SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Increasing stamina
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Increasing stamina Login/Join 
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted
I'm going to be 50 in a few months and I just can't do the long work days or dig a hole without taking a hundred breaks. The time I had to help my father out of his car left me completely winded. I could lift him off the ground with not much effort but then walking him to the car left me out of breath. I've got maybe 4 minutes of work stamina (maybe I'm exaggerating a bit) when I used to be able to just work all day.

So, what do I have to do? Lifting weights doesn't seem like the ideal plan. It's never worked out very well for me even when I could keep up the motivation. It doesn't seem to be a strength issue anyway. Is it all about cardio? I have a treadmill and a spinning bike in the basement. I've also got a jump rope and a heavy bag.

What's the way to longer stamina?

Posts: 45373 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I'll suggest a doctor visit for a physical first of all. You need his/her opinion of your general physical condition and then a plan to a better and safe life.

Best wishes to you.

Posts: 11839 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
First off, get checked out. I lost a LOT of stamina after what I thought was a bronchial infection. That’s when I found out about my pulmonary sarcoidosis.

I spend a fair amount of time on an elliptical and try to walk as much as possible. But I’m just trying to keep what I have, improving is just a bonus to me.

Posts: 6304 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
What OKCGene said, for starters.

When I started on my workout regimen at age 54, the first thing I did was get a full physical plus a heart nuclear stress and leg echo.

Hate to say it: But if you want to age gracefully, you're going to have to learn to like weight training.

There are five components to physical health. Three are strictly physical: Cardio exercise, strength training and stretching. The other two are "non-physical": Proper nutrition and positive mental attitude.

I'm in "recovery" from having taken a week off. In another week or two I'll start pushing everything up again. By NLT than the beginning of February I'll be adding warm-up cardio to my weight training days. That will immediately result in me running out of gas by the end of my weight routines, but, after about a month of that my endurance will be greatly improved.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Doctor first, then look at diet, then weights and I suggest a rowing machine.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8343 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Hate to say it: But if you want to age gracefully, you're going to have to learn to like weight training. ...

Posts: 45373 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Whatever happened to that Enzyte guy?

Posts: 6468 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
I was in the same place as you when I turned 50; out of shape, low stamina, low strength. I actually thought biking 3-4 times a week for 30 minutes, along with a set of pushups and 50 situps would keep me in shape. I was wrong. Thru this forum, I discovered P90X, bought the discs, pullup bar, dumbbells, etc and started work. Coupled with their nutrition guide, I saw a drastic improvement in my life in less than 6 months. It was very hard, but worth it.

Now years later, I have a modified routine to maintain my current fitness (not to build on it). ensigmatic is quite right; you need to include weight/resistance training, without question.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16691 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
I have a treadmill and a spinning bike in the basement. I've also got a jump rope and a heavy bag.
What's the way to longer stamina?

How much dust is on them?
You already have the tools, use them...AFTER seeing the doctor like OKCGene mentioned.

Personally, I find weight lifting as boring as watching paint dry.
Yes, it has rewards. Done wrong it leads to surgery to repair stuff.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:

When I started on my workout regimen at age 54, the first thing I did was get a full physical plus a heart nuclear stress and leg echo.

Hate to say it: But if you want to age gracefully, you're going to have to learn to like weight training.

There are five components to physical health. Three are strictly physical: Cardio exercise, strength training and stretching. The other two are "non-physical": Proper nutrition and positive mental attitude.

I'm in "recovery" from having taken a week off. In another week or two I'll start pushing everything up again. By NLT than the beginning of February I'll be adding warm-up cardio to my weight training days. That will immediately result in me running out of gas by the end of my weight routines, but, after about a month of that my endurance will be greatly improved.

All of this. I lift 4 days a week. Cardio I get in as much as I can. Some weeks 2-3 days others 6. And I eat like a nutritionist. The food is 75% of it imo. I’m ten years younger than you but fit as a fiddle. I feel 30 and in better shape than when I was in high school or college. The weights are the most thing for me. They burn calories even when I sleep. I started doing Dorian Yates technique in college. Warmup the muscle group then nail every set to failure. Those last few reps I’m struggling.

It’s a combo. Nutrition, weights, and cardio. For me all prep work for old age. I’m going out with my boots on. I want no part of a scooter for one. The other is the medical appointments and associated cost. You either pay the fiddler now with hard work and selective diet or pay later with poor health and writing checks. There are no short cuts. Bad habits must be stabbed in the heart.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12626 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
Oh, I have a weight bench, too. I forgot to mention it because we have a strained relationship. We don't like each other much.

