SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Increasing stamina
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Increasing stamina Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Assuming your medical/nutritional needs are met as others have mentioned, what's worked for me is interval training. I don't like weight training, but I do bodyweight calisthenics in a circuit format. For example, I might do 1 set each of push-ups, sit-ups, pull-ups, and squats, with as little rest as possible between sets, then take a short break and repeat the sequence two more times. You can get a pretty good, heart-rate-raising workout in a relatively short amount of time. The same concept can be applied to weight training, btw.

I've also done interval sprints and hill sprints. With interval sprints you alternate between all-out sprints and light jogging. With hill sprints you sprint up a moderately steep hill (or stairs if your feet are better coordinated than mine), walk back down to your starting point, and repeat as desired. 20 minutes of interval or hill sprints and I'm spent.

Another good workout is to incorporate calisthenics into your runs (if you run). For example, every half-mile drop and do a set of push-ups. You could probably do something similar on a treadmill.

Final note: Also make sure to get adequate rest and hydration.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The good news is that you can add up to 3 years to your life with exercise. The bad news is that if you spend an hour a day working out from age 20-70 you will spend 2 of the 3 years exercising. Razz

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
The good news is that you can add up to 3 years to your life with exercise. The bad news is that if you spend an hour a day working out from age 20-70 you will spend 2 of the 3 years exercising. Razz
Hey, I could have a long but completely unenjoyable life. Right? Razz

Posts: 45330 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
I'll suggest a doctor visit for a physical first of all. You need his/her opinion of your general physical condition and then a plan to a better and safe life.

Best wishes to you.

Please pay attention to this recommendation. Mu older brother was a lifelong runner and sometime around 2008-2009 he started walking instead of running because he didn't have the stamina. Never told his doctor aobut this in spite of his wife bugging him to the point of giant arguments. He died in 2011 at the age of 59 due to a blocked coronary artery. All it would have taken to prevent this was a basic 12 lead stress test, which any decent doctor would have insisted on if he heard that someone who used to run 3 or more miles a day no longer had the stamina to run.

There are a LOT of "silent killers" out there that actually give you plenty of warning if you pay attention. You have had a warning, now the ball is in your court.

BTW, I miss my brother every damned day, he was my best friend, a great mentor, and an all around great human being.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5621 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:

What's the way to longer stamina?

Set lower expectations. That way, when you meet your goals, you're like, "Wow, great! I got it all done. Maybe I'll push on a little more".

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:

As a youth, I avoided exercise as much as possible, hated any kind of deliberate exercise.

In my mid-30’s, a very skinny cigaretter smoker, I felt a need to improve my health, and consulted my brother in law, a founder of triathloning, a SEAL officer. He got me running, a very little, and it was no fun at first. As I went on, it became less and less an ordeal, more and more doable. I quit smoking to spend the money on swimming at the Y. Gradually, gradually, I began to not dread workouts, even look forward to them. After a year or so, I realized these activities were actually fun, and competing in the races were a great deal of fun, despite the fact that I never came close to winning. I survived them, and gradually did better. I got to where I made the guy who won our age group nervous, and looked forward to well organized events, up to half Ironman lengths. Swimming was particularly fun, especially ocean swimming.

You may suffer at first, but as you go along, it’ll become fun.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
I really can't afford the tests a doctor would prescribe. Perhaps I've simply overstated my concerns.

Posts: 45330 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lugerguards
posted Hide Post
quote:
I really can't afford the tests a doctor would prescribe. Perhaps I've simply overstated my concerns.

Keep a eye on the local hospitals, the ones by me routinely run free blood/medical exams.

Nothing here to see!

Posts: 1865 | Location: Will County, Illinois | Registered: October 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:

It doesn't have to be much more than an annual physical* would entail - and insurance will pay the bulk of it.
Blood draw, physical exam, chest x-ray (if there isn't a recent one) and a 12 lead ECG should do it. See if they can throw in a rudimentary pulmonary function test. (FEV1)

You can get caught up with folks that hunt for zebras in picket fences and want to run every test known to science.
That can *really* run up the costs. You just need to get a check to see if working out is going to kill you.
That isn't very expensive and as lugerguards noted, they run deals all the time.

