SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    headliner came loose at the back window
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

headliner came loose at the back window Login/Join 
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted
Is there a preferred spray or method of re-attaching this fabric to the roof ?

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
3M Headliner Adhesive aerosol
Bigger cans at the parts stores are usually around $20.
WalMart has a smaller can of same for less than $10.

You probably have a little cheapo paint trim roller with the foam roller. This is handy to roll over the headliner from the outside to get it to stick smoothly and evenly. You spray the glue per directions and the roller can help you roll the liner back into place.

https://images-na.ssl-images-a...RgRmEd9L._SX355_.jpg

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
I stuck thumbtacks in mine until I could get it fixed "properly"

That was three years ago.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dusty3030:
3M Headliner Adhesive aerosol

I tried this product some years back with no success, despite repeated attempts. The car was a Toyota Corolla, if that matters, but I finally just cut off the offending piece of headliner so I could see out the rear window.

Like most 3M products, there's bound to be a better product available, so try it, but don't expect a lot out of it.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9153 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A quick way is to attach the liner is by using upholstery slipcover pins. It has a cork screw shaft with a plastic head that available at sewing or craft store.

Posts: 27 | Registered: October 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
3M spray adhesive. However, usually it doesn't work because it's the material that has gone bad. Most headliner guys charge less than $200 to install a new headliner. That is the direction I'd be prepared to go if the adhesive doesn't work. You could also try thin monel staples, but they will show a little.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Are you a smoker? My Dad is retired from autobody (former smoker too) and said the headliner coming loose is more prevalent with people who smoke in their car. In other words, if you're a smoker other areas may drop too.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23242 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
3M spray adhesive. However, usually it doesn't work because it's the material that has gone bad...

I wish I knew this back then! I don't remember if the can had a warning about that issue, but I'd bet it didn't. I could have saved a lot of back strain and several arguments with my girlfriend, who owned the car.

Thanks, Jimmy! SigForum for the win again!

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9153 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Yep, when the foam liner deteriorates, nothing will hold.

Our prior Buick did it (actually the entire shell)and all GM wanted to do under warranty was glue it. First hot day and the liner dropped.

Posts: 17884 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
If you don't take the backer board off and clean it off and abrade it the do it yourself can method usually won't work. Unless you have a ton of time to spend and don't mind the work you'll need new fabric also. To me it was almost as economical to have it done at a shop.

Posts: 6011 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post