The wife wants me to get rid of the weights. Takes up to much room in the basement.

Picture of lugerguards
posted Hide Post
quote:

Why not do your cardio after the weight training? Say 15 minute HITT and then 8-10 minute cool down?

Nothing here to see!

Posts: 1865 | Location: Will County, Illinois | Registered: October 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
My nutritional discipline is quite good, however, my wife won't eat like that so I eat her way a lot. It has caught up with me.

Let's address the question at hand though. What's the specific key to stamina? Is it weights? A little heavy lifting or a lot of light lifting? Or should I concentrate on cardio?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:Let's address the question at hand though. What's the specific key to stamina? Is it weights? A little heavy lifting or a lot of light lifting? Or should I concentrate on cardio?

I think you need to do what is burning you out. If you want to dig holes, dig lots of holes and do things as close to digging holes as possible. I don't think distance running or riding a bike is a very efficient way to improve your hole digging stamina. Much like Strambo's thread about identifying your fitness goal, decide what's important to you.

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
You don’t need weights or even any equipment to maintain adequate fitness. The disadvantage, with or without equipment, is you have to actually do the workouts. Thinking about them, intending to, won’t do any good.

You can find online all sorts of workouts for various occupactions, police, fire, SEALS, etc. add some running, jogging, etc. is probably adequate.

Be sure you have no health issues first.

I was in pretty decent shape, having been an active triathlete, marathoner, hiker, etc. and as I aproached 60, I noticed I wasn’t able to hike Grand Canyon, took a lot of naps on airplanes, etc. I was a swimmer, rode a bike some, walked, no jogging really. I figured it was getting older and being way too heavy. I did lose 60 lbs. then.

When I went in to complain about a persistent cough, it turned out to be pulmonary fibrosis. Now I can’t even ride in an airplane, or go to Grand Canyon let along hike. I’m on O2 24/7 and can barely walk 50’.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lugerguards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
My nutritional discipline is quite good, however, my wife won't eat like that so I eat her way a lot. It has caught up with me.

Let's address the question at hand though. What's the specific key to stamina? Is it weights? A little heavy lifting or a lot of light lifting? Or should I concentrate on cardio?

Mark,

for what it is worth here is my story. Gleen what you can from it.

I am 46 and was overweight with almost zero stamina. I was 268 lbs last year at 6'-1". Last February I started with a trainer who taught me how and when to eat. I also have a wife who eats differently than me and it has been a challenge.

She also has been teaching me how to train. I started with weight training once a week and I am finally up to 5-6 days a week. before the holiday gluttony I was 209 and have all the stamina I need. I have just started with the cardio to finalize my weight training with hopes of burning those hard to get areas of pocketed fat. Hope my story gives you some insight.

Shawn

edited to include the caveat that I have been seeing my doctor prior and during this year.

Nothing here to see!

Posts: 1865 | Location: Will County, Illinois | Registered: October 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After taking care of health issues, if any, try this when available (ask them to email you) https://www.healthyplanetshopp...+&++Herbs+-+21,700mg

I take one overflowing teaspoon per day, downed with water. Basically, I chew the very fine powder and then swallow with water. You might want to start, as I did, with two teaspoons in the morning. You can also mix it with orange juice or whatever suits you.

Warning. It will stimulate your libido. Your wife might then let you keep the weights.

Btw, just wait until you hit 50. So different than when you are 49 and 364 days. Big Grin

Knowing more by accident than on purpose.

Posts: 14186 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: December 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have found that mincing a fresh clove of garlic, mixing it in a solution of water and raw organic apple vinegar, and drinking it without chewing the garlic helps me. I typically take it with my last meal of the day. When I wake, I feel more energetic to exercise.

Posts: 848 | Location: FL | Registered: January 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Here ya go: https://tb12sports.com/pages/tb12-method

Workouts, gear, nutrition, pajamas, everything you need! Just get your Mastercard ready!

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nframe
posted Hide Post
Yeah, you're gonna have to lift weights and move a lot!
I'll be 50 in April, I've been doing P90X and other weight lifting as well as walking 2+ miles a day on a cross country trail. Pretty much non-stop 5-6 days a week when I get home from work even on vacation. It is truly a life style change. Also changing your diet.
I lost 30 pounds when I first started back in 2007 it took a few months, but I have kept the weight off and am stronger and in better shape now than in my mid 30's to early 40's.
I don't stop doing things from 4:30am till 8:30pm weekdays and weekends get up at 5:30.
My energy is up even more in the last year since doing a few tweaks to my diet again.

Posts: 2912 | Location: mid S.C. | Registered: March 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post