SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Increasing stamina
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Increasing stamina Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Unless that "walk to the car" was at least a few thousand feet and/or uphill and/or it was more carrying him than walking him: ISTM a young man of only 50 years should not have been winded.

I guess I did neglect to mention that dad was nearing 400 lbs and was sharing maybe 10% of the load in his weakened state?

Yeah, you did Smile

Nonetheless: Unless you want to end up like your dad in twenty years I suggest you best get to work.

There are no quick and easy fixes. Good fitness and good health require investments in time, effort and, yes, a bit of money.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
... Nonetheless: Unless you want to end up like your dad in twenty years I suggest you best get to work.
Thankfully, I'm no where near the path he took?
quote:
There are no quick and easy fixes. Good fitness and good health require investments in time, effort and, yes, a bit of money.
So, no pills that make me have huge pecs and tight abs? This is 2018, dangit!

What in gathering is there's no point in pinpointing stamina. Just go for general fitness and it'll catch up to the rest.

Posts: 45330 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
... Nonetheless: Unless you want to end up like your dad in twenty years I suggest you best get to work.
Thankfully, I'm no where near the path he took?

Good!

quote:
quote:

So, no pills that make me have huge pecs and tight abs? This is 2018, dangit!

I know you meant that humorously, but I'm not talking about getting ripped. I'm talking about just being fit. You don't need to be doing 300 lb. one-rep chest presses or squatting 500 lbs. to be fit.

One of the owner/trainers where I work out one day said "How old are you?" Told him. "You're unusual," he replied. "Almost a freak, really." "But in a good way," he hastened to add. Turns out I'm in well above-average fitness for an American my age. I didn't understand just what he meant... until I saw the Silver Sneakers crowd arrive for their classes one day.

I'm not trying to get ripped. I'm just trying to slow down the ravages of aging. I'm not doing a lot of weight. Lessee shoulders, back and biceps, yesterday. Everything two sets of twelve reps each. Dumbbell vertical presses: 60 lbs. Rows (machine): 55 lbs. Lat raise (mach): 25 lbs. Lat pull-downs (mach): forty lbs. Reverse fly (cable mach): 22 lbs. Barbell curls: 55 lbs. Reverse curls: 45 lbs. Back extensions: 40 lbs.

Oh yeah: Threw in bonus incline dumbbell chest presses: 70 lbs. (Chest, triceps and core is a separate day.)

quote:
What in gathering is there's no point in pinpointing stamina. Just go for general fitness and it'll catch up to the rest.

stamina n. Physical ... strength to resist or withstand ... fatigue, ...; endurance.

See my earlier comment: A rounded fitness program requires weight training, cardio and stretching.

If you do yoga-style stretching you can get a twofer: Stretching and meditation/relaxation in one go Smile

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the post mark123. Lots of smart people here that have found what works for them. We are all an n=1 clinical trial experimenting through trial and error. While the keto diet recently received a last place among diets (probably for sustainability), nutritional ketosis for the short term can often mitigate metabolic related symptoms (except type 1 diabetic of course). More of a long term lifestyle would the a LCHF (low carb healthy fat) diet individualized for your own tolerances. Everyone is different and we have different levels of insulin sensitivity. This master hormone is responsible for many of the metabolic disorders in society and reducing insulin resistance can have side effects like increased stamina. Good luck and a healthy 2018.

Posts: 3484 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you are going to incorporate strength conditioning (which you should), don't get caught up with overly complicated routines and equipment. A rack of dumbells at your local gym is all you need to get started. (or kettle bells if you prefer).

Other than warm ups/cooldowns, keep your cardiovascular workouts isolated from your strength workouts. (different day)

Eating the right stuff in the right amounts and frequencies is also critical. Find good foods that you enjoy eating and keep the shelves stocked.

Good luck.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PD:
For those who hate weight training, loss of bone and muscle mass is part of the aging process. Weights will not only halt that process but will even reverse it. The older you get the more important weight training becomes to maintaining health.

Not entirely true. Resistance exercises, including weights and calisthenics, can maintain and increase muscle and bone mass.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
quote:
I really can't afford the tests a doctor would prescribe. Perhaps I've simply overstated my concerns.

You can get a full blood test for $269.

http://www.lifeextension.com/V...ale-Panel-Blood-Test

Very extensive test and you can call them up after you get the results back and discuss anything that is out of line. Here is an example:

http://www.lifeextension.com/p...mples/Male_Panel.pdf
I can surely afford that. Thanks for the tip. Bonus: there are two labs in my city.

They have the blood test on sale in the June time frame for $199. If you walked into Lab Corp without insurance, etc., the cost would be $1201 as quoted to me when I was there last year.

It is good to have a base line of your blood for future reference and one of the big factors for long life. High iron levels are very detrimental to your health and can be caused by eating a lot of red meat and cooking out of iron frying pans. You can reduce the iron level by donating blood.

Another factor to watch is your homocysteine level which damages your arteries walls and leads to plaque buildup.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I'm of the opinion, if at all possible, to have your doctor order, review and make recommendations of the results your blood test.

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryarnaud:
quote:
Originally posted by PD:
For those who hate weight training, loss of bone and muscle mass is part of the aging process. Weights will not only halt that process but will even reverse it. The older you get the more important weight training becomes to maintaining health.

Not entirely true. Resistance exercises, including weights and calisthenics, can maintain and increase muscle and bone mass.

Uhm... y'all are both saying the same thing Smile

eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
All weight training is a resistance exercise, not all resistance exercise is weight training.

The key to improving bone density is loading. 5 lb dumbbell presses, or standing wall chest presses may not be enough loading to improve bone density.

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by henryarnaud:
quote:
Originally posted by PD:

Uhm... y'all are both saying the same thing Smile

"Weights" refer to lifting dumbbells, barbells, etc. "Calisthenics" refer to bodyweight exercises, like push-ups, pull-ups, etc. Both increase bone density.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
Haven’t heard the term calisthenics used in a long time but if a middle aged man can make a workout of pull-ups and push-ups he will be using his own weight to accomplish the same goals.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:
Whatever happened to that Enzyte guy?

I saw what you did here. Big Grin

Posts: 13668 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PD:
Haven’t heard the term calisthenics used in a long time but if a middle aged man can make a workout of pull-ups and push-ups he will be using his own weight to accomplish the same goals.

Ok. It looks like we're in agreement, then. I still see the term "calisthenics" used quite often when referring to bodyweight exercises, and it read like you said such exercises wouldn't work.

Picture of gatopescado
posted Hide Post
All the advice is really good:
1. get a checkup
2. eat a little cleaner/more healthy
3. exercise regularly /try to get in a routine.

I really like to swim. It's low impact and one hell of a workout.

Posts: 994 | Location: South Texas | Registered: August 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post