SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    It Was a Cold, Rainy Evening
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

It Was a Cold, Rainy Evening Login/Join 
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted
It was a cold (mid 50s) rainy evening this evening and i was out when my wife came home. Seems there was a [wild] bunny which had pushed itself, nose first, into an outside corner of the house where the garage door comes down and meets the driveway. Little bunny doesn't move when my wife pulls in, gets out, walks past, into the house, and then back out again. Nor does the bunny fight when my wife picks it up, places it into a tub, bring it into the house, and places said tub into the bathroom.

One look by me and I can tell the bunny is dying. A secondary look and it appears maybe the bunny was hit by a car.

Can't put the bunny back outside, can't wring its neck or otherwise put it down, and can't convince the wife the bunny is dying.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Sorry to read you are at an impasse.

Dark, covered and warm quite place.

Compassion is not lost.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
Like S. Monkey said, thank you for the compassion.

Many times, even a young bunny, when just handled by a human , will not live. Growing up, in the wheatfields we cut, I would catch small rabbits to get them out the field and danger. Once handled, even gently, a little later they would die. Let us know the little rabbits fate.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For the first time in years, I have a small crop of cottontails. When I first saw them last spring, I did not hold out much hope they would survive, given their high mortality rate. They made it so far. But that may not last, as I had a Great Horned Owl in one of my trees the other night. I enjoy watching them in the summer evenings.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Rabbits on the hillside prevent decent grass from growing. Pulling in at dusk can result is a 15+ bunny sighting on a cul-de-sac of 10 homes (and I'm at the street's opening). All but one home has dogs to keep the coyotes at bay. There are rabbit pellets in everyone's grass. These things are very prolific. Now, with that said...

I and a couple neighbors have culled the warren(s) with .22 quiets (it's a team effort) however, the thought of having one slowly dying is ethically painful for me regardless of why its life is failing. To that; the bunny is moving and wanting to get out of the tub. It is settling down with a soft touch and calm words. There's now a heating pad, set on low, on the outer edge inside the tube, and a couple baby carrots near the bunny's head.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
All I can think to say is thank you.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8066 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
Sorry to read you are at an impasse.

Dark, covered and warm quite place.

Compassion is not lost.

Listen to him. For a monkey, he's dang smart.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31379 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
You say he appears to be injured and dying. He can't tell you the level of pain he is experiencing but it could be substantial. C'mon man, put the poor little guy down...now.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5024 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
My wife and daughters find stuff like that all the time. They take them to the college in town that has a vet school. - where they either get fixed or euthanized.

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
Seems there was a [wild] bunny which had pushed itself, nose first, into an outside corner of the house where the garage door comes down and meets the driveway.

I have watched with amazement as our wild bunnies go right through a chain link fence, at a run, no less. They just pop right through the diamond shaped hole in the fence fabric. They can squeeze in some very small openings.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
Sometimes the best you can do is offer a safe, decent place to die. I believe it's worth doing.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5473 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trebor44
posted Hide Post
Despite the Bugs Bunny cartoon, wild rabbits do not like carrots. Their preference is grass or timothy hay, dried leaves, chicken scratch or their own poo. We have wild rabbits in our backyard and they don't even do rabbit pellets but they do eat Cheerios. Go figure, heck they even like the Arborvitaes!

--------------------------------

On the inside looking out, but not to the west, it's the PRK and its minions!

Posts: 624 | Location: Idaho, west of Beaver Dicks Ferry | Registered: August 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear about your situation. Frown

I'd hate to see this thread locked. You might want to be more specific with the title.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38599 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Well, the rabbit done died sometime in middle of the night. Of course around oh- dark- thirty my wife woke up and found it, comes back to bed, WAKES me up and says I need to check on the bunny....

Apparently "if it's dead now, it'll be dead when we get up" is not the answer she wanted to hear. Nor were comments about White Walkers visiting.

Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
You tried and that is what is important.

The mortality rate on young wild animals, either accidently leaving their nest, brood, or parent or leaving and being injured is very high.

I have tried many times, unsuccessfully, to save young wild animals, birds, rabbits, etc, with no luck.

Thank you for letting us know.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well, the rabbit done died

Taken in a different context, that could be VERY different news. Wink

You tried and that's what the wife wanted.
I know you would have preferred to put it out of it's misery but keeping peace at the homestead has rewards.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3771 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post