SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Any dads raising girls here?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any dads raising girls here? Login/Join 
"Member"
Picture of sdf
posted
About 5 years back my ex wife decided that she not only didn't really want to be married, but that she wasn't much interested in being a mother either. So she left. Obviously time spent on this forum has dwindled since. Smile

At the time, my girls were about 5 and 6 years old. Now they are obviously a bit older and we've settled into a nice groove as to how to get by. In many ways things are actually much better than before.

But I immediately noticed when I'd take them shopping for clothes that every, single salesperson has a comment to make about how nice it is for me to "give mom the day off" or how sweet it is for me to "let mom sleep in." The other day a lady took one look and loudly said, "Where's mom?!"

Have any of you EVER experienced this? I'm starting to wonder why this is. I took them shopping when I was married and never had this issue. It's like some weird societal stereotype.

Posts: 7139 | Location: Nevada | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
My daughter is only 15 months old, but yes, I've already experienced it. In particular, I go food shopping with my daughter late in the afternoon after my wife goes to work usually and will get comments like that constantly.

But then I also get tons of smiles from lots of women. Smile

Then again, maybe they're just smiling at my cute daughter... Confused

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30407 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
I don't get that "treatment" much to be honest, but it would piss me off if it did. Our 6yo girl is with me a lot of the time since I work from home...I'm pretty much Mr.Mom during the week while my wife works. People are stupid, don't let it get to you.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6998 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I actually got a comment today in target. My wife and daughter were looking at toys and I brought my 18 month old son with me to get juice and look around the clearance section.
A couple around my age with a son said to each other "see he can take his son by himself" the woman said to me after "it's nice to see you take your kid out without mom".
I kinda laughed and said "my wife and daughter are over there".

It does happen fairly regularly when I am with one of the 2 kids or even both. My standard reply is something along the lines of "well I am their father I am equipped to care for my children"

Posts: 1608 | Registered: March 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doubtful...
Picture of TomS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:

Then again, maybe they're just smiling at my cute daughter... Confused

Yes, they are. Wink

Best regards,

Tom

I have no comment at this time.

Posts: 3110 | Location: Coker Creek,TN | Registered: April 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of sdf
posted Hide Post
I would be lying if I said it doesn't get to me. This is odd because I'm generally painfully calm.

But some people are sooooo rude about it. The lady who loudly asked, "Where's mom?" got a response of "Not here." To which she responded, "But where IS she??"

THAT stopped me dead in my tracks and I turned around. My oldest daughter knew damn well what was about to happen and said, "she's working." And she tugged on me to keep me moving.

I'm just shocked by how stupid some people can be. Screw it.

Posts: 7139 | Location: Nevada | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
I have 21yo and 20yo daughters and i have never been asked such a question. And they both love to shoot Smile

Posts: 1772 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Take one of those internet coupons and for ten bucks print up some business card sized notes to hand to these dolts who revel in their ignorance, then immediately walk away.

My daughters' mother abandoned them
as little girls and I have raised
them myself. Please take this
moment to reflect on your intrusive,
stereotypical behaviour and next time
think before you speak uninvited.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have two daughters. The women that make these comments have THEIR ISSUES, that they are projecting onto you. Ignoring this sort of thing is best. Smile and move on. Some people cannot simply mind their own business.

Posts: 17231 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of sdf
posted Hide Post
ChuckFinley-

Good thinking.

posted Hide Post
Yep. I have custody of my teenage daughter (17) and have had this happen too. I just smile and brush it off.
Some people are just to stupid to respond to.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
Dad of 23-year old and 9-year old daughters. I've gotten those comments too.

Good response is "bless your heart". Or, "I'm doing my best to raise them to not be nosy bitches..."

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of sdf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Good response is "bless your heart". Or, "I'm doing my best to raise them to not be nosy bitches..."

My GF is from SC. As I understand it "Bless your heart" is another way of calling someone an idiot.

West coast people don't get that. Big Grin

A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
BTDT with an 11 month old.

"Mr. Mom"

Let such things go. Strangers neither care nor will have much concern for what your dealing with. And you likely will never encountervthem again. So why worry over it?

Focus on the best things for your girls.

That investment will payout huge returns.

Daughter is 31 and I have 3 beautiful grandchildren. 6-11.

No regrets.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43876 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Not just for Dads of girls.
I posted about this awhile back in the what's your deal section.
I frequently take my boys out shopping or to the park without my wife when she is at the gym or doing other things.

I constantly get the ohh look Dad is babysitting comments.
I generally keep my cool pretty well with folks stupid comments. Though these comments burn me up and I am usually quite short in letting the know I am not babysitting for mom, I am being their freaking father!!!!!

It tends to be older females that make the comments so maybe something to do with old societal norms but still burns me up.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25418 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Tell them you are their mom and then see if they continue to ask questions.

Posts: 9501 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
I love taking my kids to Chick Fil A, Cabelas, Walmart, Target, etc. All together, one on one, whatever it is. Its quality time with my kids and i look forward to it.

But yes. I constantly get comments about me "giving the wife a break."

It bothered me for quite a while too. I shake it off now. It annoys me that its apparently weird for dads to spend time with their kids.or, if not weird, people act like its a chore that i should bemoan if not hate doing.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Deplorable_Dixie
posted Hide Post
This is a sure fire way to set me over the edge. As a daughter who was raised by her father (because Mom decided she didn't want to raise her two children anymore and drugs are more fun), i can't tell you how many uncomfortable encounters I've had. When I won an award at work, everyone asked me "are you goin to call your mom"... And I responded, "no but I'm going to tell my dad." Which should have been a subtle hint, but instead they keep asking but what about your mom?!? Until your forced to tell them you haven't talked to said person in a decade and to stfu. Not to mention the relative strangers that try to tell me my life will never be right without my mother.

Thank God for all you fathers out there. Whether or not the mother is still in the picture, you are just as important. And to the OP, special thanks to you. Daughters are tough Smile

Posts: 59 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 11, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tell them that she's with a John (or customer) from craigslist, she skipped out on us x years ago. LOL

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PorterN:

But yes. I constantly get comments about me "giving the wife a break."

Yep, for the last (XX) years.

I normally got smiles... times do change it seems.

Maybe for some of them it's their way to find out if you're single? As most fathers with children are more desired by women.

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post