SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Medical “facts” you were taught when young—?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Medical “facts” you were taught when young—? Login/Join 
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Medical “facts” you were taught when young—?

Men and boys are not the same as women and girls - there was no mention of anything in-between or hybrids.

Posts: 22902 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Walk it off!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16086 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:
Tilt your head back to stop a nosebleed .

I was told this by an ENT,,

not to stop it, but to let the blood run down your throat instead of out your face,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
Sitting close to the TV will ruin your eyes and irradiate you. A few more feet back, and you'll be fine.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Facts that have been discredited or are no longer recommended:
- Prolonged bedrest for back injuries helps you recover faster.
- Oxygen for all cardiac chest pain.
- Beta blockers are bad for all heart failure.
- Bronchodilator treatment with a nebulizer has a better therapeutic effect than treatment with an inhaler of same med.
- A shot of Toradol has a better therapeutic effect than treatment with oral NSAID.

Myths:
- Go out in the cold and rain, and you'll catch pneumonia.
- The flu shot will give you the flu.

Myths/facts/myths/facts/myths....
Coffee is bad for you. Razz

Q

Posts: 26375 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
If you swallow poison, you should try to vomit it out (when was the last time you saw Ipecac syrup in someone's medicine cabinet?).

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16340 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
A grade-school teacher for some reason told the class one way to find out if you had worms was to put masking tape over your taint when you went to bed. If you had worms, they would venture out at night, and stick to the tape. Maybe she figured they'd be tapeworms?

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusbro:
A grade-school teacher for some reason told the class one way to find out if you had worms was to put masking tape over your taint when you went to bed. If you had worms, they would venture out at night, and stick to the tape. Maybe she figured they'd be tapeworms?

That's actually true. Pinworms.

Q

Posts: 26375 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:

Interesting. So what do you catch if you put a pin in your anus at night?

Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
<snip>
On the other hand,
Food allergies (other than strawberries) were virtually unknown. <snip>

When I was a kid, my family, and ALL of our neighbors, grew strawberries. But this is the first I’ve heard of strawberry allergies.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8942 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
She can't get pregnant the first time.

Posts: 4278 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sitting close to the TV will ruin your eyes and irradiate you. A few more feet back, and you'll be fine.

I remember that. Had no idea my grandmother was invoking the inverse square law Big Grin

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
<snip>
On the other hand,
Food allergies (other than strawberries) were virtually unknown. <snip>

When I was a kid, my family, and ALL of our neighbors, grew strawberries. But this is the first I’ve heard of strawberry allergies.
Allergies to peanuts and strawberries are probably the most common. I love strawberries and have always said that if I had to have an allergy, I was glad it was to Bermuda grass and not strawberries. . . .

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
So swimming after eating.

If you swallow gum it will be in your stomach forever.

My first first-aid class taught tourniquet although mostly improvised ones. To only be used after pressure and then pressure points failed. Then we stopped teaching it and now it's back again.

Sucking the venom out of snake bites.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: comet24,

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16397 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dont drink water while /working out or you will cramp up....so said my old football coach during 2 a days

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
* If you eat watermelon seeds, a new watermelon will grow in your belly.
* An apple a day keeps the doctor away.

God bless America.

Posts: 13494 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by comet24:
... If you swallow gun it will be in your stomach forever. ...
Well, then the gubmint can't confiscate it.

Posts: 45373 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:

Interesting. So what do you catch if you put a pin in your anus at night?

A really interesting medical history to explain to the proctologist.

But I learned it at SIGforum....

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31435 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
My dad: "Is it bleeding?"

Me: "No"

My dad: "You'll live."

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Handle a frog and get warts

Put nail polish on an embedded tick

If it didn’t hurt it wouldn’t heal the wound—speaking of merthiolate and mercurochrome.

Posts: 13255 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post