SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Dog breath/teeth cleaning
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dog breath/teeth cleaning Login/Join 
posted
Hiya. My 6 and a half year old Malinois has some tartar buildup and is due for a professional clean.

We’ve never had it done before, and I had a question. Will the cleaning take care of her “dog breath”?

I’m not particularly offended by it, I just want to make sure it’s not a sign of a larger heath issue.

I’ll go over all of this with the vet, but I thought I’d chime in here first.

Posts: 958 | Registered: October 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conductor in Residence
Picture of Maestro
posted Hide Post
It usually does for our dogs...at least, most of it. Until one of them eats a turd.

Posts: 3675 | Location: Tampa Bay, FL | Registered: July 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Laugh or Die
posted Hide Post
Do you give your dog rawhide treats? They instantly take care of my dogs breath when I give them one every time. I usually give them ~1 every day or two.

Posts: 10202 | Location: NC | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
Carrots are also great for their teeth.

Posts: 4498 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think it depends where the stank is coming from. We have a Boston Terrier who constantly smells like she ate a dead carp. After doing some research it appears that not only does this unholy stink come from deep within but it is fairly common to the breed. We feed her plain yogurt and the culture helps quite a bit

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It’s tough giving her rawhide, teeth cleaners, as anything she eats other than her food gives her the runs.

Posts: 958 | Registered: October 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
Have you tried Greenies for Dogs. I give our two one of these once or twice a week. Generally, their breath stays tolerable and they haven't needed the deep cleaning. Gums and teeth look great.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
It will help temporarily. Afterward, you should consider getting a dog toothbrush and dog toothpaste to help keep her mouth clean. Maybe 2-3 times a week for about a minute. It's easy.

You can also get dental chews at a reasonable price at Costco. After a meal, it helps clean their teeth and their breath, but the toothbrush route is cheaper.

Posts: 8618 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
I confess. I've had a few dogs over the years and it never ever occurred to me to brush their teeth until we got an Australian Shepherd and my wife decided to try. We tried the chews and they help but long-term the word now is to occasionally brush their teeth to assist in fighting the tartar buildup. We use a flavored pet toothpaste that the dog loves.

Here's the kind of veterinarian toothpaste we use-

Virbac Animal Health C.E.T. Enzymatic Toothpaste Dentifrice Enzymatique, vanilla-mint favor.
The Aussie loves the flavor and it does help her breath...

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Get one of those giant cow femur bones, Will keep dog occupied and happy for hours and afterward teeth will be sparkling white and breath will be what a dogs breath should smell like

NRA Life Member

Posts: 240 | Location: Kiawah Island, SC | Registered: July 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
The odor is caused by 2 things: bacteria trapped in a sugar "matrix" (no, not that Neo crap) on the teeth, and the fact that your dog eats (FITB).

When we clean teeth, we sedate and use a cavitron along with hand scaling to get the calculus and plaque off the teeth, evaluate which teeth are loose/too loose and which have slab fractures, holes, erosive conditions, or any other issues. We make recommendations to you (generally ahead of time we get our rules of engagement; how to proceed if we see x, y, or z when we're in there), repair or remove damaged teeth if needed, polish the teeth to remove microscopic barnacles that aid in new calculus formation on the teeth, and recover your pet.

If there is heavy subgingival infection, I usually send home an antibiotic, and we try to get them on something to help with slowing the onset of gum disease (since 90% of clients can't or won't brush their pet's teeth).

The odor will be virtually eliminated until the calculus comes back, which is variable according to the size of the pet and the care given after the cleaning. Almost all pets need yearly dental cleaning after the age of 7. Rarely do they get it, due to a variety of financial and personal reasons.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
Be careful of places that sedate your dog to clean their teeth. Maligators can be tricky to sedate.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13951 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
We've used this with pretty good results:

Oxyfresh

Posts: 13109 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
My lab is going in for an extraction of a major tooth and cleaning. I sent Slabsides an email. I just want my girl happy and healthy.

This stuff worries me sick. How did everything go if you happen to see this?

Posts: 17884 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Maybe 2-3 times a week for about a minute. It's easy.

Clearly, you’ve never owned beagles Big Grin
Trying to brush teeth or cut nails gets a reaction skin to what you’d expect from holding hot coals against their skin.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15571 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:

Clearly, you’ve never owned beagles Big Grin
Trying to brush teeth or cut nails gets a reaction skin to what you’d expect from holding hot coals against their skin.

hahahaha

Posts: 8618 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
I give my Lab a dental stix every day. Not cheap but a whole lot cheaper than a cleaning under anesthesia.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
I sent you an email back Oz, lemme know if you don’t get it soon.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Laugh or Die
posted Hide Post
Along with the rawhides, my dogs both get their teeth cleaned on a yearly basis. This has included teeth being pulled. No issues. I do feel uneasy every time they go under anesthesia but I don't imagine anyone doesn't.

Posts: 10202 | Location: NC | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
When I was a kid , we never worried about our dogs teeth like today. They could eat anything and not get the runs. Different times, and not to mention the cost to sedate and clean. I have 2 Miniature Australian Shepard’s, and it costs me a fortune.....

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post