SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Landscaping question about boring a hole into railroad tie?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Landscaping question about boring a hole into railroad tie? Login/Join 
in the end karma
always catches up
posted
After many years I am redoing my front planter boxes in stone. I have a spot that always gather water and I want t o put in a drain and have it exit out through a rail road tie, how to a cut a whole in it? DO I need a special tool? I have a drill and saws all. I plan on having the drain exit where the circular dark spot is on the rail road tie.

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3693 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You might consider putting some type of pipe (PVC, metal, etc.) through the hole with a grommet or other seal on the inside to reduce any degradation in the future.

Posts: 2771 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
doing my front planter boxes in stone. I have a spot that always gather water and I want t o put in a drain and have it exit out through a rail road tie, how to a cut a whole in it? DO I need a special tool? I have a drill and saws all. I plan on having the drain exit where the circular dark spot is on the rail road tie.

hole saw?

http://www.homedepot.com/b/Too...N-5yc1vZc9cmZ1z0sjde

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Probably a extended length paddle or auger bit. Whole saw won't go through before bottoming out, you would have to take a hammer and pry bar to break it out and pieces as you go.

Posts: 2489 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: July 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
An auger style drill bit would do it. I would look for a bit that has a cut size equal to some common pipe diameter so you can sleeve the drain as mentioned above. It might look cool to sleeve it with a piece of brass or copper pipe.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
4-H Shooting
Sports Instructor
Picture of Zecpull
posted Hide Post
A one inch hole will drain a LOT of water, you can get a 1 inch speed bit at most hardware stores. And I think a 3/4 Pvc will slide inside it.

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but
> because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Life member
NRA Pistol instructor...and Range Safety instructor
Women On Target Instructor.

Posts: 9071 | Location: Wooster,Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
is there any set back to those ties?

the thing you are trying to bore is called a weep hole.

check with the local tool rental place , they might rent you the bit that you need for $7.00 for the day.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54637 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
If your railroad ties are fairly old, there's a good chance they're soaked in creosote, a toxic preservative that's been used in ties for a century. If that's the case, it's a good idea to seal the space between the PVC drain and the hole in the railroad tie you made. If you don't, the toxins fron the freshly-drilled hole can leach out.

Posts: 4498 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
Go to Harbor Freight and buy a cheap, long auger bit. I think the one I used was something like 18" long.

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I used a long auger bit to drill holes in railroad ties to build my retaining wall. After drilling, I pounded in 1/2" rebar.

That was a shitty week.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17277 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
I plan on putting a 4 inch drain pipe in.

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3693 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
If that tie is any good at all you will have a pretty decent project trying to drill a 4" hole through it.

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
After many years I am redoing my front planter boxes in stone.

If you are using stone, why do you still have railroad ties? Confused

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24115 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Valpo Fz:
I plan on putting a 4 inch drain pipe in.

With what?

Drilling much more than a 1" hole is going to be a pain in the ballsteins, primarily from a tool perspective. Hole saws that big aren't deep enough. Most auger bits that are long enough aren't big enough. Most consumer drills aren't made with that in mind.

I suppose a bunch of 1" holes and a bunch of work with a keyhole type saw would work, but be a lot of work.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Retired, laying back
and enjoying life
Picture of low8option
posted Hide Post
Built a couple retaining walls and am now building a 100x7ft backstop for my range out of crossties. For most of the time I used a 18V drill and a 12" augur bit. Found it works easier on larger holes to drill a 1/4" or 3/8" pilot hole first. If you drill the pilot hole first then you can use a paddle drill fairly easy plus they are easier to find in larger sizes. As mentioned earlier these old ties contain creosote and if you are not familiar with it then read up on it as stuff can cause problems such as skin irritations. Since this a one time project the advise to go to Harbor Freight is a good one since the creosote basically dulls and ruins the bit for anything else and these babies ain't cheap.

Went back and re-read the part about the 4" pipe. You will not need that large of a drain. If you do not think a 1" will do the trick move over a few feet and put in another 1" and so on until you have enough. Go look at some professionally built retaining walls and look at the seep holes. Their purpose is to prevent water pressure building up behind the wall.

Freedom comes from the will of man. In America it is guaranteed by the 2nd Amendment

Posts: 878 | Location: Northern Alabama | Registered: June 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
I agree with the others on the multiple smaller holes.

That said, if you have your heart set on a 4" hole, I would use a chain saw and plunge cut a square hole.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15717 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Zecpull:
A one inch hole will drain a LOT of water, you can get a 1 inch speed bit at most hardware stores. And I think a 3/4 Pvc will slide inside it.

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Posts: 22410 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
That said, if you have your heart set on a 4" hole, I would use a chain saw and plunge cut a square hole.

For a hole that size this is really the only practical solution. A hole saw will quickly gum up as you heat it if those are actual RR ties.

Also keep in mind that unless you back dig behind the hole, whatever you use to make it will be shot after the first hole and hitting dirt.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
--Adam Savage, MythBusters

Posts: 1748 | Location: Red Wing, MN | Registered: January 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
4" is completely nuts. 1.5" spade bit with 6" extension is all you need. You will also need to drill dig out the other side of the hole and fill with #57 gravel or similar to allow it to drain as well as keeping dirt from plugging it. As others have said if you are concerned for some reason 1.5" won't be enough drill 2 or 3. Just make sure that you put the gravel on the other side at each hole or mud will clog it very quickly. A PVC sleeve through the hole is also a good idea as well.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20821 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
OK well now I am going to have to change plans. I was going to put a drain in attached to a 4 inch slated pipe.

YAT-YAS