SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I really want to start looking into the Linux world,
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I really want to start looking into the Linux world, Login/Join 
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted
And have installed a few distros in the past years, but I always crash and burn at the early stages.

Looking forward to get back into the command line universe after so many years away but my sight is going downhill and an to used, read lazy, to the graphic mode.

I barely got some of the programs I'd like to use on my latest try, the newest lubuntu distro after a frustrating Linux Lite last week. It was looking very promising so far but I wanted more contrast on my desktop...
After installung a dark desktop there I find myself locked out.

Appears to be a normal thing so I'm not worried but it is frustrating, I was close to a working Linux setup. The closest I've ever been.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12106 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I run Mint.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34107 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
I run Mint.

That's what I run--with the MATE desktop.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Red Hat personal

Posts: 13806 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Linux Mint - Mate version. Been running Linux Mint since about 2009. Occasionally I run into something I absolutely HAVE to have Windows for but it's rare. I have a netbook with Windows 10 for that and I HATE it. I have the Windows netbook dumbed down and barebones as possible. It isn't used often.

I don't like the current update policy in the latest release of Linux Mint, but it can be easily tweaked. Used to be, Mint had a policy of if it ain't broke don't fix it, but they've changed a bit. The out of the box policy now is to update everything when available, including the kernel. It relies on frequent backups as a fail safe and fall back if something goes wrong with an update. Prolly works okay for most but all the backups and unnecessary and/or risky updates are not for me.

I only run level 1,2 and 3 updates and only update the kernel when there is a security issue. I backup personal files to an external hard drive and do not run any native system backups ... automatic or otherwise. Linux Mint is so easy to install and quickly get up and running, I don't need continual backups taking resources and disk space, nor all the extra writes to my SSD drive. If something goes horribly wrong, I just reinstall Mint.

There are many Linux distros worthy of a look but I'm happy with Mint for about 9 years now.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
I run a CentOS 6.9 server at work. It's my private "sandbox" for building and testing demos of the software my company produces. I like the UI better than 7.0.

I also have a number of Linux distros running on both virtual and physical hardware: Mint, elementary, MX Linux, Lite and Peppermint, to name a few.

The key takeaway about Linux is that it's an operating system that allows you to have your choice of graphical interface. Or none, if that's your choice (you'd better be handing with the command line, that's all I'll say).

There are flame wars on the Internet over which UI is "better." Some distros give you the choice at installation (KDE, GNOME, LXDE, Xfce, etc.) and this is where it can get confusing.

Some UIs are designed to work like Windows. Others have features Mac users might appreciate (a dock, top level menus, etc.). The important thing is the installation process. Virtually every installation has the same steps: Format disk, create an admin ('root') account, create a user account (who will be an admin, who can become root), time zone settings, and so on. Once installed, then it's time to configure the UI.

And if you don't like it, uninstall and try again.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hobbs:
Another vote for Linux Mint - Mate version. Been running Linux Mint since about 2009. Occasionally I run into something I absolutely HAVE to have Windows for but it's rare. I have a netbook with Windows 10 for that and I HATE it. I have the Windows netbook dumbed down and barebones as possible. It isn't used often.

I don't like the current update policy in the latest release of Linux Mint, but it can be easily tweaked. Used to be, Mint had a policy of if it ain't broke don't fix it, but they've changed a bit. The out of the box policy now is to update everything when available, including the kernel. It relies on frequent backups as a fail safe and fall back if something goes wrong with an update. Prolly works okay for most but all the backups and unnecessary and/or risky updates are not for me.

I only run level 1,2 and 3 updates and only update the kernel when there is a security issue. I backup personal files to an external hard drive and do not run any native system backups ... automatic or otherwise. Linux Mint is so easy to install and quickly get up and running, I don't need continual backups taking resources and disk space, nor all the extra writes to my SSD drive. If something goes horribly wrong, I just reinstall Mint.

There are many Linux distros worthy of a look but I'm happy with Mint for about 9 years now.

My desktop computer. Fanless, noiseless, IntensePC running Linux Mint Mate, with Intel Core i5, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD, onboard Intel video. Not for gamers by a long shot but I'm not a gamer and it serves my purposes. Uses only (up to) 11W power and is never powered down. Seldom even rebooted. It just works. Replaced a big 'ole noisy, power hungry desktop tower box, effortlessly.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm fond of testing Linux distributions on usb flash drives. You can download mint onto a small drive, make your BIOS boot USB attached drives, and you're running Linux. You can keep using that, remote the usb drive and all is as before. Or tell it to adjust your disk to steal 10GB from Window and make your system dual boot.

My son started with a 4GB usb drive, downloaded mint with the installers, and got it all running in under 10 minutes. A little bit later he had Minecraft running on linux.

It's much more friendly than it was years ago.

