SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Happy 10th Anniversary Toshiba Satellite A135-xxxx
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Happy 10th Anniversary Toshiba Satellite A135-xxxx Login/Join 
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted
My laptop has reached (guesstimation) this incredible milestone.

It was brought from the US originally with the infamous Vista in 2007 and been through a not soon enough XP Pro replacement, followed by Alpha, Betas and final W7 Ultimate and Pro and briefly W10 and W10 Anniversary that didn´t do well enough to become the current OS.
W7 Pro 32 suits you the best. Even a lighter ChaletOS wasn`t your cup of tea.

Hardwarewise, you had your misshaps. Once declared DOA by a shop, you were diagnosed with a fried mobo, no explanation provided. My own techie friend accused you of having a drinking problem (someone told me afterwards my sister spilled Sprite on you, she denied). A patient internal cleanup and a keyboard replacement put you back in business for $30 instead of the $750 that the shop demanded.
Your DVD drive was replaced once and the succesor`s life was brief, uneventful and ignored.
Your battery has been kept on life support until quite recently and then stopped charging after a power surge a couple of months ago. The internal clock died a peaceful death as well and now you boot to Jan. 2005 every time.
Still, an SSD drive brought you a second youth and now I can watch DVD folders once again without stutters. dare not try a large MKV file for fear off dissapointment.

You`ve been on 24/7 for the past 6 years. Hats off to you.

I`m very thankful for your service. long live my Tosh! Cool

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12110 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
My Satellite treated me well, too. I had mine for 7 years and it traveled the country and world with me for all 7 years of its life while I was on active duty. Been around the world multiple times with it.

I replaced it with an HP Beats because it was on sale. While the technology is much newer and faster, obviously, I sometimes still miss that Satellite. In fact, the Satellite still works for the most part. I use it for my iTunes until I can figure out how to export the music to the HP.

Posts: 13112 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hats off, indeed. My TECRA from roughly that same era was one of the toughest machines I've ever used. It was employer issued and was used at least 10 hours a day for at least 5 days a week as a remote employee on call around the clock. It was rarely turned off, just restarted daily. Employer took it back after a few years and forced a new DELL on me. It was OK but I still wish they would have let me buy that TECRA instead of having to turn it in.

Today's TOSHIBAs? Not hearing great things and that's too bad.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"And it's time that particularly, some of our corporations learned, that when you get in bed with government, you're going to get more than a good night's sleep."
- Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5785 | Location: Pegram, TN | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
My Toshiba Satellite running Win XP passed the 10 year mark last October.

I'm just waiting for Microsoft to author an acceptable OS.

Posts: 107596 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
My Toshiba Satellite running Win XP passed the 10 year mark last October.

I'm just waiting for Microsoft to author an acceptable OS.

^^

If they told the programmers "make a smaller, faster, functionally identical version of XP that we can support", they'd sell $Billions.

Posts: 15031 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
My first laptop was a Toshiba. It didn't have any hard drive. Had two 3 1/2" floppy drives, one was for the system and the other for data.

I think I bought it for $1200 used.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19663 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
10 years old. That's about 70 in computer years.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Did you come from behind
that rock, or from under it?

Picture of Audioholic
posted Hide Post
I've got a Toshiba Satellite A135-S4527 still in semi-regular use. It came with Vista OS so it was a bit of a slug from day one but some years back I wiped it and installed Ubuntu Linux. The laptop is more responsive and reliable with Linux than it ever was with Windoze.

I think it originally cost around $650-700 but the only other money spent on it was to max out the RAM at time of purchase. Beyond that it's cost $0 other than a little time to keep the OS updated and blow some dust out.

The battery in it is original, now good for all of 3-5 minutes runtime. Toshiba batteries were (are?) overpriced so I tried a cheaper aftermarket one from Amazon once but that kicked up warnings so it got returned. There's always power near where it's used so it just stays plugged in.

The A135 initially served me as a work laptop for programming remotes and AV gear and later for my wife as a DVR (after canning VCRs). Nowadays it's main use is out in the garage to access tech manuals or find crap on the web. It's geriatric but still kicking!

* The day Microsloth authors an OS that isn't bloated or vampiric on resources and privacy is the day they'll reanimate Rod Serling and have him ride in on a comet to promote it. Wink

"Every time you think you weaken the nation" Moe Howard

Posts: 2048 | Location: Out standing in my field. | Registered: February 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rangeme101
posted Hide Post
My HP Pavillion is 10-11 yrs old. Bought it as a demo shelf unit for half price at the time, $600. It's a Vista OS. Has wireless connections and Bluetooth. Replaced the battery about 5 yrs ago. Still works just slow as hell. 2 windows and that's it. If you try more it just sits there and looks at you dumb. It's an entertainment unit with the Windows Media Center. Came with a full size multi function remote, video cables, tv antenna and such. Only has RCA and S-Video so no HD output. I still have original box and all the paperwork and accessories.

Has the best laptop screen image I've ever seen even compared to newer ones I've seen. I watch movies a few times a year on travel. But usually about half way through the DVD drive starts humming and the underside gets really hot. I have a small fan I put on it during playback to keep it cool and running ok during movie playback. It's the only time it gets really hot. I would love to up the RAM and install an SSD but it has a 2G limit and is already maxed out from factory.

I just can't seem to just get rid of it. It still looks like new. Even though it's first few years it was used daily and very mobile.

" like i said,....i didn't build it, i didn't buy it, and i didn't break it."

Posts: 1299 | Location: N. Georgia | Registered: March 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post