SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    So the Nurse at the ER was Asking if I Had Any Weakness
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So the Nurse at the ER was Asking if I Had Any Weakness Login/Join 
posted
Except she was a young black lady and it came out as "Do you have any weaknesses?" I just had to light her up. "Why yes ma'am, anything illegal, immoral, or fattening".

Posts: 389 | Registered: February 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by duke762:
So the Nurse at the ER was Asking if I Had Any Weakness

Except she was a young black lady and it came out as "Do you have any weaknesses?" I just had to light her up. "Why yes ma'am, anything illegal, immoral, or fattening".

Well, I'm clearly not bright enough to get what the "black" person part has anything to do with the rest of the joke. Anybody kind enough cares to explain?

Q

Posts: 26339 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bushpilot
posted Hide Post
The remark with reference to her skin color is not relevant to the story IMHO. If you leave that part out the story/joke is still just as funny or not depending on one's perspective.

****************************************************W5SCM
"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution" - Abraham Lincoln

"I have been driven many times upon my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had nowhere else to go" - Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1143 | Location: Little Rock, AR | Registered: January 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
A year or so ago I got careless in the shop, touched the bandsaw blade with the back of my finger. The ER nurse said she had to ask, had I ever thought of commmiting suicide. I held up my finger and replied something along the lines that if such were my goal, I would find a more effective method.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
RACIST!!!!!!

Roll Eyes

It appear the commies are rubbing off on some of you guys.

Posts: 20075 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Essayons
Picture of SapperSteel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:

Well, I'm clearly not bright enough to get what the "black" person part has anything to do with the rest of the joke. Anybody kind enough cares to explain?

Good grief. What's with the PC bullshit?

Thanks,

Sap

Posts: 3452 | Location: Arimo, Idaho | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SapperSteel:
quote:
quote:

Good grief. What's with the PC bullshit?

There is no bullshit anything.

Q

Posts: 26339 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
Agree with 12131. Why call out the race if it isn’t relevant?

She’s a young lady. Black, White, Asian... my litmus test for using race is “do I need to call out the race” or “if I swapped races, would it still be ok?”

Posts: 2324 | Location: S. FL | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be Like Mike
Picture of CEShooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

It has the same thing to do as young and lady. All of those are not required for the joke to make sense. But you fixated on race.

EDIT: let’s assume that the nurse part is required to give the medical spin to the joke, why did he have to mention ER. Additionally, I’d argue that the reason for his response (to lighten her day) isn’t needed as well. Yet you fixated on race.

---------------
"Structural engineering is the art of moulding materials we don't understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyze, so as to withstand forces we cannot really access, in such a way that the community at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance." Dr. A. R. Dykes

Posts: 2229 | Location: 500 Miles from the homeland | Registered: February 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:
A year or so ago I got careless in the shop, touched the bandsaw blade with the back of my finger. The ER nurse said she had to ask, had I ever thought of commmiting suicide. I held up my finger and replied something along the lines that if such were my goal, I would find a more effective method.

I had a counselor ask me the suicide question not long ago. I told her only when Adele sings.

Posts: 506 | Location: Salt Flats | Registered: April 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The joke relies on poorly spoken words. Weaknesses, vs weakness. THis could have been any inner city douche, Trailer park trash, or one hell of a tired nurse. Adding the race is bullshit.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
You should've said, "Yes. My weakness is kryptonite..." Big Grin

Posts: 13091 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Didn't mention the Signess?

Posts: 10052 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
"yes ma'am, just one, young nurses"

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37950 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Bacon

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30641 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
In so far as the plural form of "weakness" is "weaknesses" what's the issue?

So, "Do you have a weakness?" if she was only looking for one or "Do you have any weaknesses?" if she was looking for the whole catalog.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12766 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Why does it have to mean anything?
It didn't to me but apparently it did to you?

Posts: 22894 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
In so far as the plural form of "weakness" is "weaknesses" what's the issue?

So, "Do you have a weakness?" if she was only looking for one or "Do you have any weaknesses?" if she was looking for the whole catalog.

Context. She is clearly talking about physical weakness. One particular kind of weakness. By saying "weaknesses" it seems to be asking a broader question, and one which invites the smart ass answer given.

I agree that her race does not seem to be relevant, but it also didn't jump out at me as problem when he did mention it. Everyone relax.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Thank you jhe. I had assumed it was a broader based question inviting a response such as "Palsy in the left arm, can't hear shit, whiskey and hookers."

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12766 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:
Your response was better than mine. And by the way, I would not recommend mine. When asked by a nurse if I'd ever thought about committing suicide, I replied..."All the time. Do you have any new information you can provide on the most effective methods?" My humor (or lack thereof) was completely lost on her.

And having spent an immense amount of time at the hospital over the past few years with assorted family members, a 'black' (or hispanic) reference can pretty much be assumed given the make up of current nursing staffs.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post