SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Looking for opinions from long term users of the Apple Watch
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for opinions from long term users of the Apple Watch Login/Join 
Bald Headed Squirrel Hunter
Picture of Angus the Kid
posted
I've been thinking of getting an Apple Watch, but I'm not sure how much I'll really use the damn thing. I hate wasting money.

For those of you that have had an Apple Watch for a while, what do you think now?

Do you still wear it? Do you still find it useful? Are your regretting spending that money? Is it the best iPhone accessory ever?

BTW, I've had AirPods for 5 months and absolutely love those damn things!

Thanks in advance.

"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss"

Posts: 6141 | Location: In the tent, in Houston, in Texas | Registered: October 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
I’ve had mine for about a year and have no regrets.

I use it for tracking exercise (walking).

One of the unexpected things I really like is the notifications. If I have my phone on silent I miss calls, texts, notifications, etc. But now I get those notifications on the watch and don’t have to keep my eyes on the phone.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6403 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife has had hers for a few years. She uses it to talk into while she's driving. Pretty handy for that. She also does some fitness stuff with it.

Posts: 7551 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
I’ve worn one every day essentially since they came out in 2015 (I got my first one two months after they launched).

I had the Series 1 for two years and replaced it with a Series 3 stainless steel w/ LTE model this past October when they were released.

The Series 3 is head and shoulders better than the Series 1 (and 2) and is absolutely a worthy accessory.

It’s really nice to have. And makes life better.

Posts: 5072 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
My Bride just replaced her early one with a new modern one and she loves both of them. Takes hers off at night to put on the charger. She says the new one is much improved over her old one. Holds a charge longer, and she doesn’t need to have her phone with her to link to the new watch.

Posts: 26905 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
Not an Apple Watch but in the smart watch usage theme I bought my wife a Samsung watch for Christmas and see uses it daily. Everything from notifications on her phone, controlling the music streaming through her phone, timers and reminders, and tracking steps and activity.

The more she uses it, the more uses she finds for it.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3851 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I don't really maximize the usefulness of mine. I just use it to check texts and take phone calls while I'm driving at work. But when it rains, it's completely useless to me because when the watch face gets wet it does whatever the hell it wants to do like make phone calls to random numbers.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Angus the Kid:
I've been thinking of getting an Apple Watch, but I'm not sure how much I'll really use the damn thing. I hate wasting money.

For those of you that have had an Apple Watch for a while, what do you think now?

Do you still wear it? Do you still find it useful? Are your regretting spending that money? Is it the best iPhone accessory ever?

BTW, I've had AirPods for 5 months and absolutely love those damn things!

Thanks in advance.

I ordered my Apple Watch at 3:00am in the morning (Eastern), which was midnight in San Francisco the day they went on the market. It arrived on April 24, the first day one could order one through the Apple Store.

On April 25, I took off for a vacation to Hawaii. My airline boarding pass was loaded onto it, and I could just place the watch face on the reader as I boarded the plane. When I arrived, I plugged my hotel destination into Apple Maps and as I drove the unfamiliar drive at night, the watch gently tapped me on the wrist when a turn was coming up.

Since then, I wear it every day. It will be three years in two weeks. The battery life is less than it was originally, but it can still go a full day without needing charging. I use it for sports scores, weather, receiving (not sending) text messages, taking phone calls (when using my phone would be difficult), reminders, and Apple Pay.

There are built-in health and activity checks and motivators. I sometimes find these annoying, but they do actually help me stay more active at times. There are a lot of watch-enabled apps that I have installed, but don't use them that often. Finding a charging station for an EV, for example. Writing a daily blog, getting Etsy and eBay notices, and more. FYI, GunBroker is watch-enabled! Smile

I'm actually thinking of upgrading to a series 3. My series 1 requires tethering to an iPhone. The newer watches can be their own phone (not my thing, but still...) has its own GPS, and is more like a stand-alone computer. Yes, I like it and recommend it!

