SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Landscaping question about boring a hole into railroad tie?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Landscaping question about boring a hole into railroad tie? Login/Join 
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:
After many years I am redoing my front planter boxes in stone.

If you are using stone, why do you still have railroad ties? Confused

Stone instead of mulch, I would like to redo them in block but don't have the skill/knowledge

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3685 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
If you have your heart set on a 4" hole use a post hole digger to dig right in front of the wall and dig under the front of the box for the outlet. You can get a slotted 4" cover at Lowe's or HD. The exit hole you dig as much as you can then let a hose do the rest from both directions.

It will exit in a bit of a different place but you will have the diameter drain you want.

As for as knowledge to lay stone, they make a stackable stone (several brands out there) that you use a caulk gun dispensed adhesive to hold together. Most of the companies have an online calculator to tell you how much you will need of the stone and the adhesive.

Mark

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Would a "Remington drill press" work? You know, the kind with 12GA "bits"? It would have to be done safely, like taking the RR tie to an open range.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16268 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
Would a "Remington drill press" work? You know, the kind with 12GA "bits"? It would have to be done safely, like taking the RR tie to an open range.

Naw, belt fed is the proper way to go here.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20758 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sreding:
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
That said, if you have your heart set on a 4" hole, I would use a chain saw and plunge cut a square hole.

For a hole that size this is really the only practical solution. A hole saw will quickly gum up as you heat it if those are actual RR ties.

Also keep in mind that unless you back dig behind the hole, whatever you use to make it will be shot after the first hole and hitting dirt.

Those sure don't look like any RR ties I've ever seen. Look like just pressure treated landscape lumber to me.

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Just notch it in. Skilsaw, hand saw, chainsaw. Saw in 4 inches, bust out the piece. Whatever you have handy. Add a little mortar around the pipe to fill any gap.Sort of like this. But won't be as pretty as a fitting hole.
https://youtu.be/YPbpV0wiZzE

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4118 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Valpo Fz:
quote:
quote:

Stone instead of mulch, I would like to redo them in block but don't have the skill/knowledge

It is actually quite easy. Once the bottom row is level it is cake.
If I can do it anyone can.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25357 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX: It is actually quite easy. Once the bottom row is level it is cake.

Did you first pour a concrete base to keep the blocks level? I'm considering the same thing in my yard. (OP, sorry for the thread drift.)

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2540 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tailhook 84:
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX: It is actually quite easy. Once the bottom row is level it is cake.

Did you first pour a concrete base to keep the blocks level? I'm considering the same thing in my yard. (OP, sorry for the thread drift.)

You dig out starting at your lowest point use a tamper to get the ground firm and put down what is called paver base. Kind of a fine gravel that helps seat the bottom row of block. Once that bottom row is level the rest above are level.

I was surprised at how easy it actually is. I had never done one before and am quite happy with how it turned out. Certainly not perfect but turned out quite nice.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25357 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
Wow, that does look nice, 92LX! Appreciate the pics, and it does looks fairly easy. Not sure though how Mrs. 'Hook is going to like digging out the ground and working the tamper. Wink

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2540 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
Just notch it in. Skilsaw, hand saw, chainsaw. Saw in 4 inches, bust out the piece. Whatever you have handy. Add a little mortar around the pipe to fill any gap.Sort of like this. But won't be as pretty as a fitting hole.
https://youtu.be/YPbpV0wiZzE

This!

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you really want a 4" hole, you can do it with a Milwaukee 48-25-4125 Selfeed Bit 4-1/8 in.
http://www.greatlakespowertool...KgZeQwg7gBoCazTw_wcB

But you better have one helleva good drill (Hole Hawg) to turn it!
http://www.northerntool.com/sh...1ZiI9GxOwhoC19jw_wcB

Here's their new improved hole saw 4 1/4". You will have to stop and remove the center every so often.
https://www.milwaukeetool.com/.../drilling/49-56-9045

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
After looking at them I do not think they are railroad ties but landscaping logs as the are square not rectangular like RR ties and they
seem softer.

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3685 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
If you really want a 4" hole, you can do it with a Milwaukee 48-25-4125 Selfeed Bit 4-1/8 in.
http://www.greatlakespowertool...KgZeQwg7gBoCazTw_wcB

But you better have one helleva good drill (Hole Hawg) to turn it!
http://www.northerntool.com/sh...1ZiI9GxOwhoC19jw_wcB

Here's their new improved hole saw 4 1/4". You will have to stop and remove the center every so often.
https://www.milwaukeetool.com/.../drilling/49-56-9045

Finally, the correct answer. Side handle, 110v drill and low RPM. Be careful not to break your wrist. I would think a 2" PVC would be plenty to drain that and a much cheaper Sel-feed bit.

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act

Posts: 3435 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

It's not that hard. Like playing Lego's only heavier. Wink
Several people here could give advice, and there's U-Tube. I've used versa-lok but there are several manufacturers models available.

I'm ripping out more railroad ties now... they don't last.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23949 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
quote:
I plan on putting a 4 inch drain pipe in.

With what?

Drilling much more than a 1" hole is going to be a pain in the ballsteins, primarily from a tool perspective. Hole saws that big aren't deep enough. Most auger bits that are long enough aren't big enough. Most consumer drills aren't made with that in mind.

I suppose a bunch of 1" holes and a bunch of work with a keyhole type saw would work, but be a lot of work.
Could he drill with the hole saw until it bottoms out, remove the saw and chisel out the plug, then re-insert the saw and do it again, repeating as necessary?

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:
Be careful not to break your wrist.

If they are RR ties. Get ready to hang the hell on. Go rent a BIG drill from a big box store. I did about 30 holes one day for a retention wall. Needed to drive rebar through them. Broke 3 bits.

When that drill catches. It'll take you for a ride.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8838 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It took me 2 hours to drill 12 half inch holes through 4 different crossties - 3 each. They are difficult to say the least...

Posts: 868 | Location: Alabama | Registered: January 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
It's done! I rented a 1/2 heavy duty drill, bought a 4 1/4 wood bit and and hour of drilling it's done for a total cost of $47.

YAT-YAS

posted Hide Post
just curious , did you put screen on the other side to prevent the back fill from pouring out the holes , when it rains?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54504 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post