SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Medical “facts” you were taught when young—?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Medical “facts” you were taught when young—? Login/Join 
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted
... and have since been discredited, or treatments that weren’t known?

In thinking back on my life, one significant change over the years has been medical knowledge about common problems. Some of the ones I remember:

Rub snow on frostbite injuries.
Put butter on burns.
Various snakebite treatments.
Tourniquets for severe bleeding were dangerous and discouraged, but if used, needed to be loosened periodically.
Resuscitation of drowning victims was limited to chest compressions and indirect chest expansion with the arms, but once the heart stopped, further efforts should be discontinued because the person was dead and couldn’t be revived.

On the other hand,
Food allergies (other than strawberries) were virtually unknown.
No one had EpiPens for insect stings.
Cold water on burns to relieve pain wasn’t recognized as a treatment until years later.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Mom always said to never plug your nose and try to exhale through your nose or you’ll burst your ear drum

About a dozen years ago, I got an ear infection in both ears and had pressure in both ears for 6 weeks. When the pressure finally went away I had tinnitus. I saw an ENT and he asked, “why didn’t you just plug your nose, exhale through it, and alleviate the pressure?” I replied that I was taught it would burst your ear drum. He said that it won’t and I should be doing it to alleviate pressure. Flying is much better now. Wish I had learned this without first getting tinnitus.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23254 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
If you eat gum it stays in your stomach for 7 years! Big Grin

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The classic "Don't swim for an hour after eating!"

Jim

Posts: 1349 | Location: Southern Black Hills | Registered: September 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
Swimming after eating.
I was told I could drown.
Navy said otherwise.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Eating fish and drinking milk at the same meal would give you food poisoning.

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nighthawk
posted Hide Post
If you don’t stop you will go blind, where is my glasses at.

"Hold my beer.....Watch this".

Posts: 5933 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Swimming before Memorial Day (cold water) will give you polio.

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Moving cash
for money
posted Hide Post
I remember my first first lay responder CPR course (I was in grade school) teaching the precodordial thump. I remember pressure points being taught to control severe bleeding. And more recently we no longer lift legs to treat shock.

"When in danger or in doubt, run in circles scream and shout" R.I.P. R.A.H.
Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga
NRA Basic Rifle Instructor
Red Cross First Aid/CPR/AED Adult/Child/Infant Instructor
Red Cross Wilderness First Aid Instructor

Posts: 9912 | Location: Jawjah | Registered: December 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tilt your head back to stop a nosebleed .

Posts: 4056 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bald Headed Squirrel Hunter
Picture of Angus the Kid
posted Hide Post
Do not drink milk if you have a fever.

"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss"

Posts: 6141 | Location: In the tent, in Houston, in Texas | Registered: October 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
A lot of the ones posted above.

And if you look at someone with Pink eyes you'll catch it.

Posts: 13020 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you cross your eyes, they might stay that way.

Posts: 265 | Location: Weatherford, TX | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Eating fat makes you fat.

Cholesterol over 200 means you're damn near dead already.

Girls have cooties.

You can get AIDS from pretty much just thinking about it.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
Fat is bad.

“Whole grains” are good.

Red meat causes cancer.

If you go bare foot after it rains you will get the ground itch.

Skim milk is better than whole milk.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Castor oil is good for you

Posts: 547 | Location: Dothan, Alabama | Registered: August 27, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Cold water on burns to relieve pain wasn’t recognized as a treatment until years later.

I had a severe third degree burn that I treated by putting it in ice water. Doctor told me it may have helped with the pain, but the added shock of the extreme temperature change helped pull away the outer skin layer from the cooked ones below, leading to a blister the size of a softball. He advised me that initial first aid of a bad burn should be running it under slightly warm water at first and decreasing the temperature gradually, as it doesn’t shock the burned skin so badly, while still helping to draw out heat from the burned area. I was also later told the same thing by a chef who had a slip and fall accident next to a deep fryer and managed to put one arm up to the elbow into 350 degree grease. Her burn ward doctor told her the scarring would have been extreme had she ran it under cold water or put it immediately in an ice bath.

Posts: 17125 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
The most dramatic change I've noticed is definitely the wholesale embracing of tourniquets.

It went from a last resort kind of thing that most people looked down upon, to a standard piece of equipment that nearly all soldiers and cops carry and go to immediately if the extremity wound is moderate to severe.

Posts: 32508 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Cracking your knuckles makes them grow. I still don't know if there is any truth to this.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38675 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Girls have cooties.

Most of us learned otherwise at about the age of 13.
Big Grin

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24115 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post