SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Scotch for some one who drinks Bourbon
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scotch for some one who drinks Bourbon Login/Join 
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted
I am a Bourbon drinker who is interested in trying Scotch. Some of the Bourbons I drink are Blantons,Knob Creek,Makers Mark and Larceny.
I know very little about Scotch. I have been told the way to go with Scotch is a single malt.
What are your recommendations.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2569 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Angry Korean
with a Dark Soul
Picture of Windhover
posted Hide Post
The term "single malt" is often misused. It only means that officially, the whisky is made with 100% barley malt from the same distillery. A single-malt from Speyside is going to taste mightily different from a single-malt from Islay.

That said, I think someone who is used to sweeter whiskey like Bourbon is most likely to appreciate something less peaty, usually from Speyside, or Highland, or even Lowland. Glenlivet, Glenfiddich, and Macallan are your typical Speyside. Auchentoshan is a good Lowland Scotch. Glenmorangie is a good brand for Highland Scotch.

My personal favorite of the "entry-level" Speyside is Glenlivet 15 year-old French Oak. A bit pricey, but easily found. Glenfiddich 15 is also quite good, as is Macallan 12, in similar price point. Glenmorangie is harder to find, but also pretty good particularly Nectar D'Or.

Posts: 1169 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: October 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
For me, Blanton’s is the Holy Grail. Sure, there are more expensive bottles and I’d have better luck finding a unicorn than finding Pappy’s at list price. If you have a discerning palette for good bourbon why would you drink liquid peat moss? Big Grin

Taste testing on your own will be expensive. Find a liquor store in your area that does occasional sampling/tastings or a bar that offers flights.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: PD,

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
My personal favorite is the Balvenie Caribbean cask.

After aging in oak whisky barrels, it's finished in a rum barrel that gives it a slightly sweet and smoother taste.

It's not cheap, but I always keep a bottle on hand.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
I am a bourbon drinker and occasionally get scotch and when I do I choose a speyside. Craigellachie is really good. Macallan is good. There are a bunch of others. One thing to keep in mind the price for entry is quite a bit steeper than bourbon. Where bourbon is $30, $40, $50 a bottle good seaside is $50-$70.

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4786 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Glenlivet 12 is a great one to start with. Macallan 12 is a step up from there. (Speyside varieties)

The smoky/peat varieties are entirely different and not recommended to start. (Islay varieties). Very different.

It’s hard to try a lot without buying full bottles but holiday packages often include tiny bottles of the longer aged versions.

Posts: 17879 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
If you would like to try some, uh, "unique" Scotch whisky (note that Scotch is "whisky," others are "whiskey" with an 'e'), I have instant karma for you if you want to stop by my hangar and pick it up.

If you don't like the taste, you can always use it as paint thinner or de-greaser.

It is endorsed by ArtieS!

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...900083664#5900083664

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30639 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mttaylor1066
posted Hide Post
If you want to ease into single malt whisky, I would recommend starting with Bunnahabhain which has relatively little peat smokiness but has some interesting sea air notes that will be very different from the sweet bourbon you are used to. It is unlike the neighboring Islay malts which are known to be smoky and peaty.

After Bunnahabhain, move on to Macallan for that sherry and bourbon cask layering... or maybe Glenmorangie for much of the same plus a citrus flavor on top.

If you are still in the game, you may want to go back to Islay and try Ardbeg, Lagavulin or Bowmore for that peaty punch the island is known for. You may like it, you may hate it. Personally,I love it.

Company, villainous company hath been the spoil of me.

Posts: 1598 | Location: Stamford, CT | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
The Macallan. 12 year old sherry cask. They have several different tastes including Fine Oak,Sherry, and double cask....all of them are good but I prefer the sherry finished.

It has gotten pricey, but for once in a while it’s worth it.

Glenmorangie is another good one, very light flavor.

Scotches change according to region, so BEWARE....some of them are peeeee-Tay!

Plus, never mix a single malt with anything other than water or ice....it’s a waste of good whisky. If you are mixing drinks then use a blend...famous grouse comes to mind

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11268 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Have you considered Irish? Similar to Scotch, but without the peaty medicinal taste. I switched from Bourbon to Irish.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8923 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sabonim
Picture of Wayniac
posted Hide Post
My favorite, although not a single malt is “Grand Old Parr”. It’s slightly sweet and very easy to drink.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride! ~Hunter S. Thompson

Posts: 1438 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
As a Bourbon and Rye drinker, primarily, I like:

Balvenie Doublewood 12

Glenfiddich 12

Glenmorangie 10

The Macallan 12

Red Breast 12 for Irish

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Scotches change according to region, so BEWARE....some of them are peeeee-Tay!

As a none-scotch guy, when you say “petey”, is the the near lysterine taste I get with some scotches, including expensive one?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12315 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
As a Bourbon and Rye drinker, primarily, I like:

Balvenie Doublewood 12

Glenfiddich 12

Glenmorangie 10

The Macallan 12

Red Breast 12 for Irish

Balvenie doublewood is mightly tasty,

my go to favorite is Caol Ila, but it is very very smokey,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Macallan and Dalwhinnie.

I am not really into smoky, earthy, or peaty scotches. Dalwhinnie is technically both a speyside and a highland scotch and, while it has a bit of smokiness, is more crisp and fruity and malty.

Macallan is a little less smoky. There is a double cask Macallan that I keep around in a 375 (simply because I don't drink it very often at all) that I like because it has more of an oaky spiciness along with a lot of the rich, sweet bourbon flavors like toffee and caramel.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10480 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glenlivet 12 y.o.
Johnny Walker Black
Dewars 12 y.o.
Chevas Regal 12 y.o.

These are usually available in miniatures, so you can try them without a great expense.
Find what you like and do not like and let us know.
Then we will make more suggestions from your tastes.

Posts: 1194 | Location: Moved to N.W. MT. | Registered: April 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:

the near lysterine taste I get
Hah! I knew it. I'm not the only one.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/6770073664

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30639 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mttaylor1066
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:

the near lysterine taste I get
Hah! I knew it. I'm not the only one.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/6770073664

This is a good question! For my taste, there is "peaty" which is an earthy or medicinal taste that comes from the waterused in the distillation... most often a stream that comes to the distillery after seeping through a peat bog. Not as unpleasant as it sounds... your mileage may vary, a difference of opinion makes a horse race, to each his own... etc. Etc. Etc.

Then there is "peat smoke" which is an earthy aroma taste/odor in single malt Scotch that varies greatly from campfire smoke, hardwood smoke or any other kind of smoke you get from a fireplace.

Both of these conditions carry phenols through to the finished whisky... and give it a particular flavor.

As I understand it, some persons are more sensitive to these phenols than others and don't find the smell and taste pleasant. I am not one of these people. If you have unopened bottles of Lagavulin, Ardbeg, Bowmore, Kilchoman or Bunnahabhain... send them my way. Laphroaig you can keep... because I draw the smoke line just short of Laphroaig.

Company, villainous company hath been the spoil of me.

Posts: 1598 | Location: Stamford, CT | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As a devout Bourbon drinker, I find NO scotch to be palatable!!! It tastes like a very poor grade of moonshine to me!! YMMV

Posts: 6612 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
It all has a slight Medicinal taste to me, all Scotches. Peat or Iodine or something ever so slightly skanky.

Even the best Scotch tastes like delicious medicine, to me.

Bourbon, while also being called medicine in a more loose colloquial sense, doesn't taste anything like any medicine I've ever tasted.

And "medicine" is not a taste I truly like.

Smile

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post