SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Scotch for some one who drinks Bourbon
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scotch for some one who drinks Bourbon Login/Join 
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
quote:
Scotches change according to region, so BEWARE....some of them are peeeee-Tay!

As a none-scotch guy, when you say “petey”, is the the near lysterine taste I get with some scotches, including expensive one?

Lemme break it down for you...
My mom, bless her, bought me a bottle of Lagavulin at the letter store( that’s the ABC store in NC where the state has the racket on booze) where she asked someone for assistance in purchasing her beloved son, commonly referred to as “the good son” as I don’t ask for money and gave her grandkids- but I digress.

My writing skills are not what they used to be but sit back and relax as we go on this journey.

First the whisky is rendered in a small copper still and then it is wholly ruined by draining it thru a pair of wool socks taken off the feet of a soldier who was just forced marched thru Scotland via the swamps, not being allowed to rest or change his boots or socks. Then, the resulting fluid is steeped in a bucket of iodine and sea water with a hint of rotten crab. To be let rest inside a burning tire. Finally it is bottled and shipped off to the new world so that we can experience the tinge of the olde worlds quaint ways....

To say it is “peaaaaaa-tay” is an understatement. It’s all peat, all day...and most of the night.

Bluntly, I was a sailor who imbibed on all that could get you drunk. And I’m almost as cheap as my dad, but after two draws on that unholy bottle of (shivers) brew...I promptly poured it down the sink. And told mom never to buy me whisky again without me being present.

And the op should try some Tulamore DEW ( it’s irish whisky but it’s damn good and has a light flavor)

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My first and only foray into scotch was during the Michigan blizzard of 1978.My buddy had a bottle of Cutty Sark.One sip cured to this day my desire to try scotch again. This is coming for a bourbon drinker. Dont try Cutty Sark.

I'm alright it's the rest of the world that's all screwed up!

Posts: 1363 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
I concur with the recommendations for Balvenie Double Wood, or a good Irish whiskey.

Islay and Campbletown Scotch is generally peaty, you will want to steer clear. Some Highland Scotches have a sweeter, honey taste.

But Scotch is all malted barley, no corn.

Try a dram or two at a bar before you invest in a whole bottle.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10487 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
If you would like to try some, uh, "unique" Scotch whisky (note that Scotch is "whisky," others are "whiskey" with an 'e'), I have instant karma for you if you want to stop by my hangar and pick it up.

If you don't like the taste, you can always use it as paint thinner or de-greaser.

It is endorsed by ArtieS!

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...900083664#5900083664

Thank you for the offer.
Unfortunately even though I also live in central Florida I am south west of Disney. With all the construction and traffic between my self and your location it would take me 2 or more hours to get to your location.
However once again thank you.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2553 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
Thank you for all the great recommendations and stories.
Keep them coming.
I may start my journey into Scotch tomorrow with a trip to my local ABC fine wine and Spirits. Sometimes they have sample bottles for tasting.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2553 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Villebilly Deluxe
posted Hide Post
I live in the heart of bourbon country and I enjoy bourbon. My two favorite scotches are Oban and Highland Park. I also found that the right glass is important for enjoying scotch. A good glencairn glass accentuates the positive in scotch. It’s not necessary for a fine bourbon. Just my humble opinion.

Posts: 391 | Location: Bluegrass State | Registered: February 09, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I’m a bourbon drinker too, but I’ve got a bottle of MacCallan 12 in my bar that I keep on hand for visitors who like scotch. This thread prompted me to pour out a couple fingers of the scotch, drop in one ice cube to cool it slightly and I’m sipping it now. I’m still a bourbon drinker, but it’s a nice enough change.

Posts: 13164 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am a big bourbon guy as well but I was actually a scotch drinker before bourbons. Scotchs from Scotland can generally be grouped into 5 main geographical areas - Speyside, Highlands, Lowlands, Islay and Campbeltown. (I personally group the small islands like Jura and Skye in their own subset under Islay.) Each region have a general flavor profile. Most regions have some degree of peatiness and/or smokiness except for the Highland and Lowlands. Those two areas generally have very little if any at all. That is why I recommend scotches from there for beginner scotchs and specifically for the bourbon drinkers used to the sweetness of bourbons.

