SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Hiawatha, Ia p.d. implementing weapon mounted cams
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hiawatha, Ia p.d. implementing weapon mounted cams Login/Join 
posted
https://www.kcrg.com/content/n...meras-561585171.html

https://www.youtube.com/channe...PB-efhYOx9kg6_NJX-Bw

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54637 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
Not sure how I feel about that....

Posts: 1772 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I've wanted a weapon mounted video camera for years.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29696 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I think it is a great idea, once one accepts that cameras are expected everywhere.

Sometimes shit goes south real quick, and no other cameras are activated. BTDT. Would have been glad to have one of these. I expect they will become common eventually.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure I like the light coming on automatically.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Not only the light coming on but should not the camera be pointed in a safe direction until the last possible moment? So, you are going to have cops pointing this lighted camera all over the place?

I'm sure many of you will blast me, but I don't think a light should be on a gun let alone a camera.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
It's not a new concept, it has been a topic of discussion since the 70's at least but the technology was not small enough or reliable enough until recently. Some Tasers already have cameras. The idea of course is to document the few seconds just before the weapon is fired. I foresee that kind of video clip will lend itself to multiple interpretations. This will not in a practical sense replace body cams and dash cams that should in theory record the whole story.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
There are just so many critical details missed by attention, memory and focus. Questions and circumstances change as investigations proceed and accusations and defenses created. In my business I have been saved by what the camera recorded but no one noticed until the question arose.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29696 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:

..... I don't think a light should be on a gun let alone a camera.

I strongly disagree with you. In a home defense situation, In darkness, when something goes thump in the night, a WML is useful for determining "friend or foe" in those last few seconds where it counts.

You may want to consult with some of the other experts on this board before you discount the WML.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10924 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
quote:

..... I don't think a light should be on a gun let alone a camera.

I strongly disagree with you. In a home defense situation, In darkness, when something goes thump in the night, a WML is useful for determining "friend or foe" in those last few seconds where it counts.

You may want to consult with some of the other experts on this board before you discount the WML.

My ‘bump in the night’ flashlight just happens to have a pistol attached to it. In order to perform IFF duties, the light, and therefore the gun, don’t have to be pointed directly at the object/organism that is being identified.
Plus, a light/gun combo leaves a hand free for other duties, opening doors, flipping light switches, holding a phone, petting the dog that alerted you in the first place....
If the “never point at what you don’t want to destroy” rule is a hangup, Bear in mind you should also be utilizing the “keep your finger off the trigger til ready to fire” rule WHILE you are determining the “be sure of your target and what is behind it” rule.
But it does come down to opinion, preference, and ‘druthers.

Sorry for the thread drift...
I couldn’t find a video of what the footage looks like with movement, smoke and recoil. But it will offer a better view, IMO, of the situation right up to rounds being fired. Could very well be a boon for LEO.

Posts: 6304 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
quote:
but I don't think a light should be on a gun let alone a camera.

You don’t need to point the flashlight directly at the object to illuminate it sufficiently enough to see what it is, the pistol can still be held at a low ready position, available to be brought up to aim, if need be.

Posts: 12180 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
That sounds like a horrible idea, and would rule out a good WML. Why not a pressure switch attached/built into the holster that would activate a chest cam when the holster is empty?

Posts: 9963 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not only the light coming on but should not the camera be pointed in a safe direction until the last possible moment? So, you are going to have cops pointing this lighted camera all over the place?

Theoretically yes, but not in practice.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
quote:

Theoretically yes, but not in practice.

Youtube is awash with videos of pistols being pointed at suspects for long periods of time before the situation resolves itself, one way or another.

Posts: 6304 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
The basic idea is a good one, but two things I’d object to:

First and worst is the light’s coming on automatically when the gun is drawn. There are countless conceivable situations in which I would want gun drawn, but without advertising my location and possibly lighting up partners at that moment. (No, “lighting up” doesn’t mean pointing the gun at them and shining the beam directly on them.)

Second is how good/bad is the light? I’m picky about such things and it’s unlikely to suit my preference exactly.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Cameras never seem to work out for those who demand them the most.

Not a single media narrative has been changed by video.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
Didn't Wolfenstein have a Kill Cam?

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4618 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I have absolutely no problem with a camera that activates as the gun is drawn. Like body mounted cameras, they have done way more to exonerate officers, despite the lefts insistence that the police were acting recklessly, acting racist, or being heavy handed in use of force. If Darren Wilson had had a camera on his weapon, Ferguson might have turned out very differently.

As to the light, it should no more self activate than a belt mounted light should when drawn. There are a lot of times an officer will draw and not want to give away their position. The light function needs to be able to be deactivated before I'll agree it's a good idea.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15576 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Video only captures some of what goes on. Again a techinical solution proposed to a complex human problem. I will be interested when the technology is developed to measure human intent. I doubt that will ever happen.

In my opinion it is a clumsy approach to change the narrative of what actually happened. As JJones points out it does not seem to work out well for those pushing hard to adopt these solutions.

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by gearhounds:
If Darren Wilson had had a camera on his weapon, Ferguson might have turned out very differently./QUOTE]

No it wouldn't have. Police Shooting investigations have drastically changed since then. The protocol then was to do an investigation, not release any information UNTIL the investigation was done. As soon as "hands up, don't shoot" went viral, nothing including releasing any body cam could have stopped that. The BLM crowd started with the Zimmerman shooting and they were looking for the just right perfect storm to get their agenda across. As recent incidents show, they will deny the body cam shows the entire incident or it has been edited.

The protocol now is as soon as the shot suspect is identified, the computer nerds do social media searches (face book etc), make copies of what they posted and get search warrants to the relative companies to maintain evidence. Now there are briefings to TRY and stay ahead of the false narratives put out. A recent Officer Involved Shooting, they put out the suspect was shot three times from the front yet the next day, protestors were still telling the media that the "victim" was shot six times int he back and the last shoot was to his head as he laid on the ground. Some of the media did not question their statement, did not even include the official statement that suspect was shot three times in front in their "news" story.

Like Biden said, facts don't matter as long as they have the "truth" on their side.

Posts: 3935 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post