SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Air Canada Lines up on Taxiway at SFO
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Air Canada Lines up on Taxiway at SFO Login/Join 
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted
First Han Solo and now this. Along with the C-130 in MI, not a good aviation day.

Air Canada Plane Mistakenly Lines Up to Land on Taxiway at San Francisco International Airport: FAA

An Air Canada plane on Friday inadvertently lined up to land on a taxiway at San Francisco International Airport before being turned away by an air traffic controller, according to the Federal Aviation Administration.

The Air Canada A320 aircraft had been given the green light to land on Runway 28R, but the pilot somehow positioned the plane to land on Taxiway C, which runs parallel to Runway 28R, according to the FAA. The air traffic controller noticed the issue and prompted the plane to abort its landing attempt and make another pass, according to the FAA. The plane circled around and landed successfully on its second attempt, the FAA said.

The Mercury News reported Monday that there were four planes fully loaded with passengers and fuel sitting on Taxiway C at the time of the incident, according to the FAA.

NBC Bay Area

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16347 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Apparently he missed that huge "28R" painted on the concrete.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16347 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:

Oh, you mean THAT 28R?

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

tac

Posts: 11320 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How common is this? Are all aborted or can they fix it? I assume that depends on distance out on the glide path.

P229

Posts: 3825 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just Hanging Around
posted Hide Post
quote:

That's in English. These guys were Canadian.

Posts: 3235 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:
quote:

Oh, you mean THAT 28R?

tac
That is not a believable Canadian quote as it is missing both the apology and the eh? Big Grin

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23249 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ59:
How common is this? Are all aborted or can they fix it? I assume that depends on distance out on the glide path.

Common to line up on a taxiway? Exceedingly uncommon. I suspect they were not paying particularly close to their navigation tools because those navigation aids give pretty darn precise info close to the ground.

Common to go around? Not common but happens often enough.

"Are all aborted"? Not sure what that means.

You can do a go-around/rejected landing so low that you bounce the wheels on the ground. The procedures, which are charted, will remain the same.

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Top Gun Supply
posted Hide Post
As Otto said, it is not common. The media goes in cycles of reporting these types of incidents, so it appears to be happening more often.

https://www.topgunsupply.com

SIG SAUER Dealer and Parts Distributor

Posts: 10339 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Several years ago an Asiana 777 crashed into 28L, totally different cirsumstances.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/..._Airlines_Flight_214

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:
quote:

Oh, you mean THAT 28R?

tac

Actually it was "but wait, that one is left of mine... I wonder when they put mine in...?"

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
Canadians. Meh...

I'd rather trust my life to Aeroflot.

Actually, I have trusted my life to Aeroflot.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Otto Pilot:
quote:
Originally posted by Russ59:

Common to line up on a taxiway? Exceedingly uncommon. I suspect they were not paying particularly close to their navigation tools because those navigation aids give pretty darn precise info close to the ground.

Common to go around? Not common but happens often enough.

"Are all aborted"? Not sure what that means.

You can do a go-around/rejected landing so low that you bounce the wheels on the ground. The procedures, which are charted, will remain the same.

Are ya saying the needle wasn't centered and no one noticed? Seems like that should be in a check list somewhere.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
Several years ago an Asiana 777 crashed into 28L, totally different cirsumstances.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/..._Airlines_Flight_214

Ah yes, Sumting Wong....and so on.

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
"Captain Aimer said that if the tower hadn't been able to swiftly redirect the Air Canada plane, disaster would have followed.

'If you could imagine an Airbus colliding with four passenger aircraft wide bodies, full of fuel and passengers, then you can imagine how horrific this could have been,' he remarked."

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8946 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:

Are ya saying the needle wasn't centered and no one noticed? Seems like that should be in a check list somewhere.

Well I don't want to Monday Morning Quarterback another pilot, but essentially, yeah, unfortunately.

And that typically wouldn't be in a checklist, that's just basic Airmanship 101. Use all possible resources to help you get where you want to go, and line up on the concrete outlined in WHITE lights (runway), not BLUE ones (taxiway).

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Bobby....Hold my Molson Eh....I need to land this bugger.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
"Captain Aimer said that if the tower hadn't been able to swiftly redirect the Air Canada plane, disaster would have followed.

'If you could imagine an Airbus colliding with four passenger aircraft wide bodies, full of fuel and passengers, then you can imagine how horrific this could have been,' he remarked."

Actually, something like this happened years ago, I think in Mexico City, where a very senior pilot in a widebody lined up and landed on a runway closed for maintenance and filled with earthmoving machinery. He forgot to side step.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:

Actually, something like this happened years ago, I think in Mexico City, where a very senior pilot in a widebody lined up and landed on a runway closed for maintenance and filled with earthmoving machinery. He forgot to side step.

Western Airlines 2605. A bad situation that one. Bad weather, closed runway, and difference in terminology between Mexican and US controllers

Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Otto Pilot:
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:

Well I don't want to Monday Morning Quarterback another pilot, but essentially, yeah, unfortunately.

And that typically wouldn't be in a checklist, that's just basic Airmanship 101. Use all possible resources to help you get where you want to go, and line up on the concrete outlined in WHITE lights (runway), not BLUE ones (taxiway).

Well I know that is how it works in a Piper Archer II so it has to be similar to an A320... Albeit lower and slower.

When I was a kid my sister's best friends dad worked for the FAA and he and his crew checked and adjusted the ILS systems at all airports in their region. He had two retired Navy pilots on his crew... That was some fun flying in a converted Sabre Liner

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post