In no specific order:
- Belvenie Doublewood 12
- Belvenie 14 Caribbean Cask
- Glenmorangie Original 10
- Glendronach 12
- Dalwhinnie 15

If a little smokiness doesn't bother you (Speyside):
- Highland Park 12 (previous bottling); otherwise, HP 12 Viking Honor
- Glenfiddich 15 Solera
- Glenfiddich 14
- Macallen 12

Now Japanes style scotchs:
- Hibiki any you can get your hands on. Floral
- Yamakashi - any you can get your hands on. Dried fruits, closer to Scotland scotches of all the Japanese scotchs IMO
- Hakushu 12, some smoke
- Nikka Whisky From the Barrel, some smoke

Distiller.com and the associated app is a great tool for looking up a liquor you interested in.

Posts: 1039 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: August 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
Thank you for your recommendations.
I went to my local ABC liquor store.
I was able to only taste one Scotch they had a sample bottle of.
With all the information you gave I found something to try. It is a single malt from Speyside.
According to their web site is aged for an average of 7 years in former Bourbon barrels then transferred to Oloroso Sherry casks.
The scotch is made by Glen Moray. It is their Sherry cask finish scotch.
If I like the Glen Moray I will then try the The Macallan 12 Year Sherry Oak Cask Scotch next.
Once again thank you for all your help

NRA Life Member

Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
If bourbon is you preferred drink try Bunnahabhain 12. It has a sweet finish that reminds me of bourbon. Also, try Glenmorangie Quinta Rubin. Then, if you wish to explore a little more try Highland Park 12. That is a nice introduction to the peated world. Not to powerful but definitely a little peat and smoke.

Posts: 7506 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goose5:
If bourbon is you preferred drink try Bunnahabhain 12. It has a sweet finish that reminds me of bourbon. Also, try Glenmorangie Quinta Rubin. Then, if you wish to explore a little more try Highland Park 12. That is a nice introduction to the peated world. Not to powerful but definitely a little peat and smoke.

Glenmorangie Quinta Rubin or Lasanta were going to be my recommendations

Posts: 1181 | Location: DFW Metromess | Registered: May 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
Glenlivet 12 is a great one to start with. Macallan 12 is a step up from there. (Speyside varieties)

The smoky/peat varieties are entirely different and not recommended to start. (Islay varieties). Very different.

It’s hard to try a lot without buying full bottles but holiday packages often include tiny bottles of the longer aged versions.

THIS. I like Glennlivet 12 year...….Also while not a scotch.....Jameson irish whisky is very good too and you'll probably like it.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Normality Contraindicated
Picture of italia
posted Hide Post
A 12 year old single malt from Speyside area would be a good start to trying out whisky

------------------------------------------------------
Though we choose between reality and madness
It's either sadness or euphoria

Posts: 2988 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
Okay I tried it and I like it. Cool It is the Glen Moray. It is their Sherry cask finish scotch.

My wife says she likes it better than Bourbon and see does not like Bourbon, She is a Tequila drinker.
So now I have fallen head first into Scotch. I guess I am going to have to decide between picking up more Blantons on my next cruise or bring a list of the Scotches you have all recommended.
Or I could just buy both Wink

NRA Life Member

Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Which have you tried?

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
Which have you tried?

It is the Glen Moray. It is their Sherry cask finish scotch.

I fixed my post.
Thank you

NRA Life Member

always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Lots of great speysides to sample since you like this one:

This is a favorite:

and of course more costly but universally liked:

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
The top on the Macallan can be tricky.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jerkyjer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
As a Bourbon and Rye drinker, primarily, I like:

Balvenie Doublewood 12

Glenfiddich 12

Glenmorangie 10

The Macallan 12

Red Breast 12 for Irish

Balvenie doublewood is mightly tasty,

my go to favorite is Caol Ila, but it is very very smokey,

I’m a bourbon fan, but when I want to change it up a little and get some smoke, balveine is the fav here.

War Eagle!

Posts: 206 | Registered: April 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I concur with most of the above comments. One question for the OP? Where the heck do you find Blanton's bourbon? The NC system hasn't had it in over two years that I have seen, and PA little better. Of course, Angel's Envy is about as smooth, if a tad sweeter.

Posts: 1637 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: June 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post