SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Looking for a good pulse oximeter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for a good pulse oximeter Login/Join 
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted
I'm looking for a good and reliable pulse oximeter for home use. What are some good brands and models you have used? If possible, I'd like one that does overnight logging (if it's not too expensive)

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4930 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Going to watch this.

I've used pulse oxmeters but never for overnight logging. I couldn't imagine the one's I've seen and used would work when sleeping. I think they would all fall off or at least move enough to not get a reading. Unless you don't move at all when you sleep.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16397 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
Maybe you could rent one if you only want to see results for a short time. See if your Doc will order overnight oximetry. I would think one that records, and/or prints out would be expensive to buy.
A good brand with a good rep is Nonin. I have a NoninGO2. IIRC, it was less than 100.00. Less now. There is a Bluetooth model for 229.00 on EBay. That way you could probably print results. Hospitals use NellCor or Puritan Bennett(?), Respironics, maybe others too. There are options on those models which allow the sensor to be taped to your finger to get continuous readings.
There are a lot of cheaper models out there. Priced about 40.00 or even less.
The thing to remember is that all PO (Pulse Oximeter) are +/-3% accurate. Even Hospital POs. But they got to be more accurate than a 40.00 MIC PO. Either that or they're wasting their money. You are looking for trends. And there is no way to calibrate them. So don't just jump and go with the first number you see. Change locations of PO, different fingers etc. different fingers have different circulations. Different POs give different readings. But it's the trend that you're looking for.
Gustover or someone else still working will be along shortly to give direction also.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tubetone
posted Hide Post
I use the Mossimo with an iPhone. It works flawlessly but is pricey. It is right on with my doctor's and hospital's devices.

It will record up to 12 hours and has the ability to connect with cloud storage if you like. I use it stand alone with an app from the App Store.

It's available on Amazon and elsewhere.

For overnight, one of the stand alone devices or one of the Bluetooth devices may be easier to manage. The corded versions can get tangled/pulled.

Many years ago, I bought a stand alone for my now deceased father. It worked for him overnight but took an engineering degree to get the material to a printed form.

You may wish to investigate how easy it will be to review and print the overnight results before you buy a given device.

Posts: 3078 | Registered: January 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I have a Contec CMS60C color pulse oximeter that has worked quite well. It does everything you are looking for. Software initially was problematic but I "broke the code."

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16208 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Contact this member, he's in the business. Link

Posts: 11839 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
I may have a flux capacitor to sell............

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4576 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post