians 16:13-14

Posts: 888 | Location: Southwest Michigan | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I haven't gotten the comment, but offhand, I don't think I've taken either (or both) of them clothes shopping. Funny, I don't get that comment when they are with me at Lowes or buying Home brew supplies. Big Grin

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of sdf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Television and other media has been telling our society for years that husbands and fathers need the help and wisdom of not only their wives but also their children. We are a immature, lazy, misguided, irresponsible, and in general, not very intelligent. It is always the strong, intelligent, and hard working wife and mother with the patience of Job that holds everything together.

Yeah. You might be on to something.

Posts: 7139 | Location: Nevada | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diogenes' Quarry
Picture of at-home-daddy
posted Hide Post
<-- I did as my User Name suggests for a good number of years, and had two young daughters (starting when they were six months), so, yes, I've heard some of that, though not as much as this thread might suggest. A few offhand comments -- benign or kind-but-idiotic, never derisive -- but really not too often at all. Probably depends on the area you're in, I suppose...the Seattle area tends to be both culturally liberal and socially frigid...so you don't have many folks coming up to talk to you out the blue, and when they do it's rarely with a socially conservative bent.

Posts: 5088 | Location: Western WA  | Registered: October 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would imagine they are saying it with good intent. Let it be. They don't need to know your personal details, and no need to take offence. Ask yourself, does your (plural) situation really suck, or is it just fine with you and your girls?

There is something good and motherly about Washington, the grand old benevolent National Asylum for the helpless.
- Mark Twain The Gilded Age

#CNNblackmail #CNNmemewar

Posts: 706 | Location: Seacoast in USA | Registered: September 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
Don't let it bother you sdf. You are a man that is handling his business. Good job. Your girls will thank you one day and hopefully gravitate towards men just like you.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5908 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It seemed like a good idea...
Picture of lude4life
posted Hide Post
The one that gets me the most is...

"Oh, babysitting today?"

Uh... Im being a Father. As in every day.

My daughter is 12. Mom skipped town last year. I have her full time. I get this kind of stuff all the time. Try not to let it get to ya, but I do agree its irritating. People have this mindset about who in a family should do what. Fairly ignorant but not much you can do.

Keep up the good work!

-Jay

"Assault is a type of behavior, not a type of hardware." -Alan Korwin

Posts: 2810 | Location: Central Oregon | Registered: November 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Mom" said I could bang hot saleswomen , do you know any ?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54638 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^ lol

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, I have experienced this, but I just brush it off. Most of the ladies that say stuff are just trying to be kind and make conversation. I don't let it bother me at all anymore. I have put my foot in my mouth too many times to get upset with others. Also, sounds like you are a great dad!

Posts: 255 | Registered: February 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
As the sole custodian of a 14 year old grand daughter, all I say that it's a challenge.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While raising my children I sometimes got the feeling that some women thought that I was encroaching on "their" turf.

That's what thick skin is for.

Posts: 1351 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I don't know man I
just got here myself
Picture of mrw
posted Hide Post
My wife baled out on me and our three kids, my girls were in 3rd grade and 7th grade, my son in 8th grade. I got plenty of dirty looks shopping in the girls underware section at Walmart for many years. It was tough at times but it all worked out in the end.

mrw

Hand Made Custom Knives
www.sandownforge.com

Posts: 1737 | Location: Gulf Coast Florida | Registered: June 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got that from time to time. I guess that is the way some people were brought up.

Posts: 6888 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
Thankfully, I do not face the challenges of being a single parent. Knowing how much energy and effort it takes to raise my little girl, and that I get to split that with my wife, makes me in awe of you men who are doing it all on your own. I tip my hat to each of you.

Since Mrs. ShneaSIG and I both work pretty demanding jobs, we both have to do whatever needs doing when it needs doing. Mrs. ShneaSIG travels for work from time to time, so I've got my daughter for those times. She tells me that she'll "hang out with Daddy while Mommy is away." I must confess, though, I can't put a ponytail in her hair worth a dang.

I can't say I've ever had anyone say anything to me, but I have noticed some sideways looks now and again. I've gotten the "babysitting" line a couple times, too. I just smile and borrow Claire's line - "not babysitting, but hanging out with Daddy."

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
I raised two fine girls. Their mother left when the little one was 5, big one 8. Got them thru college. Had some great help from my Mother, and a couple wonderful ladies. Now both are settled, one has 3 kids. The other went on to more school and got MBA. People say I did a great job.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6314 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
Mrs. Redstone and I are raising three girls. Two teens and a 5 year old. I get the soccer mom duty and drive the kids everywhere. I even take them clothes shopping most of the time. I get some comments and but not as many.
What bugs me is the constant "I'm neglecting or mistreating my wife" insinuation crap from strangers or co workers. The wife is at home doing her thing, she hates shopping etc. But some act like I have her chained at home. No, she is doing exactly what she wants too and always has. Why do people feel like they can inject their thoughts on what should be onto others.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3591 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just say that I'm a single dad and my daughter prefers to be with me. Shuts them up and often gets me a wink.

For ME:
DA/SA= Sig 9mm
Striker fired= Glock 9mm
If it's a .45= 1911
Suppressed= HK in .45
I like anything in 10mm

Posts: 1442 | Location: VA | Registered: July 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post