SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How do you sleep?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How do you sleep? Login/Join 
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I can only sleep in a fairly narrow temperature range, basically from 70 to 75 degrees. If it's colder, I can throw on a heavier blanket/comforter. If it's hotter, I'm kind of screwed.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
I live for that period when it's cool enough to sleep with the window open...spring or fall...I always sleep better at cooler temps and a ceiling fan on low...during the winter the heat is set on 65 degrees. ZZZZZZZZZZZ Smile

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10588 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
"You can always get warmer, you can't get cooler"

I prefer cool to cold, light cover (sheet), airflow (outside or fan), and a rock hard surface.

That right there is what dreams are made of.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E Pluribus Unum
Picture of JRC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
Another all of the above. I like the room chilly enough to produce goosebumps, but crawl in, pull the blankies and comforter up until just my nose is sticking out. Takes a minute to warm things up, but once there, I sleep like a cat.

When I get up to pee (which, at 67, is often...) sliding back into that nice, warm nest will invariably produce a big grin as I wiggle back into a comfy position and go back to sleep.

Problem is, I thrash in my sleep. I don't remember any of it, but I wake up in the morning and the blankets are all in a heap, pillow cases on the floor, just generally looking like a tornado hit the place. Apparently, I snore too.

Add to that the fact that my wife and I are on opposite circadian rhythms (she's a night owl, I'm in bed by 8:00 and up by 4:30 or 5:00) and separate bedrooms become a Good Thing.

OMG! Mrs. JRC and I are in exactly the same place, except that we are 57!!! Eek

What else are the things to come???

Posts: 1407 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: March 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
not looking forward to the summer time sleeping conditions.

there is something wonderful about a 58 or 60 degree room with four layers of blankets , weighing you down,

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54638 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
I have never had to sleep with a wife, but I have slept with many girlfriends.

If the bed gets uncomfortable I just retire to the old green cot. It meets the three requirements:

1) It is a firm comfortable sleeping surface.
2) It is above ground.
3) You do not get awoken by the movements of others

If you follow these three requirements you will always sleep well.

Picture of 226Reasons
posted Hide Post
Under blankets but the house has to be 70 degrees or cooler. Regardless of how much sleep I never feel rested.

Posts: 1327 | Location: TN | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
The cooler the better, I had getting into bed and being hot and sticky, it just sucks. I always turn the A/C down a few degrees before bedtime just to be sure it's nice and cool.

Posts: 3851 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thermonuclear Vulcan
Picture of Zebulon
posted Hide Post
Triazolam.... Wink ....Zebulon

Posts: 2761 | Location: Central North Carolina | Registered: November 19, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
66 degrees or less, colder the better, with a feather comforter and no top sheet. In the buff of course Wink

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:...
I prefer cool to cold, light cover (sheet), airflow (outside or fan), and a rock hard surface.

That right there is what dreams are made of.

You would have enjoyed our Scout winter camp in the mountains at 20 below. Smile

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Troop 22 Whitman, MA Smile

I always loved the cold but fell in love at mountain warefare in the USMC. Bridgeport CA.

Nothing puts you to sleep like a hard bed (off the ground), a cold breeze, and the squirrels chirping.

Of course sometime the significant others don't understand why you ababdoned their bed for a cot in the living room with Gladiator on the TV...

Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
I sleep better in cool/cold conditions, provided I am under my old style patch quilts.

My bedroom at home was not heated. As a result, I had 3 layers of the old heavy quilts on my bed to keep me warm. I grew used to having a lot of weight on me when I slept, that has carried over today, comforters, and flannel quilts just don't cut it.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
The bed can be warmish, but room itself needs to be cool. I am prone to night sweats if the room is much over 70. I hate waking up dripping wet, and having to change the sheets. That's a poor night's sleep.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10354 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
Better if it’s cool, with feet out. Gotta breathe

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
No A/C. If necessary, circulating air. Window open in summer, necessary. 1 leg out, light blanket in winter. Sheet in summer.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5319 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smithnsig:
I think I remember the doc saying it’s better to sleep in the cold. I can’t remember why.

I attended a seminar given by Dr. Jarrod Spencer, a sports psychologist who has worked with athletes from a number of colleges and universities including the University of Maryland, Old Dominion University, Lehigh University and others. At one point he rhetorically asked, "Do you ever wonder why hotels set their guest rooms so cold?"

The answer he gave was that the body sleeps best when the ambient temperature is 63°F!

Yes, you have blankets and other covers, but the best sleep occurs when the room temperature is much lower than you'd expect.

When I was a college student in Munich, Germany, I would routinely leave a window open in the heart of the Bavarian winter to prevent my room from getting overheated.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
What is this sleep of which you speak?

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5398 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10 November, 1775
Picture of MarinetoRN
posted Hide Post
Really, I just want to find a comfortable position. Too many painful joints Frown

SiGArm'd

P220ST X2, 1911 Revolution, P245, P229 RTTEQ/ST .40 X2, P226ST, Mosquito
Other weaponry not SIG

Glocks are ugly.
I don't like repeat offenders, I like dead offenders.

Posts: 2471 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: August 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by petr:
With my eyes closed.
That was my first response.

I voted for #1, but in reality I don't like it either way. I keep my house at 70°F morning and night, all year long. I sleep in a lounge chair, often fully clothed, and sometimes have a very light blanket over my bare arms (the air handler makes a draft). I usually have from 1 to 3 cats sleeping on me, as well.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post