SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I really want to start looking into the Linux world,
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I really want to start looking into the Linux world, Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I'm far from being a Linux expert. In fact, I'm not even a very adept novice.

I ran Mint for several years then switched to the Mint rolling release (LMDE) as I had grown weary of installing the new releases when they became available. The rolling release would update your system automatically - a little bit at a time. That version of Mint (LMDE) was replaced with LMDE2 which required a completely new installation.

At that time, I experimented with several distributions but most were not rolling releases.

I finally settled on Manjaro (Cinnamon Community edition: https://manjaro.org/community-editions/ ). It is a rolling release based upon Arch Linux.

I've been running it for a few years without issue. It keeps itself undated so no periodic installations are needed. If I must run a Windows program, which is exceedingly rare, I'll do so via VirtualBox. I'm not a gamer so I use Linux for email, surfing the web, YouTube, and written correspondence and spreadsheets via the included Libre Office package.

Posts: 63 | Location: North Central PA | Registered: July 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another issue going on is that the new dev community leadership wants the SW to support NSA backdoors in HW. I don’t care if trained squirrels develop kernel code. But keep the GDC out of our lives.

As for Linus being an asshole - I’m shocked. I’ve never seen an asshole in the high tech industry where I’ve worked for over 30 years. Let Linus take a break then get back to business.

Posts: 3953 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimineer:
Another issue going on is that the new dev community leadership wants the SW to support NSA backdoors in HW. I don’t care if trained squirrels develop kernel code. But keep the GDC out of our lives.

If they do that I predict Linux will get forked and the current Linux will cease being used by anybody who cares about security.

quote:
As for Linus being an asshole - I’m shocked. I’ve never seen an asshole in the high tech industry where I’ve worked for over 30 years.

I cannot imagine how anybody could work in the tech industry for thirty years and not encounter "assholes." The tech industry is literally rife with Dr. Sheldon Cooper types. Hell, I'm a Dr. Sheldon Cooper type (tho not nearly as smart). Such people frequently are impatient with incompetence and have exceedingly poor people skills.

IOW: Assholes.

Not all of them, but a good many. I've encountered some that make me look like a freakin' saint.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
o-o ,
I highly recommend MX17 - Debian based compilation of Antix and Mepis - simple and beautiful - takes about 10 minutes to load and is medium weight XFCE . Gave an old mate of 92 a spare laptop with it on and he has no problems . As with all Linux it is VERY configurable and has no bugs that I have been able to find .
best.

Posts: 132 | Registered: June 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
cannot imagine how anybody could work in the tech industry for thirty years and not encounter "assholes." The tech industry is literally rife with Dr. Sheldon Cooper types. Hell, I'm a Dr. Sheldon Cooper type (tho not nearly as smart). Such people frequently are impatient with incompetence and have exceedingly poor people skills.

No shit.

Linus has always been an asshole, and that's far from uncommon, and especially at that level. Big damn deal. I can't believe that's even being discussed as a thing. It's not a sewing circle, it's an arena where super nerds work to maintain and manage core code, in a place where (thankfully) there is no HR department or any other similar nonsense.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
quote:
cannot imagine how anybody could work in the tech industry for thirty years and not encounter "assholes." The tech industry is literally rife with Dr. Sheldon Cooper types. Hell, I'm a Dr. Sheldon Cooper type (tho not nearly as smart). Such people frequently are impatient with incompetence and have exceedingly poor people skills.

No shit.

Linus has always been an asshole, and that's far from uncommon, and especially at that level. Big damn deal. I can't believe that's even being discussed as a thing. It's not a sewing circle, it's an arena where super nerds work to maintain and manage core code, in a place where (thankfully) there is no HR department or any other similar nonsense.

Exactly.

Once had a company meeting, don't recall the subject, where I publicly admitted I was "a bit of an asshole" where it came to network security. President of the company looked me in the eye, right there in front of the entire room-full of coworkers, and said "That's fine. We like you doing your job just the way you are."

(I was blessed, throughout my years in IT Admin, with having PHBs for bosses that I was capable of educating as to why I did what I did. Few IT people are so lucky.)

I was the same when I wrote code. It was either right or it was not. I wasted no time on touchy-feely. With either gender.

If some of these snowflakes think Linus is an asshole, they ought to try working with Theo de Raadt Smile

We have Theo to thank for OpenSSH, which has consistently been one of the most solid bits of code ever. Pretty damn impressive for such an attractive target.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ensigmatic,

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:

If they do that I predict Linux will get forked and the current Linux will cease being used by anybody who cares about security.

quote:
As for Linus being an asshole - I’m shocked. I’ve never seen an asshole in the high tech industry where I’ve worked for over 30 years.

I cannot imagine how anybody could work in the tech industry for thirty years and not encounter "assholes." The tech industry is literally rife with Dr. Sheldon Cooper types. Hell, I'm a Dr. Sheldon Cooper type (tho not nearly as smart). Such people frequently are impatient with incompetence and have exceedingly poor people skills.

Not all of them, but a good many. I've encountered some that make me look like a freakin' saint.

I was being sarcastic about no a’holes in high tech if that didn’t come across.

My point, they need to get over it. Put their big boy panties on.

Posts: 3953 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post