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rangeme101
posted Hide Post
To add to OP, how long is battery lasting on series 3? Do you have to charge it every night? Among other reasons one thing I’m really interested in is using it for sleep monitoring. But how do you do that if it’s on the charger all night? Charge it at some point during the day?

How durable has the watch been? I’m a long time G-Shock wearer. I don’t purposely beat up my watches but I also don’t worry about them. My current G-Shock is 14 yrs old and still looks great. I wear it daily. With its original battery.

The only negative I see so far is battery life on Apple Watch. Samsung and Garmin state days of use instead of hours between charging.

" like i said,....i didn't build it, i didn't buy it, and i didn't break it."

Posts: 1299 | Location: N. Georgia | Registered: March 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I bought a LNIB used Apple Watch, Series 1, Gen. 2, last June. Love it.

Use it mostly to get notifications (calendar, alarm system, surveillance cameras), but also as a health and fitness aid and sometimes the countdown timer.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
quote:
The only negative I see so far is battery life on Apple Watch. Samsung and Garmin state days of use instead of hours between charging.

This is what has kept me away from the Apple watch. I get about two weeks out of my Garmin.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6487 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Life's too short to
live by the rules
posted Hide Post
I have the first generation Apple Watch. I mostly just wear it to work. I don't use any of the apps on it as they are WAY too slow. Other then the time keeping features, the only two I use are the notifications (text, email etc) and the ability to unlock my MacBook without having to enter my password. That's about it. As far as the slow apps, apparently the latter Generations are better, but I don't have an experience with those. I'm not so sure I would buy again.

Chris

Posts: 1696 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: August 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had mine for 6 months. Wear it every day. Mostly use it to 1.unlock my MacBook and iMac automatically when I sit down, 2. notifications of calls, emails, texts, 3.apple pay, just place wrist near terminal no need to get phone or wallet out, 4. remote control for Sonos home speaker system 5.weather alerts 6.fitness tracking

I charge it every night but most nights it is only about 1/4 drained.

It is surprisingly robust. The sapphire screen has no scratches on it and I am pretty active.

It is very comfortable, I dont even realize I am wearing it.

Posts: 1995 | Location: DFW Texas | Registered: March 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Series 3. Use it as everyday watch. Without using GPS the battery easily goes 2 maybe 3 days. I tend to charge it nearly every day though. The magnetic charger is easy to use and it charges fast. I can take a shower and get dressed and just that short time adds quite a bit of battery life.

For running it has been great. I definitely underutilize it. I like to transcribe text messages on it. The voice texting feature works great and I find myself texting waaaay more that I ever did using the phone.

I will totally get another when this one dies.

Posts: 7474 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rangeme101
posted Hide Post
real world experience on xion glass or sapphire? Since there is a few hundred dollar difference. I’m looking for durability like a G-Shock. Glad to hear battery lasting longer.

" like i said,....i didn't build it, i didn't buy it, and i didn't break it."

Posts: 1299 | Location: N. Georgia | Registered: March 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
About 2.5 years using mine, wear it daily. I usually get 2 days use on a charge.

Love it, definitely is a bonus to the iPhone especially because we can’t have our phones (or other cellular devices) on the ops floor at work. I leave my phone in the car and because it and the watch are both hitting the building WiFi, watch stays connect and I get my texts and other notifications (ring door bell, garage opening, etc. )

I also use it for tracking activity/work outs etc. definitely been worth the cost to me.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10940 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Oh yeah, almost forgot: Apple Pay. Apple Pay rocks with an Apple Watch Smile

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bald Headed Squirrel Hunter
Picture of Angus the Kid
posted Hide Post
Maybe I didn't make myself clear.....You guys were supposed to discourage me from buying this thing Big Grin

"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss"

Posts: 6141 | Location: In the tent, in Houston, in Texas | Registered: October 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Angus the Kid:
Maybe I didn't make myself clear.....You guys were supposed to discourage me from buying this thing Big Grin

I don't think we're allowed to do that as per the waiver.

posted Hide Post
I use mine as GPS for golf too. Several available apps.

Way too many uses for me to ever give it up now.

Weather in the morning as I get dressed too.

Posts: 514 | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post