Posts: 2360 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
I ran Mint for a number of years, but grew tired of fresh installs for the new versions.

I switched to Ubuntu's previous LTS (16.04), recently upgraded directly to 18.04 LTS and couldn't be happier.

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of K0ZZZ
posted Hide Post
I run Mint with Cinnamon on the box in the garage, and love it. Though from so many of the posts here, I might have to try it with Mate and check out the differences.

Overall, simple to install and maintain. Lots of good packages to install and use.

... Chad

http://shotworkspro.com - Much better than scrap paper! Use 'Take5' to get 5 bucks off.

Posts: 770 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I first got into Linux when the OS was at version 0.3. I was in grad school at the time and heard some guys talking about Linux. Being a nerd I had to try it out. I nearly failed grad school because I spent so much time screwing with Linux, building video card drivers and compiling each new build as they came out. It’s cool to see how far Linux has come and how easy the installation process is.

I’ve pretty much gotten out of PCs and just use a tablet or my iPhone at home. The last time I messed with Linux I settled on Linux Mint. I created a bootable USB and it was all encrypted. I got the info on how to do it here on Sigforum. If I ever want to rub Linux again it will be a bootable USB 3.0 drive.

I know nobody cares about any of this but I’ll never use Windows again on a personal computer at home. I don’t have that option for my work Laptop unfortunately.

There’s a lot of satisfaction I think in going thru the installation process and learning to administer and use Linux - if you have a bit nerd in you.

Posts: 3953 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I'm curious, 0-0: What do you expect or hope to get out of Linux?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I have a few different Distros on different machines and USB sticks.

Mint is a pretty good place to start.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zerious
posted Hide Post
I've been a Linux/Unix guy since the mid 90's. It's not hard to install into a useful, stable desktop unless you are attempting it on very old hardware, or a very odd software configuration.
Avoid the frustration, get yourself installed into a vanilla desktop (XFCE is my favorite). Then if you want to install a command line centric environment like ratpoison or iw3, you have someplace to revert back to for problem solving.
As far as Distros go, in order of least frustrating to most:

Mint
Ubuntu
Debian
Centos
Fedora
Arch

There are many spinoffs to each of these (I excluded Redhat because they charge $). Each has a good support base, and have been around long enough where questions can be answered quite easily with a bit of Googling.

"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."
- Carl Sagan

Posts: 2120 | Location: Arizona | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I don't use Linux on a day-to-day basis (use FreeBSD instead), but I do have a VM of Debian, for when I do need Linux. I'm old fashioned, I guess.

Posts: 10782 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
I'm old fashioned, I guess.

You're old-fashioned? Ha! I got no VMs at all.

Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
I'm old fashioned, I guess.

You're old-fashioned? Ha! I got no VMs at all.

Limited hardware or space for any more. I embrace VMs. On two Macs, I have 8 OS's, besides the two macOS's. Some are VMs, some are bootable drives. I meant old-fashioned by my choice of Linux distro, Debian. Smile

Posts: 10782 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, not so fast.....

Some Social justice warrior has taken over Linux Dev forcing Linus Torvalds, the creator of Linux, and other key kernel developers out. The new CoC allows Linux kernel developers to be kicked out of the development community if they don’t adhere to the SJW cultural crap.

Under the current GNU Public License 2.0, developers own the copyrights to their code and they are threatening to pull their code (license) from Linux because of the new CoC. This will essentially kill Linux and essentially shut down the internet, cell phones, etc etc since Linux runs on so many electronic devices.

So the freaking SJWs kill everything. I’m sure this will get worked out, but maybe not. LOFL. What next. These freaks need extermination.

Posts: 3953 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never Go
Full Retard
Picture of MitchbSC
posted Hide Post
The Linus T issue is limited to the Linux operating system kernel. The kernel is only the base operating system without anything that makes the computer usable other than booting up. Guys like Richard Stallman who wrote the GNU licenses behind Linux say the contributions are not revocable (link).

Linus T has been a jackass. Not only would he reject bad code submitted to the Linux kernel, but he would ridicule those who submitted it. This created a toxic environment in the kernel development circles that slowed contributions.

The kernel is only a portion of Linux. What makes the base Linux operating system usable beyond the kernel is the distribution packages on top of it like Mint, Redhat, Fedora, SUSE, OpenSUSE, Ubuntu and all the xBuntu flavors, Debian, and so forth. All the extra stuff above the kernel is graphical environments, networking, office packages, etc.

They don't think it be like it is, but it do.

Posts: 4797 | Location: SC | Registered: January 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MitchbSC:
The kernel is only a portion of Linux.

Linux IS the kernel. The rest of a 'Linux distribution' has nothing to do with Linux and would be all but useless without GNU software, whether it's packaged by Redhat or somebody else.

Posts: 4078 | Location: NC | Registered: December 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post