*You get a physical anyway right? (that answer should be Yes)

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3771 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
silence is acceptance
Picture of birddog1
posted Hide Post
I was in the same boat a couple years ago. I’m 52 now and feel better than I have in years. It started with weight loss, I dropped 63 lbs doing weigh watchers. Then I started cycling, which I love. Low impact on the knees but I can push myself as much as I want or take it easy and enjoy the ride. Either way, you’re still giving your heart a workout. Even in the winter, I have an indoor bike trainer. Not as much fun but still works. In warmer weather I also run steps at the McKinley monument in Canton. As others have said though, check with your doctor firs

Posts: 2336 | Location: Massillon, OH | Registered: January 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lots of good advice, I'm a fan of P90x and TRX when I'm on the road.
In short, embracing a more active lifestyle and a diet that supports it, is a big part to maintaining health and wellness. Running (road/tr), cycling (road/mtn), swimming, surfing, kite-surfing, skiing (downhill or, Nordic) any of these activities that require a commitment of an hour or, two a day, at least 4-5 times a week. Find a group or, get a friend involved and you'll feed-off of each other not to mention you'll support each other when one starts making excuses or, not wanting to get after it.

Posts: 14571 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
FWIW, I was told by my Y trainer that lifting weights is the only way to maintain/improve bone density. This is a VITAL thing. I hope this is correct info.

We're not getting any younger.

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
quote:

Mark, because you and I have more in common than you might know, I find myself compelled to give a damn about posting here in this thread.

For example, your statement above - I get it. Unfortunately what it really means is that for some reason you just don't want to know right now.

But that is exactly why you need to find a way to get precise medical information. Sell something, do something half illegal and don't get caught, whatever. Just find a way.

Posts: 7486 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lugerguards:
Why not do your cardio after the weight training? Say 15 minute HITT and then 8-10 minute cool down?

The pre-workout cardio is specifically designed to enhance the workout. Once I get ramped-up it won't be negatively impacting weight training, but enhancing it. (It's mostly sub-AT.)

My cardio for cardio's sake is 30 minutes of HIIT on non-weight-training days.

Doing HIIT cardio on weight days is counter-productive, IMO. It exhausts glycogen stores your muscles want to fuel rebuilding.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:

Your OP was concerning. Unless that "walk to the car" was at least a few thousand feet and/or uphill and/or it was more carrying him than walking him: ISTM a young man of only 50 years should not have been winded.

This is why I recommended a checkup.

Without a checkup, embarking on a vigorous exercise routine could well kill you.

Conversely: Doing nothing could well hasten you demise, as well.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:

You can get a full blood test for $269.

http://www.lifeextension.com/V...ale-Panel-Blood-Test

Very extensive test and you can call them up after you get the results back and discuss anything that is out of line. Here is an example:

http://www.lifeextension.com/p...mples/Male_Panel.pdf

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:

Your OP was concerning. Unless that "walk to the car" was at least a few thousand feet and/or uphill and/or it was more carrying him than walking him: ISTM a young man of only 50 years should not have been winded.

This is why I recommended a checkup.

Without a checkup, embarking on a vigorous exercise routine could well kill you.

Conversely: Doing nothing could well hasten you demise, as well.
I guess I did neglect to mention that dad was nearing 400 lbs and was sharing maybe 10% of the load in his weakened state?

W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
quote:

You can get a full blood test for $269.

http://www.lifeextension.com/V...ale-Panel-Blood-Test

Very extensive test and you can call them up after you get the results back and discuss anything that is out of line. Here is an example:

http://www.lifeextension.com/p...mples/Male_Panel.pdf
I can surely afford that. Thanks for the tip. Bonus: there are two labs in my city.

Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
For those who hate weight training, loss of bone and muscle mass is part of the aging process. Weights will not only halt that process but will even reverse it. The older you get the more important weight training becomes to maintaining health.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
What's the way to longer stamina?

Eat dog meat. Smile

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post